Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Feb 2019 12:34

Surely... if they is able to find a new sponsor. They will be on a smaller budget and some riders will probably leave the team right?
Salvarani

Re:

09 Feb 2019 12:46

Salvarani wrote:Surely... if they is able to find a new sponsor. They will be on a smaller budget and some riders will probably leave the team right?

A new sponsor might come up with all the cash - who knows?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Occam's razor - the best a man can get!
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

09 Feb 2019 15:28

Robert5091 wrote:
Salvarani wrote:Surely... if they is able to find a new sponsor. They will be on a smaller budget and some riders will probably leave the team right?

A new sponsor might come up with all the cash - who knows?

Okay.

I was asking a question from the standpoint that the new sponsor is not coming up with all the cash though. Will a portion of their "best riders" be leaving if that would be the case?
Salvarani

09 Feb 2019 16:46

I would guess that a UK based sponsor would keep G/Froome & the UK riders, but a Continental sponsor might well look to the future and keep the young riders (Bernal, Sousa) at the expense of the UK guys. It's all up in the air now, so nobody knows. Even the effects of Brexit might play a role.

User avatar Robert5091

11 Feb 2019 11:36

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-remains-tight-lipped-about-team-sky-sponsorship-prospects/
Asked if the UCI's new rule that teams wishing to apply for a 2020 WorldTour licence must do so by April 1 would pose a problem for him and the team, Brailsford again declined an answer.

That's another headache for SDB then.

User avatar Robert5091

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

13 Feb 2019 09:27

pastronef

13 Feb 2019 11:27

Explain's Froome being there too, why Bernal was given a 5 year contract on Year 0 & Sosa's desperate move too. Colombia was perhaps set to arrive in Tour Racing Ltd for 2021 anyway when Sky were supposed to be ending natural 10 year sponsorship in 2020. It's just been pushed forward a season maybe?
samhocking

13 Feb 2019 13:26

I was thinking about this a while ago. Having Bernal on a long-term deal and a few other riders from the region under contract might be attractive for some South-American companies.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

13 Feb 2019 14:20

The obvious candidate for sponsorship would be Ecopetrol the Colombian state oil company
MatParker117

13 Feb 2019 14:30

That won't happen with Ecopetrol. This was more in the lines of Coldeportes. But I am not sure if they have the money. It would be a really reduced budget team.

No wonder why Froome was doing campaign since November of last year. LOL. If something happens they keep him and the Thomas would be the odd man out.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

13 Feb 2019 17:03

Escarabajo wrote:That won't happen with Ecopetrol. This was more in the lines of Coldeportes. But I am not sure if they have the money. It would be a really reduced budget team.

No wonder why Froome was doing campaign since November of last year. LOL. If something happens they keep him and the Thomas would be the odd man out.

lol? if you are trying to get a sponsor, you send the best rider, the public knows him. that´s how the circus work.

Comcast warrants 70% of the current budget for 2020-21 so in Coldeportes needs to splash 30% for 2 years it´s good.
Comcast has Colombian tv interests too
pastronef

13 Feb 2019 17:38

this from a comment on cyclingnews FB page (under the Sky-Colombia piece)

From what I hear, it is a certain London-based Colombian billionaire who is putting up the money, through one of his Colombian businesses, and that Team Sky's reception in Colombia would be a deciding factor ahead of an announcement closer to the Giro .. and also that Brailsford has had him lined up all along and that those hoping for the team's budget to be clipped are going to be in for a big disappointment.
pastronef

13 Feb 2019 18:13

samhocking wrote:Explain's Froome being there too, why Bernal was given a 5 year contract on Year 0 & Sosa's desperate move too. Colombia was perhaps set to arrive in Tour Racing Ltd for 2021 anyway when Sky were supposed to be ending natural 10 year sponsorship in 2020. It's just been pushed forward a season maybe?

but he announced on November 7 that he would be at the Tour of Colombia, a few days after he came back from the Rigoberto Grand Fondo.
CTQ

Re: Re:

13 Feb 2019 21:44

pastronef wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:That won't happen with Ecopetrol. This was more in the lines of Coldeportes. But I am not sure if they have the money. It would be a really reduced budget team.

lol? if you are trying to get a sponsor, you send the best rider, the public knows him. that´s how the circus work.

Comcast warrants 70% of the current budget for 2020-21 so in Coldeportes needs to splash 30% for 2 years it´s good.
Comcast has Colombian tv interests too

If I remember right, Comcast said that only rider contracts would be covered for 2020 and nothing beyond that by them. It's also possible that IF there is new sponsorship they can then void even paying contracts for next season.
User avatar Koronin

13 Feb 2019 23:33

pastronef wrote:this from a comment on cyclingnews FB page (under the Sky-Colombia piece)

From what I hear, it is a certain London-based Colombian billionaire who is putting up the money, through one of his Colombian businesses, and that Team Sky's reception in Colombia would be a deciding factor ahead of an announcement closer to the Giro .. and also that Brailsford has had him lined up all along and that those hoping for the team's budget to be clipped are going to be in for a big disappointment.

The Duke of Wellingtons son in law?
MatParker117

14 Feb 2019 01:46

MatParker117 wrote:
pastronef wrote:this from a comment on cyclingnews FB page (under the Sky-Colombia piece)

The Duke of Wellingtons son in law?

no idea who is the son in law but i've found one colombian bilionnaire who lives in London: Jaime Gilinski Bacal (born 14 December 1957) is a Colombian banker and real estate developer. Gilinski resides in London. According to Forbes, he is the second richest person in Colombia, with a net worth of US$3.9 billion as of May 2018.[1]
CTQ

Re:

14 Feb 2019 11:21

About that:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ecopetrol-linked-with-taking-over-team-sky-sponsorship/
MatParker117

14 Feb 2019 11:21

The Duke of Wellingtons son in law? is ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3507674/Duke-Wellington-s-daughter-wed-billionaire-fiance-historic-16th-century-church-rural-Spain-200-glamorous-guests.html
Alejandro Santo Domingo ...
Alejandro, son of the late billionaire businessman Julio Mario Santo Domingo whose net worth according to Forbes is around $4.9 billion (£3.47 billion), announced his engagement to Lady Charlotte with a notice in The Telegraph last year.(2015)

Hans wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandro_Santo_Domingo

Father's wikipage at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Mario_Santo_Domingo - old money including a TV station. The son now runs the family business.

No visible interest in pro-cycling, but ... who knows!

User avatar Robert5091

14 Feb 2019 11:37

If this actually happens I wonder what the reception of british fans will be. Like will they still root for the team when it's focused around Colombians because if not I'd find it very funny if the british cycling hype was killed by the monster they've built themselves
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

14 Feb 2019 12:16

CTQ wrote:
samhocking wrote:Explain's Froome being there too, why Bernal was given a 5 year contract on Year 0 & Sosa's desperate move too. Colombia was perhaps set to arrive in Tour Racing Ltd for 2021 anyway when Sky were supposed to be ending natural 10 year sponsorship in 2020. It's just been pushed forward a season maybe?

but he announced on November 7 that he would be at the Tour of Colombia, a few days after he came back from the Rigoberto Grand Fondo.

Friebos mentioned it in TCP last year, Brailsford had told him off the record of taking the team to Colombia when sky sponsorship was due to end anyway in 2020 after the 10 year deal.
samhocking

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing