Register

What's your favourite Giro climb?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What's your favourite Giro climb?

Monte Zoncolan
12%
Colle Delle Finestre
11%
Colle Della Fauniera
9%
Tre Cime Di Lavaredo
9%
Plan De Corones
9%
Passo Fedaia
10%
Passo Dello Stelvio
10%
Passo Del Mortirolo
10%
Passo Di Gavia
9%
Colle Dell' Agnello
9%

Total votes : 1058

28 May 2011 12:32

Lovely idea for a thread. It's nice to look down the list and think of all the reasons which make each one unique and the different role they've all played in races. You could write reams about why any one of those climbs is the best.

I opted for the Fauniera/Esischie. It doesn't really have the legendary status of the others (yet...) but to me that kind of adds to its mystique. It annihilated the race from distance in 1999 and was also key to the difficulty of the 2003 queen stage. A bit like with other climbs, the rarity of it helps to make it more special.

It's not the highest, nor the prettiest (although it is high and it is pretty), but I like the fact that even surrounded by the Agnello, Sampeyre and Lombarda it still stands out as a stupidly hard climb. It speaks for the extraordinary spread of great climbs in Italy that they don't run through that area every year, in fact very rarely at all.
User avatar Skip Madness

28 May 2011 12:37

Skip Madness wrote:Lovely idea for a thread. It's nice to look down the list and think of all the reasons which make each one unique and the different role they've all played in races. You could write reams about why any one of those climbs is the best.

It's been really hard to choose the 10 climbs to put in :o
And I had to leave monsters like Sampeyre, San Pellegrino In Alpe, Blockhaus, Rombo, Pennes, Passo Monte Giovo, San Marco... :(
Skip Madness wrote: It speaks for the extraordinary spread of great climbs in Italy that they don't run through that area every year, in fact very rarely at all.

This is sadly true :(
The Esischie/Sampeyre double is awesome
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 May 2011 12:38

The crowds on the startline are every day amazing.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

28 May 2011 12:44

Putting a face to these climbs (while I am waiting for the race to hit Finestre-the hardest climb ever in a GT)

Monte Zoncolon:

Colle Delle Finestre:

Tre Cime Di Lavaredo:

part 1
[SIZE="1"]Where ever you find yourself, there you are[/SIZE]
User avatar benpounder

28 May 2011 12:47

cont.

Plan De Corones:

Passo Fedaia:

Passo Del Mortirolo:

User avatar benpounder

28 May 2011 12:49

Mortirolo - beautiful to ride but a beast anyway.

From outside, they are all epic and beautiful. But I loved the shadow, or all the trees along the Mortirolo.
User avatar Cobblestoned

28 May 2011 12:51

I voted Tre Cime di Lavaredo.

To be honest, the 2005 Finestre is the best climb I have ever seen, but that day was a perfect storm, everything worked to it's advantage that day (a great battle for pink, the stage, drama (Ardila/Van Huffel), but that was just once, too early to really give it the number one spot. Zoncolan is incredible of course, but it's a bit too straighforward (just incredible steep for a long time), tactics play too little a role, and it's not a pretty mountain either.
Lanark

28 May 2011 12:57

part three, and if anyone has better details, please add.

Passo Di Gavia:

Passo Dello Stelvio:

Colle DelleAgnello:

User avatar benpounder

28 May 2011 13:01

The Passo Di Gavia you posted is the less hard side... this the classic one (harder)
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 May 2011 13:02

benpounder wrote:Colle DelleAgnello:

I'm really looking forward to this + Galibier this July
User avatar Magnus

One last image, one that shows why this is the greatest stage race around, from tappa 7 last year, found on Steephill.tv:

User avatar benpounder

I'll put also Stelvio, Fauniera and Agnello
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 May 2011 13:07

Kronplatz is the most fun.

It would be legendary if the ever had a road stage finish up there.
Moondance
Veteran

28 May 2011 13:09

Moondance wrote:Kronplatz is the most fun.

It would be legendary if the ever had a road stage finish up there.

Yeah, it's a shame that in 2006 they had to cancelled it due to snow :(
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

28 May 2011 13:11

I'll note that I voted for Manghen as my favorite. It is hard, but I don't think it is the hardest. They are finally approaching the foot of Finestre...:):):)
User avatar benpounder

28 May 2011 13:53

Thing is, the poll's not 'hardest' but 'favourite'. Fedaia isn't the hardest, but it's plenty hard enough, and it's my favourite.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

28 May 2011 16:55

auscyclefan94 wrote:Plan de Corones...the steep gravel pitches are something to behold. That last km is horrible.

Plan de Corones for me too. It's unique.

IlCobraFan

23 Jun 2014 18:37

I refresh the thread after a few years of break ;) Giro has so many epic climbs that it can be hard to decide but I have my favourites:

1. Stelvio

King of climbs in Europe. Icon for cyclists and motorcyclists. It has all: sky-high altitude, enormous elevation gain, unrelenting steepness, phenomenal road, stunning scenery and historically legendary status. When someone says 'classic mountain road' then many think 'Stelvio'. Giro organizers 'discovered' a few monster climbs (like Zoncolan and Finestre) in order to surpass Tour mountain stages. But Stelvio from Prato with its 48 hairpins easily eclipses all of TdF climbs. Organisers should use it from this side more often. Maybe some MTF or ITT with 1850 meters of climbing? :D Unfortunately my only Stelvio (from Prato) memory is from 2005 when my favourite rider Ivan Basso lost there almost half an hour...

2. Finestre

During the Tour de France commentators often describe 9-10% gradients as 'very hard sections'. How about 18.5 kilometers of such a 'section'? And nearly half of it is unpaved. This climb is a freak. It instantly became a classic in 2005 when Simoni, Di Luca and Rujano tried to crush Savoldelli. Some TV images of unpaved section were shown without colors and it resembled legendary Coppi - Bartali battles. It has potential to become the biggest cycling icon - especially if some day TdF decides to use it...

3. Gavia

Giro legend - beast and beauty. It's place in top3 is for similar reasons as Stelvio. Tough ascent, high mountains, narrow road, snow tunnels and historical moments. When I saw on TV Gavia stage for the first time the weather was good and I was stunned by its beauty.

There are obviously many other super-climbs. Very hard and beautiful climbs of Fedaia or Tre Cime di Lavaredo. But I'm actually not a big fan of that leg-breaking gradients of Zoncolan. Somehow I don't "feel" this mountain (at least so far) despite it's already becoming a legend.

And Stelvio...in July:

Krzysztof_O

23 Jun 2014 18:54

1. Fauniera - surprise!
2. Mortirolo - great memories, great tifosi, great climb, almost impossible to place badly in a stage.
3. Finestre
4. Fedaia

Sampeyre missing in the list. And Crostis could beat them all if raced.
User avatar fauniera

23 Jun 2014 18:58

Not a surprise given your nickname ;) I also wanted to mention Fauniera with its narrow, beautiful mountain road but I simply didn't watch any race on it (and that was a condition). And Fauniera is a pass I want to see in the Giro most.
Krzysztof_O

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing