Log in:  

Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

10 Feb 2018 07:58

Robert5091 wrote:"Collective doldrums"? He's my "Mute-button-tester" :)


Hey, hey! Shush now.
I watched portions of the last couple stages on a youtube feed that for some unknown reason was without commentary.
All you could hear was the hum of the motorbikes and the occasional sounds from those in the peloton. It was actually kind of interesting for a few minutes, but it didn't take long for me to long for my man Carlton Kirby.
I dearly wished I could hear his commentary in the closing km's when the Rally rider came so close to winning solo.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of stool.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,218
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2018 08:26

the delgados wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:"Collective doldrums"? He's my "Mute-button-tester" :)


Hey, hey! Shush now.
I watched portions of the last couple stages on a youtube feed that for some unknown reason was without commentary.
All you could hear was the hum of the motorbikes and the occasional sounds from those in the peloton. It was actually kind of interesting for a few minutes, but it didn't take long for me to long for my man Carlton Kirby.
I dearly wished I could hear his commentary in the closing km's when the Rally rider came so close to winning solo.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of stool.


Your wish is my command!

https://youtu.be/Iz28sLaLAtc?t=33m32s
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,451
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2018 14:25

argyllflyer wrote:
the delgados wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:"Collective doldrums"? He's my "Mute-button-tester" :)


Hey, hey! Shush now.
I watched portions of the last couple stages on a youtube feed that for some unknown reason was without commentary.
All you could hear was the hum of the motorbikes and the occasional sounds from those in the peloton. It was actually kind of interesting for a few minutes, but it didn't take long for me to long for my man Carlton Kirby.
I dearly wished I could hear his commentary in the closing km's when the Rally rider came so close to winning solo.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of stool.


Your wish is my command!

https://youtu.be/Iz28sLaLAtc?t=33m32s


"Cars badly parked, fans taking photos instead of watching the action."
"Oh! He's still not home. He's finally found a home--in our hearts."

Carlton Kirby reminds of the late great Mark E Smith of The Fall. He's a genius.
Thanks for posting this clip. It is a fantastic reminder of the brilliance of Carlton Kirby.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,218
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

13 Feb 2018 12:23

Kirby doing speed skating...
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,989
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

Re:

13 Feb 2018 16:40

Ferminal wrote:Kirby doing speed skating...


Rob Hatch too on BBC I believe.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,451
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

14 Feb 2018 17:54

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 21 Feb 2018 20:21, edited 3 times in total.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,451
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

14 Feb 2018 18:12

He called the Modolo sprint brilliantly today :)
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,308
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

Re:

14 Feb 2018 19:31

armchairclimber wrote:He called the Modolo sprint brilliantly today :)


Sigh. Another armchair critic trying to be funny.
To be fair, the camera focused on Modolo who raised his arms in the universal sign of a bike rider winning a race.
No one--not even the camera--saw the guy in a dark uniform darting up the side to take the win.
In fact, it took quite some time to determine who won the race. My man Carlton Kirby reserved judgement after watching the replay. He was not the only one who thought the EF Drapac Powered by Cannondale guy (we're venturing into Nascar territory here) won the race. But yeah, let's take another crack at my man Carlton Kirby!
Let's ignore the brilliance that shone in the commentary preceding the finale.
P.S. It has been mentioned that the Kirbster has been calling speed skating at the Olympics. This guy is a friggin legend.
I hope he has a union and is getting overtime pay.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,218
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

15 Feb 2018 08:40

Yeah quite dreadful camera angle that as noted above was so zoomed in it failed to capture the width of the road - it continues to amaze me how often this is the case. The 'riders crossing the finishing line' is one of the most important shots of the race! I'd like to see a race experimant with live overhead and front on (from the front, not the side at an angle) shots side by side. There was a race last season, I think Tour de Yorkshire, where there were no camera bikes working and they had to do the last 10km or so from a helicopter shot. It was brilliant.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,451
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

15 Feb 2018 15:29

CK in his Sky onsie today *yawn*
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,482
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

15 Feb 2018 17:16

At the end of Andalusia they showed a split screen with Algarve in one half and they said "after the break stage two of Algarve" but after the break there was an hour of FIFA Football magazine and then started Basket.
This year is really terrible Eurosport regarding cycling coverage. And there are more breaks than ever during the coverage, not only for commercial but also for multiple top 3, top 5, top 10 of everything and olympic related clip.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 767
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

Re: Re:

16 Feb 2018 09:49

the delgados wrote:
armchairclimber wrote:He called the Modolo sprint brilliantly today :)


Sigh. Another armchair critic trying to be funny.
To be fair, the camera focused on Modolo who raised his arms in the universal sign of a bike rider winning a race.
No one--not even the camera--saw the guy in a dark uniform darting up the side to take the win.
In fact, it took quite some time to determine who won the race. My man Carlton Kirby reserved judgement after watching the replay. He was not the only one who thought the EF Drapac Powered by Cannondale guy (we're venturing into Nascar territory here) won the race. But yeah, let's take another crack at my man Carlton Kirby!
Let's ignore the brilliance that shone in the commentary preceding the finale.
P.S. It has been mentioned that the Kirbster has been calling speed skating at the Olympics. This guy is a friggin legend.
I hope he has a union and is getting overtime pay.


I was referring more to the fact that, as the sprint started, he suggested that Modolo was in a different league to his opponents and that the result was more or less a foregone conclusion.

He is funny though.
User avatar armchairclimber
Member
 
Posts: 1,308
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

17 Feb 2018 18:12

We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,042
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

17 Feb 2018 18:27

Thats a great quote right there, thank you!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 8,484
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

17 Feb 2018 18:30

When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,914
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

17 Feb 2018 18:45

Netserk wrote:When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)


I hadn't even thought of that but of course you're right.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,042
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

17 Feb 2018 22:36

tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.



He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 01:30

tobydawq wrote:
Netserk wrote:When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)


I hadn't even thought of that but of course you're right.


I'm sure you are right but it's not only that. Some of the commentary is abysmal especially when there is action happening and someone is relating a personal anecdote which has nothing to do with the race.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,657
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 02:19

HelloDolly wrote:
tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.



He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy


So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,218
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

18 Feb 2018 04:45

I had to mute the commentary of Andalucia on Saturday. When he screwed up where van Marcke and Amador were in relation to the peloton, it was "here we go yet ahead".
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,303
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnatoleNovak, Armchair cyclist, Breh, burning, Carols, Climbing, fantomas, Forever The Best, GraftPunk, jaylew, MartinGT, mojomonkey, motty89, MrTea1976, Red Rick, red_flanders, RedheadDane, rghysens, ruamruam, Singer01, spalco, Stella0596, Strawberry_Jams, UselessToo, VO2 Max, yaco, yetiyeti, Zinoviev Letter and 163 guests

Back to top