Log in:  

Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Eurosport commentary

20 Feb 2018 22:54

Carlton is taking the piss, as they say. He's goofin' around.

Did n't sound like it to me. CK's humor is normally more juvenile.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,859
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

21 Feb 2018 18:49

Robert5091 wrote:
I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!


"Mute on!"
Totally off-topic, but that would be a great band name for self-deprecating types.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,282
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

21 Feb 2018 20:21

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 04 Mar 2018 15:35, edited 8 times in total.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

21 Feb 2018 20:42

Not eurosport related but... VTM will be broadcasting Milan-San Remo and the commentators will be Meryn Castelijn and....TORNADO TOM!!! Get blown away!!!
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan
Member
 
Posts: 1,713
Joined: 27 Dec 2015 16:46
Location: in Flanders fields where poppies blow

22 Feb 2018 19:58

I guess Rob Hatch won't be on Eurosport for any of the events organised by Flanders Classics, as he does the English international broadcast.
User avatar lemon cheese cake
Member
 
Posts: 1,651
Joined: 28 Sep 2014 18:13
Location: Somewhere

Re:

23 Feb 2018 07:59

lemon cheese cake wrote:I guess Rob Hatch won't be on Eurosport for any of the events organised by Flanders Classics, as he does the English international broadcast.


Yeah, all his ES bookings are in my post (someone asked him on Twitter)
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

25 Feb 2018 14:17

Paulo Martins on Eurosport PT is getting worse with names, which I thought wasn't possible...Jos van Emden is now Jus van Venen and Bettiol is now Bettioli (because it didn't sound Italian enough I guess).
User avatar MikeTichondrius
Member
 
Posts: 624
Joined: 21 Jun 2014 23:12
Location: Lisbon

03 Mar 2018 14:31

Carlton's saying "writ large" a lot recently.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,376
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

04 Mar 2018 15:36

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 14 Mar 2018 19:15, edited 3 times in total.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

Re: Re:

10 Mar 2018 14:50

the delgados aka CARLTON KIRBY
"That said, no one calls the end of a bike race like CK. The man is talented"

I see that Carlton is still monitoring his 'borrowed time' on Eurosport. Tirreno Adriatico is yet another race ruined by his drivel. The one good fact though, is that he seems to be slowly being edged out by the commentators who know what they are talking about.
User avatar Cycle Chic
Member
 
Posts: 1,815
Joined: 26 Sep 2009 18:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Re:

10 Mar 2018 16:05

Cycle Chic wrote:the delgados aka CARLTON KIRBY
"That said, no one calls the end of a bike race like CK. The man is talented"

I see that Carlton is still monitoring his 'borrowed time' on Eurosport. Tirreno Adriatico is yet another race ruined by his drivel. The one good fact though, is that he seems to be slowly being edged out by the commentators who know what they are talking about.


Oh, hey there, Cycle Chic!
Long time no see. I hope you and the family are well.
Funny, I came here immediately after stage 4 of Tirreno Adriatico just for kicks. I knew one of the braying hounds would have something to say about my man Carlton Kirby. I'm not surprised that you are one of the usual suspects who come here to announce his imminent demise. According to your prognostications, the guy should have been fired at least two years ago. Yet you still hang on to the hope! Good for you, Cycle Chic. No one can call you a quitter.
I watched the final 20 km's or so of today's stage and was listening intently to what my man CK was saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong (with examples), but he seemed to have a good grasp on what was happening.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,282
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

10 Mar 2018 18:30

Kirby is the No 1 commentator on Eurosport (I don't mean that to be a subjective statement) and gets virtually all the big races, nothing's changed this year from last that I can see.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

10 Mar 2018 18:50

Paris Nice finished 100 minutes before Tirreno Adriatico. Why on Earth would Eurosport choose to be showing something 40km or so from the end of TA at exactly the time they could have been showing the final stages of PN? Is the charge from ASO for live rather than delayed broadcast that much more? Crazy broadcasting choice.
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,999
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

Re:

10 Mar 2018 21:02

Armchair cyclist wrote:Paris Nice finished 100 minutes before Tirreno Adriatico. Why on Earth would Eurosport choose to be showing something 40km or so from the end of TA at exactly the time they could have been showing the final stages of PN? Is the charge from ASO for live rather than delayed broadcast that much more? Crazy broadcasting choice.


Good question. I have no clue, so please forgive me for what may be a dumb idea why: It's hard to determine in advance how long a race would take to finish--e.g. weather, route, relative amount of time the riders decide when to pick up the pace. I'm just guessing.

P.S. Hey Cycle Chic! You there? Hello?
Are you still scouring the tapes to show us that my man Carlton Kirby has no clue what he's talking about?
Take your time, buddy.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,282
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re:

10 Mar 2018 21:05

Armchair cyclist wrote:Paris Nice finished 100 minutes before Tirreno Adriatico. Why on Earth would Eurosport choose to be showing something 40km or so from the end of TA at exactly the time they could have been showing the final stages of PN? Is the charge from ASO for live rather than delayed broadcast that much more? Crazy broadcasting choice.


They signed a deal with RCS to show all their races live, including the desert diversions. They dont have such a deal with ASO - it seems to be on an event by event basis (though to be fair ES have got most of them). Qatar, when ran, for example was owned by BEIN in Europe, rather than Eurosport. Some of their other current events are shown delayed rather than live. I could be wrong but the Arctic Race of Norway I seem to recall being shown delayed mostly in 2017, maybe it was live on the player. Tour de Yorkshire had fairly poor coverage on ES compared to ITV4 last year.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

Re: Eurosport commentary

11 Mar 2018 15:06

Tirreno Adriatico, Stage 5:
Today my man Carlton Kirby referred to a famous novel; he referred to the solar plexus; he referred to more than one mythological figure; and he combined all of that with a brilliant description of the final 20 km's.
I'm honestly beginning to think that perhaps the CK haters on this forum do not understand metaphors. (Oh, wait. Someone a while back criticized Carlton Kirby for referring to a rabbit without having a clue that he was referring to Aesop's Fables.I should have realized it long ago)
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,282
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

11 Mar 2018 15:10

I had to listen to him today, and I wanted to shoot him within 10 seconds. Shut up, shut up, shut up! Really, Majka working on the front for Formolo? Sagan out of it when he is in 10th~position on the climb and not gapped? He is such a pain and he constantly fills the air with nonsense.
Last edited by Netserk on 11 Mar 2018 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Eurosport commentary

11 Mar 2018 15:10

the delgados wrote:Tirreno Adriatico, Stage 5:
Today my man Carlton Kirby referred to a famous novel; he referred to the solar plexus; he referred to more than one mythological figure; and he combined all of that with a brilliant description of the final 20 km's.
I'm honestly beginning to think that perhaps the CK haters on this forum do not understand metaphors. (Oh, wait. Someone a while back criticized Carlton Kirby for referring to a rabbit without having a clue that he was referring to Aesop's Fables.I should have realized it long ago)

I watched the last 15 km and enjoyed listening to him, he can certainly pump up an atmosphere and say a lot of funny, stupid or wtf things that makes it enjoyable for me.

He is most certainly 1000x better than Rene Wenzel on Danish eurosport, I doubt you can find anyone worse than him.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,538
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Eurosport commentary

11 Mar 2018 15:25

Valv.Piti wrote:
the delgados wrote:Tirreno Adriatico, Stage 5:
Today my man Carlton Kirby referred to a famous novel; he referred to the solar plexus; he referred to more than one mythological figure; and he combined all of that with a brilliant description of the final 20 km's.
I'm honestly beginning to think that perhaps the CK haters on this forum do not understand metaphors. (Oh, wait. Someone a while back criticized Carlton Kirby for referring to a rabbit without having a clue that he was referring to Aesop's Fables.I should have realized it long ago)

I watched the last 15 km and enjoyed listening to him, he can certainly pump up an atmosphere and say a lot of funny, stupid or wtf things that makes it enjoyable for me.

He is most certainly 1000x better than Rene Wenzel on Danish eurosport, I doubt you can find anyone worse than him.


Yes, I've been watching Tirreno on Italian or French streams to avoid that horror duo they have chosen to cover that race (for the third year in a row!).

He is insufferably bad. I can't comprehend why they are using him so much.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,961
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

11 Mar 2018 16:13

I think the problem was that they (Eurosport Denmark) had Thomas Bay and, I presume, Leif Mortensen commentating Paris-Nice, and those newbies can't even commentate two races at the same time...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,756
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LaFlorecita, Red Rick, Robert5091, Sestriere and 57 guests

Back to top