Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

22 Aug 2018 09:41

Back to normal I see with the Vuelta. With the host broadcaster only offering a couple of hours of live coverage on most stages, CK will be manning the booth back in the UK. I see that "little" Louis Meintjes is riding - how far in will we get before he is castigated for leaving Qubeka for Lampre?
Alberto Fishwick

Re:

22 Aug 2018 09:54

Alberto Fishwick wrote:Back to normal I see with the Vuelta. With the host broadcaster only offering a couple of hours of live coverage on most stages, CK will be manning the booth back in the UK. I see that "little" Louis Meintjes is riding - how far in will we get before he is castigated for leaving Qubeka for Lampre?

And then lauded for returning to Qubeka (now Dimension Data)?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

25 Aug 2018 09:33

Sorry for hijacking this thread for stuff that isn't technically about Eurosport commentating, but am I understanding the scheduling correctly here?
At 13:16 ("Danish time") they'll start showing stage 9 of Tour de l'Avenir live on Eurosport 1, then - at 15:00 - they'll switch over to Deutschland Tour, and after that switch back to l'Avenir? (With GP de Plouay shown on the Player at the same time.)
Or is the l'Avenir bit scheduled at 17:00 a recap/replay?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

25 Aug 2018 11:54

Must be, it's on live now.
Alberto Fishwick

25 Aug 2018 13:15

Then what the hell am I gonna do with my life for those thirty minutes between the coverage of Deutschland Tour (and Plouay, if they actually start it...) finishing and the coverage of the Vuelta starting? :mad:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

25 Aug 2018 14:09

RedheadDane wrote:Then what the hell am I gonna do with my life for those thirty minutes between the coverage of Deutschland Tour (and Plouay, if they actually start it...) finishing and the coverage of the Vuelta starting? :mad:

Grab a snack?
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

26 Aug 2018 15:04

Today Magrini said that on the player they start an hour early with the Vuelta coverage.
It's becoming annoying that player thing, they're trying to force people pay for that.
Nirvana

Re:

26 Aug 2018 15:23

Nirvana wrote:Today Magrini said that on the player they start an hour early with the Vuelta coverage.
It's becoming annoying that player thing, they're trying to force people pay for that.

Well that's not annoying, that's good marketing. The annoying thing is that their schedule shows less consistency than the mood of a pregnant woman.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re: Re:

26 Aug 2018 22:29

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Nirvana wrote:Today Magrini said that on the player they start an hour early with the Vuelta coverage.

Well that's not annoying, that's good marketing. The annoying thing is that their schedule shows less consistency than the mood of a pregnant woman.

Even more annoying is that changes to the schedule are not listed anywhere - not even on their website.
PlanZ

Re:

27 Aug 2018 00:53

Sounds like NBC and their streaming service NBCGold.
User avatar Koronin

27 Aug 2018 10:33

GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Good marketing for them but a trick for the users, they are turning their channel in a big promo for the player, every year there are more races on the player only and now they'are starting to put less coverage on the channels. Add that (at least in Italy) Eurosport 2 is not anymore the international one but a local version with local coverage (i.e. Serie A of basket, volley, beach volley) so even races aired on Eurosport 2 often go on the player.

In my opinion they are only trying to force the users to pay for the player but why i should pay if i already pay Sky (that pay a lot to have their channel) and i can't watch the player on the TV because the app is compatible only with TIM Vision (and you should pay also TIM to have TIM Vision)?

I wonder how is possible that Sky doesn't have anything to say about Eurosport channels becoming a promo for the player, they even signed a new deal last month (more munific for Eurosport) because the older was set to expire this year and i think they want Eurosport because of the rich bouquet of rights they have not to have a promo.
Nirvana

Re: Eurosport commentary

28 Aug 2018 13:03

Carlton Kirby, in his wisdom, informs road-racers that an aero-tuck on a road bike is "not aerodynamic" because it "has been tested in a wind tunnel" and that they would be better off to "keep pedaling"

An obese load like Kirby is possibly no more aerodynamic in one orientation of a blob than in another... but I think there are reasons why bike racers, including myself, use aero positions
ClassicomanoLuigi

02 Sep 2018 11:32

HelloDolly wrote:I agree totally with this...but what is more galling is Kirby insists on being right even when he is wrong
He is talking such **** all the time that he misses so much of the race ...so he makes stuff up...this is where it is galling... he goes on as if he is an authority on the sport when it is clear he is bluffing most of the time
KIrby is quite literally an idiot who thinks he is a genius because he half learned a lot of random facts ...his ego demands that he is always right even when he is wrong
Correct. Just now we have Kirby making up some **** as if he would know about the experience of being "tended-to by the team car" for injuries, when he has never even been what I would call a "cyclist", let alone a racer. Also within the same span of a few minutes, Kirby says the temperature in Spain is 10 degrees °C lower than it actually is right now... and as is often the case, Kirby mentions the town the race is passing through only in order to insult the town residents, by saying he personally doesn't like the style of their houses. **** you, Carlton Kirby
ClassicomanoLuigi

02 Sep 2018 17:26

duplicate
Last edited by argyllflyer on 04 Oct 2018 07:10, edited 10 times in total.
argyllflyer

26 Sep 2018 06:45

World Championships week - TT today.
argyllflyer

28 Sep 2018 12:05

World Road Race - delayed coverage only for men's elite on Sunday from British Eurosport. Bastards
hayneplane

28 Sep 2018 13:29

Indeed. Home of cycling except when there is snooker going on in China. It's live on the Player but I can't watch that on my TV so it will be the BBC for me.
Alberto Fishwick

28 Sep 2018 15:12

Home of Cycling except when superbikes and a 2nd rate snooker tournament is on?
Are they for real? Its the Worlds!
The director should get sacked for that.
Strawberry_Jams

Re:

28 Sep 2018 16:09

hayneplane wrote:World Road Race - delayed coverage only for men's elite on Sunday from British Eurosport. Bastards

what the f*ck
rick james

Re:

28 Sep 2018 17:36

[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2315888#p2315888]hayneplane[/url]"]World Road Race - delayed coverage only for men's elite on Sunday from British Eurosport. Bastards[/quote]

BBC have the rights for the UK. Cycling is a priority but unfortunately ES can't show live race in UK. Covering for ES International.
BriSmithy
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing