Register

Steven Kruijswijk

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Steven Kruijswijk

26 Mar 2017 11:03

As good as Quintana is, I think he is a bit overestimated. He isn't completely peaking for the Giro he is doing a double attempt. Said differently, I don't expect him to be much stronger than in the tdf last year. And in that tdf he was beaten by Bardet, would've been beaten by Porte if he hadn't had bad luck in the first week and only finished 20 seconds in front of yates. No bad riders, but also not much stronger than Nibali, Aru, Pinot and Kruijswijk. And who knows, maybe Landa will get his 2015 shape again.

Kruijswijk isn't the top favorite but if he has last years shape he has a good chance to win.
User avatar Gigs_98

26 Mar 2017 11:09

I think (a 2016) Kruijswijk is the biggest thread for Quintana. I can't ignore all the red lights on Nibali aint no more, Landa is the inconsistency himself, Aru hasn't shown anything since 2015, Pinot? Ain't have the top level and very inconsistent himself in GTs.

However, I do not agree on trying to dissect and analyze Quintana on his Tour de France 2016. Its like doing that to Contador in 2013, it doesn't do them justice. They were just plain bad, it happens, move on.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

26 Mar 2017 11:34

Valv.Piti wrote:I think (a 2016) Kruijswijk is the biggest thread for Quintana. I can't ignore all the red lights on Nibali aint no more, Landa is the inconsistency himself, Aru hasn't shown anything since 2015, Pinot? Ain't have the top level and very inconsistent himself in GTs.

However, I do not agree on trying to dissect and analyze Quintana on his Tour de France 2016. Its like doing that to Contador in 2013, it doesn't do them justice. They were just plain bad, it happens, move on.

You can't compare 2013 Contador with 2016 Quintana. Yeah, both were very bad in the tour, but Contador was bad for the whole year while Quintana had already won Catalunya and Romandie before the tdf and went on to win the Vuelta after the tour. The funny thing last year was that it seemed as if the bad tdf was a perfect preparation for the Vuelta and thats why I think his level in that tour will be comparable to his level in this years giro since his biggest goal for the season is still the tdf. Still I'm expecting him to be at least a bit better.

About Nibali, I agree that he seems to be declining but I wouldn't count him out. I've estimated him wrongly so often that I won't make that mistake again. And about Aru, you are writing this "hasn't shown anything since 2015" like 2015 was ages ago. He only had one bad season. He still won the penultimate gt he rode. And even last year he was only 1.5 minutes behind the tdf podium before the Morzine stage where he completely cracked.
User avatar Gigs_98

26 Mar 2017 11:51

You can compare them because they were below par in Tour de France compared to their real level for whatever reasons (altho it for 2013 obviously was his real level, but the point being it wasn't 'normal'). I am well aware of the differences between them.

You are free to believe what you do. I simply don't believe in the Italians considering what they are going up against.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

27 Mar 2017 01:32

Valv.Piti wrote:I think (a 2016) Kruijswijk is the biggest thread for Quintana. I can't ignore all the red lights on Nibali aint no more, Landa is the inconsistency himself, Aru hasn't shown anything since 2015, Pinot? Ain't have the top level and very inconsistent himself in GTs.

Landa's big problem will be the TT. Will be interesting to see how much Aru can improve. Many riders can win a Vuelta without winning a Giro or Tour. I think last year's Tour opened Aru's eyes and in the final week he was suffering. But then he wasn't very good during the whole race. Yates was much better of the younger riders.
movingtarget
Veteran

27 Mar 2017 01:43

Gigs_98 wrote:As good as Quintana is, I think he is a bit overestimated. He isn't completely peaking for the Giro he is doing a double attempt. Said differently, I don't expect him to be much stronger than in the tdf last year. And in that tdf he was beaten by Bardet, would've been beaten by Porte if he hadn't had bad luck in the first week and only finished 20 seconds in front of yates. No bad riders, but also not much stronger than Nibali, Aru, Pinot and Kruijswijk. And who knows, maybe Landa will get his 2015 shape again.

Kruijswijk isn't the top favorite but if he has last years shape he has a good chance to win.

Well Quintana will have to be peaking for the Giro otherwise the double won't even be a single. Usually they would peak for the first one and do little between the races hoping to conserve as much as possible for the Tour. In 2011 Contador won a hard Giro but he probably should have backed off more in the third week as he had such a big lead but then he got involved in crashes in the Tour and supposedly hurt his knee as well while Evans just had a dream year plus avoiding accidents and bad luck. Contador admitted that the Giro still fatigued him going into the Tour. Quintana should just concentrate on one race and leave the other for Valverde although if you take out Contador's attack in the Vuelta, Froome would have gone close to a double and many people thought he had more in reserve in the Tour. I think his Vuelta ride supports that.

I think if Steven Kruijswijk can repeat last year's form then the long TT brings him right into the race because he climbed very well last year even though it was against a Nibali not at his best and Chaves who is still learning about how to ride GTs. I will be very interested to see how Chaves can go in the Tour after his good rides in the Giro and Vuelta. The lack of TT kms can only help him.
movingtarget
Veteran

27 Mar 2017 02:40

movingtarget wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:As good as Quintana is, I think he is a bit overestimated. He isn't completely peaking for the Giro he is doing a double attempt. Said differently, I don't expect him to be much stronger than in the tdf last year. And in that tdf he was beaten by Bardet, would've been beaten by Porte if he hadn't had bad luck in the first week and only finished 20 seconds in front of yates. No bad riders, but also not much stronger than Nibali, Aru, Pinot and Kruijswijk. And who knows, maybe Landa will get his 2015 shape again.

Well Quintana will have to be peaking for the Giro otherwise the double won't even be a single. Usually they would peak for the first one and do little between the races hoping to conserve as much as possible for the Tour. In 2011 Contador won a hard Giro but he probably should have backed off more in the third week as he had such a big lead but then he got involved in crashes in the Tour and supposedly hurt his knee as well while Evans just had a dream year plus avoiding accidents and bad luck. Contador admitted that the Giro still fatigued him going into the Tour. Quintana should just concentrate on one race and leave the other for Valverde although if you take out Contador's attack in the Vuelta, Froome would have gone close to a double and many people thought he had more in reserve in the Tour. I think his Vuelta ride supports that.

I think if Steven Kruijswijk can repeat last year's form then the long TT brings him right into the race because he climbed very well last year even though it was against a Nibali not at his best and Chaves who is still learning about how to ride GTs. I will be very interested to see how Chaves can go in the Tour after his good rides in the Giro and Vuelta. The lack of TT kms can only help him.

folks forget that Quintana was SICK in the Tour and yet he finished 3rd. then he won La Vuelta against Contador & Froome :cool:

on topic: IF Kruijswijk gets back to last year's form, gets the proper support & positions in the top 5 by the ned of the 2nd week- he can get good chance to battle for the title. The bad news is that, because of last year's performance, he'll be marked. The other challenge is the competition: there is Quintana-no need to say anything at all - then there is Nibali, Aru and Landa: all three hugely motivated, hungry to prove themselves & for their teams as leaders, after a horrible start of the season. "G"? he may bother a bit but I foresee him fading in the last week.
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

27 Mar 2017 12:38

hfer07 wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

folks forget that Quintana was SICK in the Tour and yet he finished 3rd. then he won La Vuelta against Contador & Froome :cool:

on topic: IF Kruijswijk gets back to last year's form, gets the proper support & positions in the top 5 by the ned of the 2nd week- he can get good chance to battle for the title. The bad news is that, because of last year's performance, he'll be marked. The other challenge is the competition: there is Quintana-no need to say anything at all - then there is Nibali, Aru and Landa: all three hugely motivated, hungry to prove themselves & for their teams as leaders, after a horrible start of the season. "G"? he may bother a bit but I foresee him fading in the last week.

I don't think Contador was 100 % in the Vuelta and then take into consideration the puncture for Porte in the Tour and Quintana's rides were not that special. I don't think he would be riding the Giro if he was confident of beating Froome. As for Stephen K in the mountains being marked won't matter that much as the cream rises to the top anyway and in the TT marking will be a non issue. He is more of a diesel climber anyway, not the type to keep attacking like a pure climber, it's more about getting on the front and setting a hard pace for him and for the bulk of the Giro he was the best climber until his fall. If Nibali goes into the Giro in last year's form he won't make the podium. He never looked like out climbing Kruisjswijk until after the fall.
movingtarget
Veteran

05 May 2017 20:39

Unfortunately he lost 13 second today because of the pile up just before the 3km to go marker. Shame to lose any time like this to other GC rivals.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

05 May 2017 20:51

Stevie will have a wonder next week
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

05 May 2017 20:57

Kruijswijk was behind the pile up. Came back with Van Emden, but then they were at the back end of the peloton. Logically they couldn't move up in time to prevent the 2nd split in the end.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

06 May 2017 00:08

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Kruijswijk was behind the pile up. Came back with Van Emden, but then they were at the back end of the peloton. Logically they couldn't move up in time to prevent the 2nd split in the end.

Problem for Kruijswijk is not the loss of 13 seconds but that he is hurt from his crash in Yorkshire
HelloDolly

Re: Re:

06 May 2017 07:35

HelloDolly wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Kruijswijk was behind the pile up. Came back with Van Emden, but then they were at the back end of the peloton. Logically they couldn't move up in time to prevent the 2nd split in the end.

Problem for Kruijswijk is not the loss of 13 seconds but that he is hurt from his crash in Yorkshire

Is he? I havent read anything saying he's still hurting.

Problem for Steven right now is that he's a bit scared of these bunchsprint run ins as he admitted after the stage.

If I recall correctly the team kept him at the front of the race last year also in the first week when we all didnt know he was in absolute topshape yet. I didnt see much yesterday, but what I've seen and read was that lottonl never kept Kruissie at the front row like they did last year. Tbh it's a lot harder this year with this wide top field. More teams want to be at the front.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re: Re:

06 May 2017 10:49

Kwibus wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:

Is he? I havent read anything saying he's still hurting.

Problem for Steven right now is that he's a bit scared of these bunchsprint run ins as he admitted after the stage.

If I recall correctly the team kept him at the front of the race last year also in the first week when we all didnt know he was in absolute topshape yet. I didnt see much yesterday, but what I've seen and read was that lottonl never kept Kruissie at the front row like they did last year. Tbh it's a lot harder this year with this wide top field. More teams want to be at the front.

Sounds like he is fine just some bruising to the ribs. According to him it is not hampering him.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 May 2017 19:57

Kruijswijk said today he's glad he didn't lose time but also said he doesn't feel physically super. Especially because of the 2 crashes his had. Not that he is hurt, but it just took some energy and as I feared it means he will not reach the same form as last year. So tbh I think he's going to lose a significant amount of time on Blockhaus and not do much more this Giro then maybe top 10.
Veteran

11 May 2017 20:02

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Kruijswijk said today he's glad he didn't lose time but also said he doesn't feel physically super. Especially because of the 2 crashes his had. Not that he is hurt, but it just took some energy and as I feared it means he will not reach the same form as last year. So tbh I think he's going to lose a significant amount of time on Blockhaus and not do much more this Giro then maybe top 10.

If Kruijswijk isn't physically hurt he will recover. You are right he needs to stay in touch on Blockhaus if he can he will still be in contention as his condition should improve as the days pass. Hopefully his head is right the team may need to work on that.
Cookster15

11 May 2017 20:05

Overreacting. He seemed very optimistic in the latest interview I read
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 May 2017 20:22

Anyone (bar me) thinks SK hasn't a chance of winning il giro?
portugal11

11 May 2017 20:31

No, everybody thinks that since quintana is entering. Without Quintana and without his falls in yorkshire and early this Giro, he would have had a good shot
Veteran

Re:

11 May 2017 22:48

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:No, everybody thinks that since quintana is entering. Without Quintana and without his falls in yorkshire and early this Giro, he would have had a good shot

As usual Quintana is talking his chances down. He must have been watching old Contador interviews ! The next MTF will tell all as someone will have to take the initiative. Quintana usually improves in the third week but I think the TTs could have more impact than many are expecting so I think SK if he is on form could still be dangerous. Really the race has been too uneventful on GC so far to indicate an advantage to anyone but I think that will change on the next MTF. First TT as well.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing