Register

General News Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

08 Jan 2019 11:58

Nirvana wrote:With the first week of 2019 gone UCI has implemented a part (i think the first one to go in effect, if i haven't missed something) of the local french mayor reform, the reorganization of rankings.

The WT ranking has been discontinued and two new rankings has been implemented along the World ranking, one for stage races (led by Simon Yates) and one for one day races (led by van Avermaet).

There are also big changes in the continental rankings that now are based on the nationality of the riders (i.e. every point scored by Valverde is counted in Europe Tour ranking, every point scored by Quintana is counted in America Tour ranking and so on). IMHO is a total non sense because in this way you only split the World ranking in five sub rankings that don't have alomost anything to do with the continental circuits since the best riders in every ranking have a vast majority of their points scored in WT races.
Now Impey led Africa Tour (with only 150 out of 1.444 points scored on African soil), Lopez led the America Tour, Lutsenko the Asia Tour, Valverde the Europe Tour and Matthews the Oceania Tour (without a single day of racing in Oceania since 2014 Tour Down Under).

The last addition is the 2020 Olympics qualification ranking (for nations) that count the points scored since the start of 2019 season (last year's Tour of Hainan).

https://www.uci.org/road/rankings

Does that mean that Impey, Lopez and Matthews now wear the continental tour leader jerseys (I think those continents, but not Europe, have a leader's jersey)? In all races, or only on that continent?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

09 Jan 2019 13:23

https://www.paris-nice.fr/en/stage-1

Paric Nice 2019 route is out.

Long ITT for this kind of race, Uniclimb HC MTF, usual Nice-Nice shenanigans. Other 5 stages are 100% crap, as befitting of an ASO race.

Only noticing now the Nice-Nice stage is the exact same as last year, and that that was different from the previous designs.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Jan 2019 13:42

Col de Turrini is one of the hardest MTF ever seen in PN, probably they want to attract GC riders with Tirreno returning to his traditional route for classics riders.

The first stages could be interesting in case of strong wind, usually they designs flat stages on exposed road and that has worked in the past. Anyway I want to see details of stage 1 finale, looking at the fact they put an intermediate sprint with only 3 kms to go probably means there is something that could force action.
Nirvana

09 Jan 2019 13:52

It's not that bad route. In fact, I wouldn't call it bad at all. But I guess you have to maintain the image, Red Rick
With the preceding UAE tour and retro Tirreno, I'd say the route will provide exciting racing in widened contenders' field.
The schedule like this (globalizing UAE, Paris - Nice, retro Tirreno - Adriatico) has huge potential. If I'd only live on a slice of the globe where the races fall into the evening prime time, that would be perfect.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

09 Jan 2019 17:03

1.6 km 8.1% is 1st category now. Sad!
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

09 Jan 2019 17:24

sir fly wrote:It's not that bad route. In fact, I wouldn't call it bad at all. But I guess you have to maintain the image, Red Rick
With the preceding UAE tour and retro Tirreno, I'd say the route will provide exciting racing in widened contenders' field.
The schedule like this (globalizing UAE, Paris - Nice, retro Tirreno - Adriatico) has huge potential. If I'd only live on a slice of the globe where the races fall into the evening prime time, that would be perfect.

Yeah, I guess so too.

Though, the first three stages don't seem very interesting at all. Neither does stage 6.

But the final couple of stages look nice. The last many years, the final stage has been one of the best stages of the entire racing season, and a hard uphill finale the day before is a good idea.

I'm a little worried by a 25km TT, though.
User avatar tobydawq

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2019 17:33

tobydawq wrote:I'm a little worried by a 25km TT, though.

That 25 km TT could be a stroke of genious. Imagine what Quintana and similar riders have to try on the MTF and/or the last stage.
User avatar Squire

09 Jan 2019 19:39

Standard Paris-Nice route. I see no reason to complain since it has been one of the best stage races the last many years. Col de Turini is a nice addition, so is a longish ITT and the last stage always delivers. I like stage 4, one for the classics men.

Remember, the first 2-3 flat stages in Paris-Nice always end up harder and more selective than you'd think.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Jan 2019 19:52

According to ANSA RCS is working to revive the "Settimana Ciclistica Internazionale", a stage race that was held during February in Sicily during 80s and 90s.

Note that in 2017 the previous regional government announced the Giro di Sicilia for the next October so, even if in the end nothing happened, means that there is interest for a race there.
Nirvana

09 Jan 2019 22:43

Paris-Nice wildcards announced: Cofidis, Delko Marseille Provence, Direct Energie, Team Arkea-Samsic and Vital Concept-B&B Hotels.

It's again all-French selection as the last year just expanded by one extra team invited. That is surprising but welcome I guess if we see more teams competing.
PeterB

Re:

10 Jan 2019 10:28

Valv.Piti wrote:Standard Paris-Nice route. I see no reason to complain since it has been one of the best stage races the last many years. Col de Turini is a nice addition, so is a longish ITT and the last stage always delivers. I like stage 4, one for the classics men.

Remember, the first 2-3 flat stages in Paris-Nice always end up harder and more selective than you'd think.

I wonder who's gonna ride it.

It's true that Tirreno is neglecting the climbers this year, but the ITT is kinda long. I think it depends on where Froome, Thomas, Roglic and Dumoulin are going. Dumoulin was confirmed for TA. Thomas might have unfinished business at TA, Roglic could go either way and I honestly think Froome would fancy a crack at it. One of these 4 would be the big favorite.

I just think the first 3 stages are too easy and the supposed hilly stages are just underwhelming. I like the change they made to the last stage last year. Cote de Peille is now basically the main climb of Paris Nice, and the little change they made it a much more suitable place for attack. Then again, old habits die hard.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: General News Thread

11 Jan 2019 10:31

It looks like Sky are sending Bernal/Kwiatkowski to PN and Moscon/Thomas to TA. Roglic is also already listed for TA.

Most of the Sky years, Froome skipped those two races. With Colombia 2.1 and UAE Tour in february, I guess we won't see him return to racing before Catalunya.
Max Rockatansky

Re: General News Thread

12 Jan 2019 02:16

Max Rockatansky wrote:It looks like Sky are sending Bernal/Kwiatkowski to PN and Moscon/Thomas to TA. Roglic is also already listed for TA.

Most of the Sky years, Froome skipped those two races. With Colombia 2.1 and UAE Tour in february, I guess we won't see him return to racing before Catalunya.

I'm fairly sure Froome is scheduled to go to UAE. Until start lists are finalized, who knows, but it does appear he is headed there.
User avatar Koronin

12 Jan 2019 09:59

Being an old sceptic, I wonder if the new UAE tour has "incentivized" coming to the Emirates?
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Jan 2019 14:50

Robert5091 wrote:Being an old sceptic, I wonder if the new UAE tour has "incentivized" coming to the Emirates?

No scepticism needed. It's an everyday thing for races, even smaller ones, to pay a certain team to show up and bring a certain name. It's the reason the middle east races have always had the field that they do, they give out lots of money so that Quickstep will force Alaphilippe to ride, Movistar Valverde, etc.
User avatar GuyIncognito

13 Jan 2019 01:14

GuyIncognito wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Being an old sceptic, I wonder if the new UAE tour has "incentivized" coming to the Emirates?

No scepticism needed. It's an everyday thing for races, even smaller ones, to pay a certain team to show up and bring a certain name. It's the reason the middle east races have always had the field that they do, they give out lots of money so that Quickstep will force Alaphilippe to ride, Movistar Valverde, etc.

You can assured they are pay big money to have certain riders there with their teams. I highly doubt Valverde would go there over Andalucia if it wasn't for a huge payday both he and his team are getting.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jan 2019 11:09

Koronin wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:

You can assured they are pay big money to have certain riders there with their teams. I highly doubt Valverde would go there over Andalucia if it wasn't for a huge payday both he and his team are getting.

I remember reading figures about that from Lefevre. I can't recall the exact numbers but it wasn't that much at all. And I very much doubt that any money from it goes to individual riders rather than to the team.
User avatar Flamin

13 Jan 2019 14:00

https://nos.nl/artikel/2266846-ek-wielrennen-dit-jaar-in-nederland.html

European Championships to be held in the the Netherlands. Which town isn't known yet, but it's between Ede, Den Bosch, and Emmen.

Gonna be a bunch of sprints
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 Jan 2019 14:07

Red Rick wrote:https://nos.nl/artikel/2266846-ek-wielrennen-dit-jaar-in-nederland.html

European Championships to be held in the the Netherlands. Which town isn't known yet, but it's between Ede, Den Bosch, and Emmen.

All at the same time, or are they going to repeat their bullshit We're just gonna hold the Juniors and U23 races completely in the shadow of the Tour move from last year?
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 14:08

RedheadDane wrote:
Red Rick wrote:https://nos.nl/artikel/2266846-ek-wielrennen-dit-jaar-in-nederland.html

All at the same time, or are they going to repeat their bullshit We're just gonna hold the Juniors and U23 races completely in the shadow of the Tour move from last year?

Mind telling that to the Giro Rosa organisors?
Last edited by GenericBoonenFan on 13 Jan 2019 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing