Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re:

06 Mar 2017 12:51

Poursuivant wrote:I think the lad they've got doing it now is really good, I think his name is Rob Hatch. Hopefully he gets the Giro.

He has done the giro the last few years with Kirby doing the Tour/Vuelta
User avatar fowlyetti

Re: Re:

06 Mar 2017 23:24

fowlyetti wrote:
LugHugger wrote:Turbo Durbo? Kirby truly is a massive ****.

??? That is his actual nick name

Indeed. My objection is Kirby's insistence of repeated use of the nickname to the exclusion of Durbridge's actual name. It's not the first time; a couple of seasons ago he did the same with Stannard [Yogi]. It made Saturday's commentary sound sycophantic.
LugHugger

08 Mar 2017 13:25

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 15 Mar 2017 17:04, edited 3 times in total.
argyllflyer

09 Mar 2017 12:05

LugHugger wrote:
fowlyetti wrote:
LugHugger wrote:Turbo Durbo? Kirby truly is a massive ****.

??? That is his actual nick name

Indeed. My objection is Kirby's insistence of repeated use of the nickname to the exclusion of Durbridge's actual name. It's not the first time; a couple of seasons ago he did the same with Stannard [Yogi]. It made Saturday's commentary sound sycophantic.

But he always called Cadel, Cadel and Bradley was Bradley, sometimes Wiggo.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Mar 2017 13:17

Kirby:"Italian sheep...they...they just don't look the best. I don't know why." :lol:
johnymax

Re:

10 Mar 2017 10:49

johnymax wrote:Kirby:"Italian sheep...they...they just don't look the best. I don't know why." :lol:

Must have been a long flat stage ?
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Mar 2017 18:43

Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck
User avatar Swiss Tony

10 Mar 2017 20:23

movingtarget wrote:
johnymax wrote:Kirby:"Italian sheep...they...they just don't look the best. I don't know why." :lol:

That is absolutely no prerequisite for such a Kirby quote.
User avatar Squire

Re:

10 Mar 2017 20:27

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

11 Mar 2017 01:07

Swiss Tony wrote:Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

You don't think it's at all possible that an enthusiast for other racing sports, who got involved with cycling as a professional opportunity, might just maybe start to care about a sport he has spent thousands of hours watching? That's pretty uncharitable.
Zinoviev Letter

Re:

11 Mar 2017 03:53

Swiss Tony wrote:Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

Hey, Hey!
I'm afraid I must insist you refrain from dissing Carlton Kirby. The man is a legend among mere mortals.
He calls the back-end of a bike race like no others and fills dead air like a seasoned raconteur.
Take it easy on Kirby and give the man the lurving he deserves.
User avatar the delgados

11 Mar 2017 03:56

Squire wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

That is absolutely no prerequisite for such a Kirby quote.

Yes I know. Kirby is much better than me in commenting on the mundane. If I saw a sheep I would not comment but I have worked with a few and those ones were not worth commenting on either................
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Mar 2017 10:56

the delgados wrote:

Hey, Hey!
I'm afraid I must insist you refrain from dissing Carlton Kirby. The man is a legend among mere mortals.
He calls the back-end of a bike race like no others and fills dead air like a seasoned raconteur.

Em no !!

Whatever his commentating abilities he is nasty about some riders

What he said yesterday about Nibali was uncalled for and he makes s*** up to improve the image of his favourites and knock those he doesn't like,,,,,He is a biased tool
HelloDolly

11 Mar 2017 11:26

I kinda feel like I'm missing out by not really following Kirby's commentating.

Or, maybe not...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 Mar 2017 16:13

Sean Kelly pronounces Izagirre izzy-gah-ree !!
User avatar TMP402

Re:

11 Mar 2017 19:16

TMP402 wrote:Sean Kelly pronounces Izagirre izzy-gah-ree !!

That is his name of his cousins in Waterford
HelloDolly

Re:

12 Mar 2017 05:14

TMP402 wrote:Sean Kelly pronounces Izagirre izzy-gah-ree !!

He also pronounced Cadel as Caddle. Evans got upset at a journalist after a race when he made that mistake once but I suppose the journo was in good company in that regard !
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Mar 2017 06:06

HelloDolly wrote:
the delgados wrote:

Hey, Hey!

Em no !!

Whatever his commentating abilities he is nasty about some riders

What he said yesterday about Nibali was uncalled for and he makes s*** up to improve the image of his favourites and knock those he doesn't like,,,,,He is a biased tool

Did he say Nibali sold his soul to work for a dictator who is known to torture those who advocate for democracy? Did he say his boss is responsible for wire-tapping journalists who simply want to tell a story?
If so, I like the guy even more.
If not, he's a guy who calls a bike race.
No need for the hate, imo.
User avatar the delgados

12 Mar 2017 09:28

They said that they are "The home of cycling" but today no live coverage of Tirreno and only one hour of P-N with the best designed stages where we could expect everything in both races :rolleyes:
Nirvana

12 Mar 2017 10:38

"The home of cycling", more like a bit of cycling in between advertising. I prefer to watch the TA at l'équipe.
frisenfruitig

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing