Log in:  

Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 08:24

the delgados wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.




He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy


So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.


To back HD up, I am sure I have heard RP be derogatory about CK too, can't recall the exacts wheres and whens though. It may have been on Twitter with a bit of footage accompanying, and if I am right in remembering that, it was a while ago. Part of me thinks when he was injured last season but something else is telling me it was a few seasons back. Anyway I can't recall but that was my memory of it. At the end of the day there are very few English-speaking commentators working year round on the sport that have their work broadcast in Europe where Porte is during the season.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,454
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

Re:

18 Feb 2018 08:26

Netserk wrote:When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)


I finally got around to watching The Program last night - how embarrassing hearing Phil L blow smoke up US Postals' collective backside on the used archive footage with his fawning 'winning and racing clean' speil.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,454
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

18 Feb 2018 11:14

It also seems a number in the peleton have little time for Cycling News, especially their analysis of races.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

18 Feb 2018 12:03

yaco wrote:It also seems a number in the peleton have little time for Cycling News, especially their analysis of races.


Probably more the Clinic than anything else and stories about motors etc............
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 15:25

the delgados wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.






He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy


So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.



Just listening to Kirby at Ruta de Sol now
He has said how great it is to have Chris Frome back ( no idea where he has been :rolleyes: ) and how the others rides welcomed him back and how the press were making his life difficult
In fact he hardly mentioned any other riders leading in the race ...it was all Froome with him and how great he is s ...and people here talk about Phil Ligget

Besides the fact that it is a lie that other riders welcomed Froome back Kirby has decided that the adverse findings on the Salbutamol test is just an inconvenience for Froome and didnt even mention the details. It was all just poor Froome and how the press is out to get him...but hey Froome gives everything (more like takes everything ) and he is wondeful to have here in Andulucia racing !!!

KIrby will have no bad word said about Froome ....but lets see if that was a Russian or Spanish rider....he would make every allusion about their performance from the beginning of time...certainly never held back on Bala or Bertie...but Frooem nothing

The man is a disgrace to cycling and should be taken off the box. He is totally biased and an idiot
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,026
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 16:07

HelloDolly wrote:
the delgados wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.






He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy


So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.



Just listening to Kirby at Ruta de Sol now
He has said how great it is to have Chris Frome back ( no idea where he has been :rolleyes: ) and how the others rides welcomed him back and how the press were making his life difficult
In fact he hardly mentioned any other riders leading in the race ...it was all Froome with him and how great he is s ...and people here talk about Phil Ligget

Besides the fact that it is a lie that other riders welcomed Froome back Kirby has decided that the adverse findings on the Salbutamol test is just an inconvenience for Froome and didnt even mention the details. It was all just poor Froome and how the press is out to get him...but hey Froome gives everything (more like takes everything ) and he is wondeful to have here in Andulucia racing !!!

KIrby will have no bad word said about Froome ....but lets see if that was a Russian or Spanish rider....he would make every allusion about their performance from the beginning of time...certainly never held back on Bala or Bertie...but Frooem nothing

The man is a disgrace to cycling and should be taken off the box. He is totally biased and an idiot


You are making things up - Kirby clearly stated that Froome has his issues during the telecast - He made no mention of the press being out to get Froome - There is no need for Kirby or Stephens to go into great details about the Froome issue - His job is to call the race while Stephen's provide special comments.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 17:13

yaco wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
the delgados wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
tobydawq wrote:We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.






He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy


So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.



Just listening to Kirby at Ruta de Sol now
He has said how great it is to have Chris Frome back ( no idea where he has been :rolleyes: ) and how the others rides welcomed him back and how the press were making his life difficult
In fact he hardly mentioned any other riders leading in the race ...it was all Froome with him and how great he is s ...and people here talk about Phil Ligget

Besides the fact that it is a lie that other riders welcomed Froome back Kirby has decided that the adverse findings on the Salbutamol test is just an inconvenience for Froome and didnt even mention the details. It was all just poor Froome and how the press is out to get him...but hey Froome gives everything (more like takes everything ) and he is wondeful to have here in Andulucia racing !!!

KIrby will have no bad word said about Froome ....but lets see if that was a Russian or Spanish rider....he would make every allusion about their performance from the beginning of time...certainly never held back on Bala or Bertie...but Frooem nothing

The man is a disgrace to cycling and should be taken off the box. He is totally biased and an idiot


You are making things up - Kirby clearly stated that Froome has his issues during the telecast - He made no mention of the press being out to get Froome - There is no need for Kirby or Stephens to go into great details about the Froome issue - His job is to call the race while Stephen's provide special comments.



I am not making things UP !!!

He said all I relayed and maybe Kirby & Stephens dont need to talk about the details of the Frooem case ( i dint suggest they did ) but dont talk as if it is just an inconveninece to poor Froome and the press are giving poor Froome a hard time ... this was his approach ....as far as Kirby is concerned Froome is the victim ,,every word he uttered had that slant
I dont make things up ... listen to what he said then go back and listen to what he has said about other riders who have failed tests

And he lied when he said the other rider welocmed Froome...there is enough evidence through published interviews that they didnt

And Kirby kept saying how great it was to have Froome racing in this race when so many others in the sport have suggested he be suspended until the case is settled .....and you dont call that bias
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,026
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 17:26

I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 18:41

yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.


And to be fair, the race started in midweek and they've been talking about Froome etc every day. I have watched every day but I haven't listened to everything they have said. They have (that I have heard) talked about the whole thing a fair amount.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,454
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 18:48

argyllflyer wrote:
yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.


And to be fair, the race started in midweek and they've been talking about Froome etc every day. I have watched every day but I haven't listened to everything they have said. They have (that I have heard) talked about the whole thing a fair amount.


You are correct. I feel like they've dealt with the issue in a controlled and diplomatic manner. I do not see a Sky bias in the way the issue has been dealt with on air. I don't wish to put words in the mouths of others, and I apologize in advance if I do so, but it seems to me that some feel it is Carlton Kirby's job to vilify Froome on air, during a race. That would be a really stupid thing to do, for more reasons than one.
p.s. Edited to add that if a bias existed, they would not have brought up the subject. Keep in mind that a lot of people who tune in to a broadcast know next to nothing about the sport. If Carlton et al. wanted to brush the issue under the carpet, they would not say one word about what's going on.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,231
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 19:10

argyllflyer wrote:
yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.


And to be fair, the race started in midweek and they've been talking about Froome etc every day. I have watched every day but I haven't listened to everything they have said. They have (that I have heard) talked about the whole thing a fair amount.


I agree the commentators mentioned Froome too often during the five days - Will add that at least they spoke in general terms about Froome.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 20:53

yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.



My comments are 'polluting a thread' while you and delgados can ignore what is said cos it doesnt support your view ? But I guess you are not polluting a thread.

How arrogant are you ...your opinion is all that matters? its an opinion forum and I am entitled to my opinions on Kirby without being accused of poluting or making things up

Ridiculous debating with someone like you ...you are just interested in throwing mud an what you dont want to hear , not dealing in facts
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,026
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eurosport commentary

18 Feb 2018 22:19

HelloDolly wrote:
yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.



My comments are 'polluting a thread' while you and delgados can ignore what is said cos it doesnt support your view ? But I guess you are not polluting a thread.

How arrogant are you ...your opinion is all that matters? its an opinion forum and I am entitled to my opinions on Kirby without being accused of poluting or making things up

Ridiculous debating with someone like you ...you are just interested in throwing mud an what you dont want to hear , not dealing in facts


Easy now. Let's all stop with this cussin' and feudin.'
Since my username was mentioned in the previous post, I feel obligated to speak up on my own behalf.
For what it's worth, I've just been having fun with the whole pro/anti Kirby thing. Online feuds can be really tiresome, and I admit that what started as a joke took on a different spin. Reason being is I really started to pay attention to what Kirby was saying, and more often than not, I realized a lot of the criticism leveled against CK was completely unfair and unfounded. I was beginning to get the impression that folks here considered CK the "Fred" of broadcasting.
I'm a sappy bleeding heart whose instinct is to to stick up for the underdog, and I realize I have become the butt of my own joke.
Honestly, I don't care if some rando on the interwebs doesn't like Carlton Kirby. I tend to care about what I see as glaring inaccuracies, but even those don't warrant a pissing match on the internet.
I hereby apologize for pissing anyone off.
Please carry on.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,231
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Eurosport commentary

19 Feb 2018 04:40

HelloDolly wrote:
yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.



My comments are 'polluting a thread' while you and delgados can ignore what is said cos it doesnt support your view ? But I guess you are not polluting a thread.

How arrogant are you ...your opinion is all that matters? its an opinion forum and I am entitled to my opinions on Kirby without being accused of poluting or making things up

Ridiculous debating with someone like you ...you are just interested in throwing mud an what you dont want to hear , not dealing in facts


Yes your comments are polluting a thread - Many posts contain assertions about what commentator X has allegedly sent through a broadcast and they are spot on the money, so there is no need to say anything - In this case, your interpretation, your nuance, your spin about Kirby's comments about Froome on this day and during the particular race are stretching the truth - As two other posters have pointed out the Froome discussion was couched in general terms and showed no BIAS for or against Froome - It's only you who can see BIAS.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

19 Feb 2018 05:51

I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,053
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

19 Feb 2018 06:23

Robert5091 wrote:
I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!


Of course these things happen but surprised it would be publically discussed.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,021
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

19 Feb 2018 14:21

yaco wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!


Of course these things happen but surprised it would be publically discussed.


What was the inference behind their faked puncture comment? Didn't see any coverage of the race..
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,143
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

Re: Eurosport commentary

20 Feb 2018 07:56

yaco wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
yaco wrote:I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4, and Kirby's arithmetic skills that were sadly lacking today - All Kirby stated during the telecast was Froome had issues to resolve and inferred he had the weight of the world on his shoulders - It becomes tiring when some pollute threads time and time again because they don't like a commentator - Personally I find Kirby to be OK, and he he is most effective during exciting moments during stages/races, or at the finish of sprint stages - And as he mostly does stage races which by their very nature can have many flat spots, he tries to liven up the coverage.



My comments are 'polluting a thread' while you and delgados can ignore what is said cos it doesnt support your view ? But I guess you are not polluting a thread.

How arrogant are you ...your opinion is all that matters? its an opinion forum and I am entitled to my opinions on Kirby without being accused of poluting or making things up

Ridiculous debating with someone like you ...you are just interested in throwing mud an what you dont want to hear , not dealing in facts


Yes your comments are polluting a thread - Many posts contain assertions about what commentator X has allegedly sent through a broadcast and they are spot on the money, so there is no need to say anything - In this case, your interpretation, your nuance, your spin about Kirby's comments about Froome on this day and during the particular race are stretching the truth - As two other posters have pointed out the Froome discussion was couched in general terms and showed no BIAS for or against Froome - It's only you who can see BIAS.


As I said you are arrogant

The cooments are plain to be heard on the TT day
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,026
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re: Re:

20 Feb 2018 13:48

ferryman wrote:
yaco wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!


Of course these things happen but surprised it would be publically discussed.


What was the inference behind their faked puncture comment? Didn't see any coverage of the race..


The inference was that Sky didn't want Froome being in a position to win the race because of the doping case, having a puncture just before an uphill finish would ensure he lost enough time to rule him out of the overall.

However, several other riders had punctures on the same stretch of road. So.....
wansteadimp
Junior Member
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 20 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: Re:

20 Feb 2018 16:29

wansteadimp wrote:
ferryman wrote:
yaco wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
I was more concerned with the inference from Kirby/Stephens that Froome may have faked his puncture before the final climb in stage 4,

Yep, heard it too ... and ... mute on!


Of course these things happen but surprised it would be publically discussed.


What was the inference behind their faked puncture comment? Didn't see any coverage of the race..


The inference was that Sky didn't want Froome being in a position to win the race because of the doping case, having a puncture just before an uphill finish would ensure he lost enough time to rule him out of the overall.

However, several other riders had punctures on the same stretch of road. So.....


...Carlton is taking the piss, as they say. He's goofin' around. He's making a joke by mentioning the Froome scandal in a not so subtle way.
He is quite unlike any other broadcaster I've heard in any sport; and as Martha Stewart would say: "That's a good thing."
He reminds me of the kind of guy with whom I'd gladly share a beer and make cracks while watching a sport we really like.
P.S. Edited to add CK is your everyman. He resembles so many likable people who has their flaws. And who the hell doesn't have flaws?
That said, no one calls the end of a bike race like CK. The man is talented.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,231
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arnout, Climbing, fattyboomstixsmum, GenericBoonenFan, Hugo Koblet, VayaVayaVaya and 25 guests

Back to top