Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Eurosport commentary

09 May 2018 18:57

Scarponi wrote:Flecha doing the stage recons in Spanish instead of English on Eurosport haha

This also happened on Paris-Nice. Not sure why he's (or they) ditched the English that he's used in similar features in recent years.
argyllflyer

09 May 2018 18:59

argyllflyer wrote:
Scarponi wrote:Flecha doing the stage recons in Spanish instead of English on Eurosport haha

This also happened on Paris-Nice. Not sure why he's (or they) ditched the English that he's used in similar features in recent years.

If he feels more comfortable speaking in Spanish...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 May 2018 19:33

Maybe it's just smoother for Eurosport to let him fluently talk in Spanish and translate it with recorded stuff.
User avatar staubsauger

09 May 2018 20:38

argyllflyer wrote:

Agreed. Flecha's enthusiasm is infectious and his knowledge is second to none.
User avatar the delgados

09 May 2018 21:54

the delgados wrote:
argyllflyer wrote:

But the live "translation" over the top misses a lot of what he says, so it may as well be the observations of someone less knowledgeable.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

09 May 2018 23:07

argyllflyer wrote:

His English is heavily accented.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 May 2018 23:27

This half-baked translations heavily annoy me on German Eurosport as well. Gosh, we're not in the 90s anymore, where most older people didn't understand English. It's no longer up to date, to talk about a person's speech. Half of the content always gets lost in hectic translation and it's hard to focus on the original statement only!
User avatar staubsauger

10 May 2018 07:44

movingtarget wrote:
argyllflyer wrote:

His English is heavily accented.

It is but he has spoken (regularly) on Eurosport in English ever since retiring. I don't think he was great doing the live stuff pre and post race but the recons were fine as I would guess they were a bit more scripted. I'm far less interested in these pieces when it's Jon Harris-Bass or AN Other doing a basic translation over the top.
argyllflyer

10 May 2018 11:13

I agree with you guys, I loved Flecha speaking English, I never had any problems understanding it. Also when he interviewed people or conversed with others. Just the energy in his voice and how he's always smiling. But this overdub now is just bad, annoying and I don't like to watch it. I hope they go back, this was not a good decision.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

10 May 2018 12:37

Reichenbach in the break and Kirby is having a field day...
User avatar Akuryo

10 May 2018 13:33

That Max Saxman though, what a talent
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

10 May 2018 14:08

If this online petition reaches 1000 signatures it will be submitted to Eurosport

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/get-rid-of-carlton-kirby
ClassicomanoLuigi

11 May 2018 10:26

the delgados wrote:
argyllflyer wrote:

well thats because he was a pro cyclist...durrr.....and commentators should have a good knowledge of their sport - hear that Carlton aka Delgados.

Eurosport must pay minimum wage because no-one is willing to take Kirbys role as lead commenatator, chief idiot. I cant think of any other reason as to why Eurosport dont, cant replace him.
User avatar Cycle Chic

11 May 2018 14:11

Cycle Chic wrote:
the delgados wrote:
argyllflyer wrote:

well thats because he was a pro cyclist...durrr.....and commentators should have a good knowledge of their sport - hear that Carlton aka Delgados.

Eurosport must pay minimum wage because no-one is willing to take Kirbys role as lead commenatator, chief idiot. I cant think of any other reason as to why Eurosport dont, cant replace him.

Oh, Cycle. Now now, little buddy.
I can think of one reason why Kirby is still employed. Ready now, Cycle? It's because he gets positive feedback from casual observers of the sport.
Casual cycling fans like his occasionally witty turns of phrase and his laid back approach. They also like it when he lights up like a Christmas tree in in the finale of a stage.
I can assure you, Cycle, that he would be kicked to the curb if the bigwigs at Eurosport didn't think he was an asset.
I know these are trying times for you, Cycle. A grand Tour takes a long time to complete. But I'm afraid you are stuck with my man Carlton Kirby along the way.
Be well.
P.S. Here's a suggestion. Link to the Hebrew station that is covering the Giro. That's the only option I have on Steephill. I would dearly love to hear the gentle whispers of my man Carlton Kirby, but the station from Israel is all I can get.
p.p.s. Please tell us: How old are you?
User avatar the delgados

11 May 2018 14:27

Brian Smith re Etna stage last year "It was a bit of a damp Squid"
User avatar MartinGT

11 May 2018 15:23

Kirby making Flintstones references in the last 5km... disgrace.
therealthing

11 May 2018 21:50

Kirby letting everyone know that Kelly had punched the air when Bennett won was pretty funny. Kelly normally does a very good job of hiding his biases, particularly by the low standards of English language Eurosport. That’s helped by his uninflected delivery but also reflects an old pros cynicism - he doesn’t sugar the pill when things are going wrong for riders he likes. Bennett though has been his protege from a young age (only Irish sprinter since Kelly, from the same small town, came up through Kelly’s Conti team). Even after his air-punching was revealed, Kelly didn’t admit to cheering for Bennett though!
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

12 May 2018 00:57

MartinGT wrote:Brian Smith re Etna stage last year "It was a bit of a damp Squid"

He got the damp part right.........
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 07:47

Armchair cyclist wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Errr... wirral, did you for some reason accidentally write neo-pro, or did Rob Hatch actually use the term "neo-pro"?

Fellow, Danes. Help me out here! Who's the guy in the studio? Meinert?

When Hatch produced a phonetic construction that Wirral didn't recognise, Wirral assumed (or maybe he simply pretended, for comedic effect, to assume) that it was a rider he hadn't heard of, and therefore, a neo-pro.

The balance between a totally anglicised pronunciation, which comes across as ignorant, and a over-enunciated attempt to say the name as the rider might, which can appear pretentious, is one that every commentator must find for himself. I try not to mind too much, so long as what we end up with can be defended in either the original or target language: Fryeeyeay for Fraile does neither, nor does Castorvejio.

Precisely this.

I wasn't pretending though. I was thinking, "Who is this Myrko?" I had to check the Quick Step team roster.

I feel there should be some mention of precedent though. English commentators have been calling Morkov, "Morkov" for years. If they are going to switch to "Myrko" we should get some warning. How about "Myrko, the rider formally known as Morkov"! Ha.
User avatar wirral

12 May 2018 08:54

Cycle Chic wrote:
the delgados wrote:
argyllflyer wrote:

And now we're all the way back to the very start when you couldn't comprehend the fact that most sports have a commentary team comprising a lead commentator, usually a professional commentator, and an analyst, usually an ex-pro. Séan Kelly or whoever they use as analyst is not equipped to call the sprint and do the lead commentator's job, so they don't. Almost all commentary teams across most sports are like this. Michel Wuyts on Sporza never turned a pedal in anger, but doesn't attract criticism from you. Being an ex-pro might give you the knowledge of the sport, but it doesn't give you the ability to impart that to the audience in the right manner to be a lead commentator. It's better to have a pro commentator who can tell you what is happening, and an analyst who can then tell you why, or what this means going forward. They aren't going to replace Kirby with an ex-pro, other than maybe Matt Stephens, because they're looking for somebody to do the lead commentary role, not somebody to be the analyst. So if you want Kirby replaced, realistically you're looking for one of the types of people they have been trying variously at different times - Rob Hatch, Declan Quigley, Marty MacDonald, Matt Keenan, Jonathan Harris-Bass etc.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing