Register

Baby Giro 2019 - Giro d’Italia Giovani Under 23 (13-23.6.)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2019 07:19

SafeBet wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Still a better Mortirolo stage than what the big boy Giro got.

Dno if I would prefer that one. Seems very gimmicky..

Would like to see that Maniva climb in the Giro. Or just any other MTF not in the Alps apart from Montervergine, Etna, Abetone and the usual weak stuff

What about Blockhaus?

I was just being a bit of a dramaqueen I guess. Dont know how much they have used the climb beforehand, but they have used Blockhaus/Lanciano 3 times since 2006 which is okay I guess. This Giro just underlined that they really ned to do a better job using those climbs instead of playing a waiting game through 12 stages.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

05 Jun 2019 07:28

gregrowlerson wrote:Bit of a side topic, but has anyone on this forum ever called their baby "Giro"?

Or for that matter, "Fedaia"? :D

Libertine probably has done the latter....
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

05 Jun 2019 08:53

Valv.Piti wrote:
gregrowlerson wrote:Bit of a side topic, but has anyone on this forum ever called their baby "Giro"?

Or for that matter, "Fedaia"? :D

Libertine probably has done the latter....

Miss Fedaia FEDAIAAAA!!!!! Seguros?
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

05 Jun 2019 12:55

where can one find a stream ?

thanks in advance
User avatar Lexman

05 Jun 2019 16:06

User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

06 Jun 2019 02:41

Strade Bianche, double Mortirolo and a crazy-short Fedaia stage is awesome!
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

06 Jun 2019 05:06

It's surprising the Fedaia ia already doable considering that the road through the canyon was totally removed last fall, usually in Italy they need ages to repair damaged roads even when the damage is very little compared to this.
Nirvana

Re:

07 Jun 2019 05:25

Nirvana wrote:It's surprising the Fedaia ia already doable considering that the road through the canyon was totally removed last fall, usually in Italy they need ages to repair damaged roads even when the damage is very little compared to this.

They are gonna use the modern road, not the one in the canyon, which is not ready yet.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

11 Jun 2019 16:08

It seems like Van Wilder (3rd in Orlen, 4th in Course de la Paix, 7th in Isard) will not be riding the Baby Giro. His next big goal is Aosta. It's understandable, since he's only a first year U23, but since he has really stepped up and giving the older guys a run for their money, i think he's important enough to mention.

12 Jun 2019 09:27

Organisers implemented a rule that forbids riders who have participated in World Tour Events before, to start. This affects especially Axeon, whose riders that participated in California are therefore not able to race Baby Giro.

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/giro-ditalia-u23-sluit-renners-met-worldtour-ervaring-uit/
WKA311

Re:

12 Jun 2019 10:07

WKA311 wrote:Organisers implemented a rule that forbids riders who have participated in World Tour Events before, to start. This affects especially Axeon, whose riders that participated in California are therefore not able to race Baby Giro.

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/giro-ditalia-u23-sluit-renners-met-worldtour-ervaring-uit/

Pretty brutal considering how weak the cali race was.
Scarponi

13 Jun 2019 08:04

where to find a startlist?
F_Cance

Re:

13 Jun 2019 08:28

F_Cance wrote:where to find a startlist?

provisional - link will be updated...
http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=Mjk0NTg=
Tim Booth

13 Jun 2019 09:40

thx. Looks like we have to wait for todays results to get a full list.
F_Cance

13 Jun 2019 10:40

I'm going with Bagioli for the win. Showed great form already this year and should be one of, if not the, strongest climber in the race. As a Italian he is probably peaking for this. Thymen Arensman and Mark Donovan are both running a bit behind schedule concerning results this year but the route should really suite them, so if they've got the form they will feature. Another strong Italian who is in really good shape is Samuele Battistella. He is a excellent one day racer but lacks results in the big U23 stage races, so it will depend on him to be consistent because on his day he can be brilliant. Apart from those two Italians there are of course a lot of other strong Italian riders who could do well in GC or win stages. Alessandro Covi, Giovanni Aleotti or Alessandro Monaco.
Other notable riders, aiming for a high GC or stages, we can expect are probably one or two of the colombians, though at this point they are wildcards I think. Hard to tell how good they are and if they will ride for one guy or will be all over the place in the mountains like last year. Lizarte has Inigo Elosegui who is apparently turning pro with Movistar next year and Parra. GB U23 will probably go for stages with Ethan Hayter, Matthew Walls and Fred Wright, I just can't see Hayter being competitive enough in the high mountains to ride for GC. One of the strongest squads will be FDJ. Theo Nonnez really had kind of a breakthrough this year and could well be infiltrating the Top 5 with help from Kevin Inkelaar, who himself is probably aiming for GC. Other than those two, Jake Stewart and Cristian Scaroni will be hunting for stages. Hagens Berman Axeon, without their California squad due to the WT ban, are hard to predict. Sean Quinn and Kevin Vermaerke have been absolutely impressive 1st years so far and it will be interesting to see them climbing real mountains. The same for Karel Vacek, only that he has had a bit more difficulties to adjust to the new level of racing so far. But we know his talent and can hope for him to show us some glimpse of it in this race. Andre Carvalho is in pretty good shape and will probably hunt stages. Lotto U23 will have some cards to play, though I'm not sure Viktor Verschaeve is consistent enough to feature high up in GC. Thomas Vereecken and Julian Mertens will provide good support with ambitions for stages themselves. SEG will not only rely on Arensmans GC hope but will also have the best sprinter of the race in Kaden Groves, who is able to survive some hills, and a second GC hopeful in Ide Schelling. Team Tirol will want to challenge mainly for stages. With Nicolas Dalla Valle they have one of the few guys who could potentially take on Groves in the sprints, Markus Wildauer won a stage and wore the Pink last year. But their best shot should be Georg Zimmermann. Look out for him in the hilly stages. High up GC should be a bit too much for him though, maybe a Top 10.

With no complete startlist its hard to analyse all the teams and there probably will also be guys who we don't really know a lot about. Some Italians from the tiny teams stepping up, some Russian who as a team almost always deliver here, the Kazakhs are hard to predict and as I already said the Colombians. This was just a little try to highlight most of the important players and there a lot of guys I may have missed while writing this or who I have absolutely no idea of. So feel free to add.
WKA311

Re:

13 Jun 2019 11:28

F_Cance wrote:thx. Looks like we have to wait for todays results to get a full list.

cyclingfever link is now updated and is the final start list
Tim Booth

13 Jun 2019 17:39

Hayter wins in front of Groves. No surprises. Zijlaard 3rd.
WKA311

13 Jun 2019 19:29

No Van Wilder, Leknessund, Champoussin...
But Vacek, Bagioli, Arensman, Vermaerke... are there. Don't know all of those Italian riders though :-/

Let's go :-)

13 Jun 2019 20:17

Found an Italian named Luca Coati in the results of today's prologue

:)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

13 Jun 2019 20:22

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:No Van Wilder, Leknessund, Champoussin...
But Vacek, Bagioli, Arensman, Vermaerke... are there. Don't know all of those Italian riders though :-/

Let's go :-)

I'd say that Bagioli, Covi, Battistella, Aleotti and Monaco are probably the main guys when it comes to Italian riders who could do well on the gc. Matteo Sobrero is also a really strong rider, but probably just for stage wins, he reminds me a bit of Velasco.
Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing