Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

16 May 2018 15:08

So Contador was right when he ruled Froome and Aru out of the Giro contention....

Brilliant
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 15:26

hfer07 wrote:So Contador was right when he ruled Froome and Aru out of the Giro contention....

Brilliant

Most people had already called it.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 15:29

movingtarget wrote:
hfer07 wrote:So Contador was right when he ruled Froome and Aru out of the Giro contention....

Brilliant

Most people had already called it.

All of which was premature until today.
User avatar Oliwright

16 May 2018 19:04

I would like to commend both Carlton and Sir Kelly for their garbled words today - Made a great stage F'in brilliant.

_O_
User avatar London Hibs

16 May 2018 19:16

If the Giro doesn't return to Sporza or atleast gets bought by VTM in the coming years I'll think about doing a pilgrimage to raise money so they can buy it back because Karsten Kroon can tell anecdotes like my grandma can dunk a basketball. (Spoilers: she can't)
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

16 May 2018 19:27

GenericBoonenFan wrote:If the Giro doesn't return to Sporza or atleast gets bought by VTM in the coming years I'll think about doing a pilgrimage to raise money so they can buy it back because Karsten Kroon can tell anecdotes like my grandma can dunk a basketball. (Spoilers: she can't)

Maybe you should better do a online petition to force Paul d'Hoore to come back to Eurosport Benelux instead!
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

16 May 2018 19:49

Brilliant

when, after Sunday's stage?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 20:13

GenericBoonenFan wrote:If the Giro doesn't return to Sporza or atleast gets bought by VTM in the coming years I'll think about doing a pilgrimage to raise money so they can buy it back because Karsten Kroon can tell anecdotes like my grandma can dunk a basketball. (Spoilers: she can't)

I'd donate as much as I could, honestly who thought it was a good idea to make him the commentator? He's telling things like nobody wanted to share a room with Lars Bak because he snores a lot. I doubt anyone is interested in hearing that.
Stella0596

16 May 2018 20:39

Stella0596 wrote:

I'd donate as much as I could, honestly who thought it was a good idea to make him the commentator? He's telling things like nobody wanted to share a room with Lars Bak because he snores a lot. I doubt anyone is interested in hearing that.

Guess that's why Adam Hansen has been rooming with him at every GT they've done together, which is - if I'm not mistaken - 14...
Hansen did, however, have a bit of an "issue" with Bak's "alien tongue" a few years ago.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 May 2018 22:41

I don't know who's commentating on the AToC but they're a joy to listen to. Together with Sporza/VTM/eurosport France and L'Equipe commentators they're tolerable.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

17 May 2018 15:02

Shocking again from Kirby- thinking Ulissi was Atapuma and Betancur for L.L. Sanchez!
therealthing

Re:

17 May 2018 15:59

therealthing wrote:Shocking again from Kirby- thinking Ulissi was Atapuma and Betancur for L.L. Sanchez!

And he keeps calling it wrong. After almost any attack, 'I think they have this one" Kelly goes quiet and says 'Well there is still a long way to go"

His drooling over Froome is incredible irritating.
User avatar ruamruam

17 May 2018 18:57

ruamruam wrote:
therealthing wrote:Shocking again from Kirby- thinking Ulissi was Atapuma and Betancur for L.L. Sanchez!

And he keeps calling it wrong. After almost any attack, 'I think they have this one" Kelly goes quiet and says 'Well there is still a long way to go"

Unfortunately I have been unable to watch a single stage narrated by my man Carlton Kirby, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume CK is "drooling' over Froome.
Please understand that it is the job of a commentator to bring in ratings by mentioning a rider from the host broadcaster nation.
If you watch a US feed you're going to hear about whatever rider from the U.S. is in the race.
Same goes for every single country.
A commentator would not be doing their job if they didn't mention a rider from said nation.
It is CK's job to light up a race, and it is Kelly's job to provide perspective.
You guys can do better than this. The constant CK bashing is almost embarrassing to read.
User avatar the delgados

17 May 2018 19:00

the delgados wrote:
ruamruam wrote:

Unfortunately I have been unable to watch a single stage narrated by my man Carlton Kirby, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume CK is "drooling' over Froome.
Please understand that it is the job of a commentator to bring in ratings by mentioning a rider from the host broadcaster nation.
If you watch a US feed you're going to hear about whatever rider is in the race.
It is CK's job to light up a race, and it is Kelly's job to provide perspective.
You guys can do better than this. The constant CK bashing is almost embarrassing to read.

:confused: There's this British guy riding around in pink. He's being pretty good...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

17 May 2018 19:06

RedheadDane wrote:
the delgados wrote:
ruamruam wrote:

If you watch a US feed you're going to hear about whatever rider is in the race.

:confused: There's this British guy riding around in pink. He's being pretty good...

Again, I'm giving you and everyone else the benefit of the doubt, so maybe CK is drooling over Froome.
The guy in pink does not ride for a British based team.
User avatar the delgados

17 May 2018 19:08

Because that's so important... :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd say there's a difference between who reporters seek out to interview after - and before - a stage, and who the commentators talk about during a stage.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2018 19:35

RedheadDane wrote:Because that's so important... :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd say there's a difference between who reporters seek out to interview after - and before - a stage, and who the commentators talk about during a stage.

I'm only going to repeat myself for the 100th time.
It is the job of a commentator to highlight riders from teams of the host broadcaster's nation.
For some reason, I am only allowed to see the Giro feed from Israel, and although I don't speak the language, I know Israel Cycling Academy when I hear it. And although the riders are pretty much pack fodder, I hear it a lot.
Know what I'm sayin'?
User avatar the delgados

17 May 2018 19:58

Yeah, got go easy on Carlton, he is a motorsport commentator after all, Imola is the home of Ferrari, ....... Maranello you say what's that?
wansteadimp

17 May 2018 20:20

Carlton Kirby is just terrible. As previously mentioned Ulissi was Atapuma, Betancur was LL Sanchez, Mohoric was first Bonifazio then Dennis. Pozzovivo was today apparently working for Bonifazio. He is just blathering left and right, naming cyclist that have nothing to do with the ongoing action, asking stupid questions to Kelly like: Is this gonna stick Sean?...when two random riders have a 5s gap with 15km to go, and so on and so on...

And delgados I don't care how you spin things and try to portrait him in better light. I know what I hear. And I won't stop listening to him because I love cycling and watch any race I can get on a stream. But the fact remains, he is a bad commentator and it's sad he is actually getting worse at his job as time passes by. One would expect someone with so much experience will eventually get better at the thing he does for living (or for hobby I don't care) but not in his case. He apparently doesn't need to or doesn't care, which is again just sad.
User avatar johnymax

17 May 2018 20:37

the delgados wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Because that's so important... :rolleyes:

I'm only going to repeat myself for the 100th time.
It is the job of a commentator to highlight riders from teams of the host broadcaster's nation.
For some reason, I am only allowed to see the Giro feed from Israel, and although I don't speak the language, I know Israel Cycling Academy when I hear it. And although the riders are pretty much pack fodder, I hear it a lot.
Know what I'm sayin'?

No it isn't. It is the job of a commentator to highlight riders who are in the thick of the action. While a reporter of course may decide to primariliy interview riders - regardless of team - from host broadcaster's nation. Maybe the Israeli broadcasters just haven't figured that out yet, and are pretty stoked about having a team in the race.
Besides, what are all the commentators from countries that don't have a team gonna do?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing