Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

19 Sep 2018 00:37

So many riders not going to Innsbruck who say they can't afford the money.
Tim Booth

Re:

19 Sep 2018 01:20

Valv.Piti wrote:

Very nice spanish team, last chance for Valverde most likely. Maybe Yorkshire could be relevant as well (It will), but he wont get a better chance than here. They have some riders which did great in La Vuelta and is in shape.

Can you share the profile for Yorkshire? I have not seen this one yet.
Normally it should be available already by now.
Asero831

Re:

19 Sep 2018 02:15

Valv.Piti wrote:And Sagan and Greg which the route most likely will eliminate, but maybe not before the last climb. Of the more obscure nations, look out for Carapaz - he looked in great shape on the Andorra stage and he definitely is a rider for steep walls in the end.

Denmark havent selected Kragh because he said he didn't want to. Of course he would auto selected no matter what on any given route, basically. Pedersen and Cort are too tired at this point and the route isn't great for them. I believe Valgren has a better shot at making a great result than Fuglsang.

The Yates brothers look great, particularly Adam. I understand why Froome and Thomas skips the race, Froome is a horrible one day racer with the Giro and Tour in the legs and Thomas won the Tour. Thats the worlds on steroids during 21 days.

Very nice spanish team, last chance for Valverde most likely. Maybe Yorkshire could be relevant as well (It will), but he wont get a better chance than here. They have some riders which did great in La Vuelta and is in shape.

And the Australian coach must be utterly retarded. I cant believe they allow such incompency, thinking that Porte/Haig will do the trick is beyong retarded really. Matthews could do great on this course Im sure.

Matthews is a tough one. Haig and Simon Clarke had to be included at least for their team work. Porte is the big question mark. If they included Matthews they still would not have dumped Porte which means they drop a domestique. Not so good for the team. Going into the race with three leaders not so good either. If Porte does something the managers will look like geniuses but many people have their doubts. With Matthews hitting form late in the season you would think that would be enough to get him selected. Even Matthews will find this course tough I think but if he outlasted Sagan and others and had to sprint against someone like Valverde, at the moment he would have to have a good chance.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2018 03:43

movingtarget wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:And Sagan and Greg which the route most likely will eliminate, but maybe not before the last climb. Of the more obscure nations, look out for Carapaz - he looked in great shape on the Andorra stage and he definitely is a rider for steep walls in the end.

Denmark havent selected Kragh because he said he didn't want to. Of course he would auto selected no matter what on any given route, basically. Pedersen and Cort are too tired at this point and the route isn't great for them. I believe Valgren has a better shot at making a great result than Fuglsang.

The Yates brothers look great, particularly Adam. I understand why Froome and Thomas skips the race, Froome is a horrible one day racer with the Giro and Tour in the legs and Thomas won the Tour. Thats the worlds on steroids during 21 days.

And the Australian coach must be utterly retarded. I cant believe they allow such incompency, thinking that Porte/Haig will do the trick is beyong retarded really. Matthews could do great on this course Im sure.

Matthews is a tough one. Haig and Simon Clarke had to be included at least for their team work. Porte is the big question mark. If they included Matthews they still would not have dumped Porte which means they drop a domestique. Not so good for the team. Going into the race with three leaders not so good either. If Porte does something the managers will look like geniuses but many people have their doubts. With Matthews hitting form late in the season you would think that would be enough to get him selected. Even Matthews will find this course tough I think but if he outlasted Sagan and others and had to sprint against someone like Valverde, at the moment he would have to have a good chance.

For Matthews to have a good chance of winning, he’d need this course to be raced very negatively, with a weak early break allowed to stay away for a long time. He could have been brought as a domestique, as he’s underrated as a rouleur but I don’t think the Australian team would benefit from an especially hard race early when there’s so many much stronger teams.

Any other course he’s undisputed leader in his current form though.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2018 04:09

movingtarget wrote:

Matthews had to be selected because of his previous form in the World's - I am very confident that Matthews would last with the leaders until the last 20kms and of course he would be invaluable support for the team leader - Actually would have chosen Matthews before Porte and made Haig the leader - Haig rode well in last year's World's and in LBL this year - An in-form Haig can top 10 - Actually outside of Yates the MS rider who could do well is Kreuziger who has prepared well for this event.
yaco

19 Sep 2018 04:24

Matthews.

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2018 05:03

42x16ss wrote:Matthews.

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.

Glad to have cleared that up. Silly us stupid people.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

19 Sep 2018 05:06

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.

Obviously the team management think the same. I think all of the Matthews type riders will be up against it on this course and the Worlds usually is a war of attrition.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 06:13

tobydawq wrote:

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.

I am a big Matthews fan, but I cannot see him contending with the number of explosive pure climbers going to this race. GvA is a stronger climber and I don’t see him being a contender either.

These aren’t Ardennes climbs. Better climbers than Matthews will not be in contention.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 06:50

42x16ss wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.

I am a big Matthews fan, but I cannot see him contending with the number of explosive pure climbers going to this race. GvA is a stronger climber and I don’t see him being a contender either.

These aren’t Ardennes climbs. Better climbers than Matthews will not be in contention.

I think they are about the same climbing-wise. And I agree that he probably wouldn't be in contention but not selecting him really still seems too radical.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

19 Sep 2018 06:56

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.

Matthews might not realistically have a chance, but who's Australia gonna back? Porte who has never finished a one-day WT-race (except for Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong)? Jack Haig is probably their only shot at a top 20.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 07:23

I really can't get my head around Valverde being the 3/1 favourite for this race. Those are low odds for someone who finished the Vuelta looking like one more mountain would mean him climbing off. I don't think he will be in contention towards the end so I'm gonna have a sneaky few quid on Poels having a good day at 25's and an each way for NQ at 66's.
wheresmybrakes

19 Sep 2018 07:59

movingtarget wrote:Matthews is a tough one. Haig and Simon Clarke had to be included at least for their team work. Porte is the big question mark.[...]

If I were the australian DS I would have dumped Porte on principle. I mean he was just taking the piss all year long, why have even the tiniest bit of trust he would even try seriously here? Better give a younger guy the chance to gather some experience.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2018 08:30

wheresmybrakes wrote:I really can't get my head around Valverde being the 3/1 favourite for this race. Those are low odds for someone who finished the Vuelta looking like one more mountain would mean him climbing off. I don't think he will be in contention towards the end so I'm gonna have a sneaky few quid on Poels having a good day at 25's and an each way for NQ at 66's.

100% this. Valverde has struggled at the worlds when he finished the vuelta in great shape, this time he finished it in horrible shape. I think I we have reached the point where this race just doesn't have a favorite at all
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 08:30

I would bring Matthews on principle, he's easily one of Australia's best riders on this course.

Id go for Haig, let Matthews hang on as long ss possible and i'd bring Porte to see if hes up to any good
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: World Championships Innsbruck 2018

19 Sep 2018 08:33

Australia is a weird cycling country. A lot of top end talent but very little depth.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

19 Sep 2018 08:47

Gigs_98 wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:I really can't get my head around Valverde being the 3/1 favourite for this race. Those are low odds for someone who finished the Vuelta looking like one more mountain would mean him climbing off. I don't think he will be in contention towards the end so I'm gonna have a sneaky few quid on Poels having a good day at 25's and an each way for NQ at 66's.

100% this. Valverde has struggled at the worlds when he finished the vuelta in great shape, this time he finished it in horrible shape. I think I we have reached the point where this race just doesn't have a favorite at all

Yeah, gonna be very interesting to say the least.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

19 Sep 2018 09:43

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.

How likely is this snow forecast? Could we see a change of route with the high mountains snowed in. If so a bet on GVA or Sagan might be worth while and Matthews being left out becomes more of a mistake.
sprints n stones

19 Sep 2018 10:01

Asero831 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Can you share the profile for Yorkshire? I have not seen this one yet.
Normally it should be available already by now.

Yorkshire was supposed to be very easy, nothing to do with the usual Tour de Yorkshire stages but maybe they'll change something considering that Cavendish is done.
Nirvana

19 Sep 2018 10:06

The route for 2019 should be announced soon (during the Innsbruck WC would be my guess)
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing