Log in:  

Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 May 2018 09:45

wirral wrote:I was thinking, "Who is this Myrko?" I had to check the Quick Step team roster.

I feel there should be some mention of precedent though. English commentators have been calling Morkov, "Morkov" for years. If they are going to switch to "Myrko" we should get some warning. How about "Myrko, the rider formally known as Morkov"! Ha.


Hatch does sometimes seem to forget that the point of naming riders is so that the audience can know who is spoken about, rather that to exhibit his multi-lingual talents. A bit like an arts correspondent who produces some probably authentic gutteral noises unrecognised by those listening, who were expecting to hear a programme about 'Van Goff'.
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,866
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

12 May 2018 13:48

Ok, Italy and Italian food is awesome, but can they please shut the **** up about all the restaurants they visit?
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,741
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

Re:

12 May 2018 14:41

spalco wrote:Ok, Italy and Italian food is awesome, but can they please shut the **** up about all the restaurants they visit?


That repeated conversation about cheap, great restaurants might have led / lead to 200 viewers from across the world booking holidays to the south of Italy.
User avatar wirral
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,499
Joined: 28 Mar 2011 06:05

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 16:31

wirral wrote:
spalco wrote:Ok, Italy and Italian food is awesome, but can they please shut the **** up about all the restaurants they visit?


That repeated conversation about cheap, great restaurants might have led / lead to 200 viewers from across the world booking holidays to the south of Italy.


Exactly.
The images from today's stage of the Giro were absolutely stunning. My non-cycling fan friend who visited the country was captivated by the scenery and I managed to get her excited about the race.
I could be wrong, but I think sometimes people forget how hard it is to fill dead air when nothing is really happening.
Edited to add that I think that cycling is the hardest sport to call as a commentator. I haven't given it much thought, but sometimes I feel bad for those who have to talk when there is nothing to say.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

12 May 2018 18:00

I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,436
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

12 May 2018 18:10

RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.


Yes, I completely agree.
In my not so humble opinion, my man Carlton Kirby does a pretty good job of doing so.
I'm not familiar with a lot of sports --e.g. rugby, cricket, football etc---but I'm curious to know what people think is the hardest sport to commentate.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 18:13

the delgados wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.


Yes, I completely agree.
In my not so humble opinion, my man Carlton Kirby does a pretty good job of doing so.
I'm not familiar with a lot of sports --e.g. rugby, cricket, football etc---but I'm curious to know what people think is the hardest sport to commentate.

No, he doesn't. Duffield was doing a good job. Migels & Leclercq are doing a good job. Wuyts / Schotte & De Cauwer are doing an excellent job. Kirby clearly not.
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,140
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 19:09

staubsauger wrote:
the delgados wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.


Yes, I completely agree.
In my not so humble opinion, my man Carlton Kirby does a pretty good job of doing so.
I'm not familiar with a lot of sports --e.g. rugby, cricket, football etc---but I'm curious to know what people think is the hardest sport to commentate.

No, he doesn't. Duffield was doing a good job. Migels & Leclercq are doing a good job. Wuyts / Schotte & De Cauwer are doing an excellent job. Kirby clearly not.


Oh.
Thanks for correcting me.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 19:58

the delgados wrote:
staubsauger wrote:
the delgados wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.


Yes, I completely agree.
In my not so humble opinion, my man Carlton Kirby does a pretty good job of doing so.
I'm not familiar with a lot of sports --e.g. rugby, cricket, football etc---but I'm curious to know what people think is the hardest sport to commentate.

No, he doesn't. Duffield was doing a good job. Migels & Leclercq are doing a good job. Wuyts / Schotte & De Cauwer are doing an excellent job. Kirby clearly not.


Oh.
Thanks for correcting me.


My god, how about quitting being so uptight when someone disagrees with you? You know you're fighting an impossible battle in this thread.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,585
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 21:27

tobydawq wrote:
the delgados wrote:
staubsauger wrote:
the delgados wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.


Yes, I completely agree.
In my not so humble opinion, my man Carlton Kirby does a pretty good job of doing so.
I'm not familiar with a lot of sports --e.g. rugby, cricket, football etc---but I'm curious to know what people think is the hardest sport to commentate.

No, he doesn't. Duffield was doing a good job. Migels & Leclercq are doing a good job. Wuyts / Schotte & De Cauwer are doing an excellent job. Kirby clearly not.


Oh.
Thanks for correcting me.


My god, how about quitting being so uptight when someone disagrees with you? You know you're fighting an impossible battle in this thread.


We have never met, but I can assure you of one thing. I am not getting uptight. I'm having a bit of fun.
This thing started as a joke about how people get upset and starts fights with strangers on the internet.
One day I said to a friend, "Hey, let's see if I can get people riled up about something so silly as the Carlton Kirby thread."
It worked, and I admit to being a troll. But as the thread progressed I started paying a lot more attention to my man Carlton Kirby, and I began to realize that a lot of vitriol thrown his way was entirely unwarranted.
I have actually come to be a fan of Carlton Kirby.
I've said this many times in the past, and I'll repeat it once again. I do not give a rats *** if you like or dislike Carlton Kirby.
This whole thing started as a way to illustrate how people interact with one another on the internet.
That is all.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re:

12 May 2018 22:58

RedheadDane wrote:I'd say a good cycling commentator needs to be able to talk about all kind of things when nothing really happens in the race; historical sights, local cuisine, interesting people with connections to the places they're going through, wildlife, children's cartoons... then, as soon as something actually happens in the race, literally interrupt themselves and start talking about the race.



Talking about local cuisine would be awesome.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,090
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

13 May 2018 07:26

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 27 May 2018 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
argyllflyer
Member
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: 06 Apr 2012 20:55

15 May 2018 11:07

Flecha again speaking English in Giro Extra! This is great news, I love hearing him speak.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

Re: Eurosport commentary

15 May 2018 16:22

Is anyone else really sick of the Jerusalem Tel Aviv tourism ad. Bloody music is almost as bad as Kirby
craigmalone
New Member
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 23 Aug 2014 16:03

Re:

15 May 2018 17:29

Lequack wrote:Flecha again speaking English in Giro Extra! This is great news, I love hearing him speak.


I agree.
Flecha is awesome. I just want to give the guy a big hug and say thanks for his contributions.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Eurosport commentary

15 May 2018 17:57

craigmalone wrote:Is anyone else really sick of the Jerusalem Tel Aviv tourism ad. Bloody music is almost as bad as Kirby


I don't mind it since the girls are super cute. What I found weird is there are multiple version of the ad for different regions, and in each version they replaced the blond girl with someone else, for example this is the original English one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOJ-i5hJdI

And the german version has a different blonde girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVOqHHMGo4

And the the Italian (I think) version has a guy instead of the blond girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dzwfX_q6Zc

I just found it interesting they did that.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

15 May 2018 19:50

Wait. They actually produced a sexist version of the ad with an older, rich man and his trophy girl especially for the Italian market? :D
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,140
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re:

15 May 2018 20:00

staubsauger wrote:Wait. They actually produced a sexist version of the ad with an older, rich man and his trophy girl especially for the Italian market? :D

They seem to know the Italian market pretty well. :D
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,252
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

16 May 2018 12:57

English ad clearly wins there
craigmalone
New Member
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 23 Aug 2014 16:03

16 May 2018 13:01

Danish (Player) commentators are picking favourites for the stage, by not picking the obvious favourites... apparently that's too boring.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,436
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alexix7, Blanco, Dekker_Tifosi, DNP-Old, faucon, Google [Bot], rghysens, Tim Booth and 59 guests

Back to top