Register

Carlton kirby - has to go !!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

08 Jul 2014 18:31

One problem for the commentators is that they are commentating on one or two TV feeds in French (during TdF) along with race radio and mandatory fed commentary (Such as "this castle used to be where Napoleon used top live"). They also have producers yelling in their ears.
avanti

09 Jul 2014 06:31

Frankly, I think Kirby is great. Remember, these commentators can't just play to only the very knowledgeable cycling fans. And cmon you might only be watching the 1 hour recap, but these guys need to talk for 5 hours straight. Getting rudimentary is the only option.

Now the Greg Lemond segment is the worse commentating I have ever heard. Lemond just stinks and the guy he partners with isn't much better. Lemond should stick with selling bikes, it is painful to listen to him.
offbyone

09 Jul 2014 06:54

For all the Carlton fans out there, here's an interview he did with a motoring website in 2009.

http://2or4.co.uk/2009/01/12/qa-carlton-kirby-on-commentating-motorsport-and-tuvalu/

A few highlights:

I was described as a Marmite Commentator once… and that’s about right.

So he even acknowledges himself people will love or hate him.

You can bore for England if you give a lecture on what you know all the time as some do. It’s what is on the screen that matters. Action, and helping people to enjoy it.

I did have my own radio show on the tropical atoll of Funafuti... Goooooood Mooooorning Tuuuuuvaaaaaloooo was my opening gambit. All the link jingles I nicked from BBC Radio Norfolk…
argyllflyer

09 Jul 2014 14:06

After Froome crashed out of the race - they're like in funeral.
Samson

09 Jul 2014 15:26

Samson wrote:After Froome crashed out of the race - they're like in funeral.

Out of interest, how many countries take the English-language feed?
argyllflyer

09 Jul 2014 15:49

Kirby is the cycling equivalent of Hawk Harrelson. Total homer, period!
Proud member of the 'don't believe the PR from Slipstream Sports' Club.
User avatar BYOP88

09 Jul 2014 19:11

argyllflyer wrote:Out of interest, how many countries take the English-language feed?

In Estonia our own tv channel ETV shows TDF with estonian commentary which I don't like to listen that much even tho Jaan Kirsipuu is one of co-commentator and he's ok (knows stuff about Astana as he's their sporting director). But the main commentator just doesn't know much about cycling. So I usually watch it from Eurosport international with english commentary. There's also russian one in our region but I don't understand it.
Samson

09 Jul 2014 19:24

I don't think ES takes the internet chatter about commentators seriously because people say the same things about all of them. its all negative feedback all the time how are they supposed to work with that?

Dave Harmon was more than fine but internet trolls need maymays to keep themselves entertained during races.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

09 Jul 2014 19:29

Samson wrote:In Estonia our own tv channel ETV shows TDF with estonian commentary which I don't like to listen that much even tho Jaan Kirsipuu is one of co-commentator and he's ok (knows stuff about Astana as he's their sporting director). But the main commentator just doesn't know much about cycling. So I usually watch it from Eurosport international with english commentary. There's also russian one in our region but I don't understand it.

Ok thanks, so Eurosport International is available in Estonia. Australia too I believe (or do they get Eurosport Asia?). Any others? I think there are French, Portuguese, Dutch and German versions with their own commentators?
argyllflyer

Classic Kirby

12 Jul 2014 10:13

Kirby had a golden moment yesterday.

Richie Porte cycles up alongside Sagan in the final manic kilometre and Kirby mimics what Sagan says to Porte..

[color="Red"]'and what are you doing here ??!! '[/color]

Just hilarious. I,m actually beginning to like the annoying old git.
User avatar Cycle Chic

12 Jul 2014 11:12

argyllflyer wrote:Ok thanks, so Eurosport International is available in Estonia. Australia too I believe (or do they get Eurosport Asia?). Any others? I think there are French, Portuguese, Dutch and German versions with their own commentators?

We have English ES and in Southeast Asia. Local cycling commentator/reporter doesn't exist anyway in Indonesia.
User avatar gunara

Bardet comment

22 Jul 2014 12:47

Carlton Kirby just commented on Romain Bardet's all white kit - he thought he was wearing a ONESIE.

Too funny - Carlton Kirby has to Stay - he IS funny !!
User avatar Cycle Chic

Re: Carlton kirby - has to go !!

08 Apr 2015 22:06

I like Kirby. I am a big fan in fact. We can all see the tv pictures and the info provided by the tv companies, which,I think, is all Eurosport have. If you don't like him turn the volume down, but he makes me laugh. i am also a football fan and the standard of commentary, especially on itv, is appalling. Dont get too serious or loose your humour.
Andledore
Newly Registered Member

08 Apr 2015 22:45

"If you don't like him turn the volume down",

um,i don't think it's acceptable to follow my favourite sport with no volume or commentary due to eurosport thinking he is acceptable as a cycling commentator..
distanced

08 Apr 2015 23:11

I think having one person knowledgeable, and one person a bit of a cheerleader is a good combo.
I like Matt Keenan on SBS Australia, but he needs a partner for added excitement.
observer

Re:

10 Apr 2015 23:58

observer wrote:I think having one person knowledgeable, and one person a bit of a cheerleader is a good combo.
I like Matt Keenan on SBS Australia, but he needs a partner for added excitement.

Keenan is really good.
User avatar Poursuivant

11 Apr 2015 01:23

If you don't like Carlton Kirby, then don't subscribe to Eurosport.... simple really.
User avatar Dog

11 Apr 2015 02:20

Kirby is great with the filler material but he neglects putting in the time to be knowledgeable about the riders. He relies too much on a startlist sheet for identifying who is who. He is poor at remembering who is where in the race. Often we'll see a shot of a rider off the back of the peloton and Kirby: "This rider has attacked and is off th-- oh he's HAD A PUNCTURE and is off the back!"
User avatar TourOfTexas

Re:

11 Apr 2015 06:20

Dog wrote:If you don't like Carlton Kirby, then don't subscribe to Eurosport.... simple really.

If you dont subscribe to Eurosport you have no cycling races to watch at all apart from Highlights of the Vuelta and Tour Series. Then live for the Tour and Tour of Britain. These are on ITV4 who have one or both of Phil and Paul.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

13 Apr 2015 02:26

Kirby is the best commentaor in the market, today. You guys know nothing about TV and ratings.
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing