Register

Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Oct 2018 11:10

Valverde to win the bike race and Velo d'Or!

I wouldn't be surprised if he retired on the spot, why not go out on top.
DanielSong39

Re:

11 Oct 2018 11:12

Laplaz wrote:Btw, MAL is not starting on Saturday, strange decision :rolleyes:

He's out of form, and we know what out of form cyclists do - DNF while failing to make a significant impact on the race.
DanielSong39

Re:

11 Oct 2018 12:13

DanielSong39 wrote:Valverde to win the bike race and Velo d'Or!

didn't he want to do the Olympics or so?
User avatar Lexman

Re:

11 Oct 2018 13:50

SafeBet wrote:Milano Torino is basically a long Vuelta stage and it is raced as such. It's no surprise it's the only classic where Superman has performed well.
Lombardia is a Monument, where descending, positioning, endurance and tactics can play a major role.

I have seen nothing suggesting Superman can win Lombardia so far in his career. Even in 2016, when he won Milano Torino, he did not finish Lombardia.

This.

He did bad at the worlds. Why would we expect a different result from Lombardia?

But I admit it, I am puzzled by the results at those longer races. He probably will get better at it with time.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 14:00

Superman crashed at the worlds (or was implicated in a crash). So I wouldnt use that as an argument. But I definitely understand where you are coming from, BUT it still seems totally stupid not to ride are in the area and is in pretty good shape.

Will be a nice and sunny day in Lombardia Saturday btw, no rain.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

11 Oct 2018 16:56

And skip a Year of riding in the Rainbow? No Chance!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

11 Oct 2018 22:22

No way. He's way too excited to be racing for a full year in the rainbow stripes. Plus he wants another shot at the Olympics. The other thing you're forgetting is how much he truly loves racing. When he's been forced away from the sport for any reason it reminds him how much he really loves it. When he was injured last year he fought so hard to get back because he just couldn't imagine life without racing.
User avatar Koronin

11 Oct 2018 23:35

Valverde already has sewn up the UCI championship, that's 5 now. What would he need to do to win the Velo d'Or? (Obviously he's a cinch if he wins Il Lombardia)
DanielSong39

Re:

11 Oct 2018 23:41

DanielSong39 wrote:Valverde already has sewn up the UCI championship, that's 5 now. What would he need to do to win the Velo d'Or? (Obviously he's a cinch if he wins Il Lombardia)

Yes it's 5. He won two under the old system and two since his return. Somewhere in between his 2nd and 3rd they changed the system.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2018 00:41

Koronin wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:Valverde already has sewn up the UCI championship, that's 5 now. What would he need to do to win the Velo d'Or? (Obviously he's a cinch if he wins Il Lombardia)

Yes it's 5. He won two under the old system and two since his return. Somewhere in between his 2nd and 3rd they changed the system.

Velo d'Or who gives a cr@p? We'll sort it out soon enough. The GDL is the topic. There will be a time, and Simon catch-me-if-you-can has merit.

Back on topic (I feel like a mod again :) ), a win would give Valverde a big boost. And rainbow plus win equals greatness on Saturday. A big case to be made for the award. Closing the deal.

GDL it is. Valverde is the man to beat. There are many sharks in this tank. We will learn a lot about who are the wheelsuckers, who has b@lls, if we don't know it already.

Pinot will put it all on the line. For the win. Who else?
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

12 Oct 2018 00:47

Tonton wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Velo d'Or who gives a cr@p? We'll sort it out soon enough. The GDL is the topic. There will be a time, and Simon catch-me-if-you-can has merit.

Back on topic (I feel like a mod again :) ), a win would give Valverde a big boost. And rainbow plus win equals greatness on Saturday. A big case to be made for the award. Closing the deal.

GDL it is. Valverde is the man to beat. There are many sharks in this tank. We will learn a lot about who are the wheelsuckers, who has b@lls, if we don't know it already.

Add Nibali, even if he's not at 100% he'll try something at some point. Maybe Woods will try something if he's feeling good?
User avatar Koronin

Re: Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

12 Oct 2018 01:01

Nibali may be playing one of his tricks again. Like attacking SK getting food, crash and Giro win, or last year's GDL, Pinot gets a drink and he attacks. Asymmetric warfare. Guerrilla tactics. He has made a living being under-estimated. He's prepared, can't be discounted. Nibali can punk anyone, like Vino ;) :D .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

12 Oct 2018 01:29

Tonton wrote:Nibali may be playing one of his tricks again. Like attacking SK getting food, crash and Giro win, or last year's GDL, Pinot gets a drink and he attacks. Asymmetric warfare. Guerrilla tactics. He has made a living being under-estimated. He's prepared, can't be discounted. Nibali can punk anyone, like Vino ;) :D .

Beyond those two I really don't see anyone else really trying much. Obviously Valverde is the favorite, but he'd also prefer a small group finish where he can rely on his sprint. Of course the others can hope Valverde isn't on the form he was on at the Worlds or that he did too much celebrating.
User avatar Koronin

12 Oct 2018 06:31

I wouldn't rule out the Yates brothers completely. They should thrive on this kind of route.

I see no outlets or persons mentioning them even as jokers for the win.
Velolover2

12 Oct 2018 08:17

Roglic should also deserve a mention. And Bardet, of course.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

12 Oct 2018 08:18

Velolover2 wrote:I wouldn't rule out the Yates brothers completely. They should thrive on this kind of route.

Simon doesn't even take part. Adam looked about as bad as it can get on Wednesday
User avatar search

Re:

12 Oct 2018 08:22

Velolover2 wrote:I wouldn't rule out the Yates brothers completely. They should thrive on this kind of route.

Even if they had the form, which didn't appear to the be case in Innsbruck, neither has really proven that they are strong enough for monument distances yet. Best result so far is 8th for Adam in last year's LBL
User avatar Eyeballs Out

12 Oct 2018 09:43

Pinot, Valverde, Uran
Bardet, Nibali, Roglic, Woods
Outsiders.
User avatar Climbing

12 Oct 2018 10:01

A l e s s a n d r o - D e - M a r c h i
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

12 Oct 2018 12:01

Tonton wrote:
Koronin wrote:

It will be very hard for Pinot to reach the line solo regardless of the fact that he looks the strongest climber at the moment, it's impossible to have more than 10-15 sec. on top of Civiglio and Tibo is not a daredevil descender. His chance is if the chasers will take some time to figure out if they will bring Valverde to the line or not.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing