Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

06 Jun 2014 07:48

Seems this interview on BBC Breakfast is a launch of a PR campaign from and for Brad! That diddy sports presenter is now banging on about how terrible it is and saying things like how Brad 'should just do the British leg of the Le Tour'! Errrrr... don't think he quite grasps cycling does the little man with the big head!
Honest Gov... It was the power of Grayskull!!
User avatar He-manuelle Sella

06 Jun 2014 07:53

Shameful, this will undoubtedly come back to bite Froome, Cound and DB. Bertie, Tinkoff and Riis must be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

Well with the Dauphine and TDS next week things can still change I suppose...
webvan

06 Jun 2014 07:53

He-manuelle Sella wrote:Seems this interview on BBC Breakfast is a launch of a PR campaign from and for Brad! That diddy sports presenter is now banging on about how terrible it is and saying things like how Brad 'should just do the British leg of the Le Tour'! Errrrr... don't think he quite grasps cycling does the little man with the big head!

there should be a riot by now. the sir out and the kenyan grown by monkeys and lions is the leader. wtf is happening british people?
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:00

Loose Google Translation of http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Tour/140606_Wiggins_geen_Tour

Former Tour winner Bradley Wiggins is himself convinced that he is not allowed to go to the Sky Tour. "I will not ride the Tour unless Froome gets injured in the Dauphine. If I ever want to ride a Tour de France, I can not stay with Sky."

Wiggins was yesterday shaking the hand of his queen at a party of the British Embassy in Paris. However much reason to celebrate, the former Tour winner not. "As the cards are now, I do not ride the Tour de France," he says in L'equipe.

"In recent weeks it has become clear. Unless Froome (photo) something happens in the Dauphine, I will tour not drive. Only if Froome was harmed, could I still count as servant Richie Porte. If another rider yet fail, I will even can not take it. "that place

"I was, however, willing to settle in the role of helper. Sorry I did me the service of Froome. Hundred percent that was also agreed that after the World Cup last year. Recent weeks, however, was conspicuously silent., I was not invited for altitude training. then you know what time it is. "

"I am very sorry that I can not ride the Tour. Perhaps it would be my last Tour de France have been. If I ever have a tour to drive, it will not be for Sky., I've already spoken to Orica-Green Edge, but really concrete is not. "

"I concentrate now on the slopes with a view to the Olympics, but I'll miss the Tour."

So even if Porte is injured or can't deliver he wouldn't be allowed on the team? It must be in Froome's new contract that he can veto the team members if not DB/Murdoch wouldn't have allowed what looks like a massive PR disaster in the making even things go to plan, and if Froome messes up, there will be no end to it...
webvan

06 Jun 2014 08:02

jens_attacks wrote:there should be a riot by now. the sir out and the kenyan grown by monkeys and lions is the leader. wtf is happening british people?

Just popped out now and it's already going crazy out there... people are burning effigies of ET and stamping on burning Kenyan flags!

Honest Gov... It was the power of Grayskull!!
User avatar He-manuelle Sella

06 Jun 2014 08:09

i think it's an attack at the heart of the british royal system to be honest. brailsford didn't just betrayed a noble, a sir but the queen herself too.

i think if sir wiggo wins suisse(and especially if froome loses dauphine)brailsford will be under immense pressure. his head might be in danger
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:11

Horrible decision,Froome is my curent favorite rider but Wiggo deserved his place in the team.**** that stupid Brailsford.It looks like Brad we''ll have a aussie accent next year.
User avatar MBotero

06 Jun 2014 08:14

maybe it would make sense if brad was shiit. but he proved in cali that he's definitely back at one of his best levels. and also the cobbles stage would have been perfect for his help. i like froomey too a lot but this doesn't make any sense, i know too that he will bury wiggo in the mountains anyway. it's more like humiliation to be honest
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:19

I can't believe it! I don't see why Froome doesn't just say something like 'yeah, it be great to have wiggo in the tour team, we can work great together' he could make a massive difference to the team. Whilst I like Froomes racing and his personality much more than Wiggins who is very arrogant I really feel he has messed this up. It's bad for his publicity and his racing.
David Walsh:
We're 3 years into the Froome story. At the 3 year point into my investigation into Armstrong I had 6 people in his team who told me he doped.
I haven't had one person who has given me anything to go on... I certainly believe his claims.
User avatar Ruby United

06 Jun 2014 08:19

Maybe Froome just can't get past that Vuelta 2011 loss and wants some revenge,at least thats my guess.The show at TDF 2012 give me that impresion.
User avatar MBotero

06 Jun 2014 08:21

LaFlorecita wrote:Hilarious. Froome is downright scared of him it seems.

Feel a bit sorry for Sir Brad.

I suspect you mistake fear for contempt.
Pack Fodder

06 Jun 2014 08:22

Dazed and Confused wrote:Laughable development.

Man, we have a lot of weakness at the top of the peloton today.

And Brailsford is starting to look like a puppet.

It does not seem particularly weak for Froome to have this much power in the team. It appears petty, but not weak.
Pack Fodder

06 Jun 2014 08:23

As much as I hate Wiggins,this is serious sh:t. :mad: Its ridiculous how these 3 idiots met themselfs in one team lol:o
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:23

Hard for Brailsford to spin this in his and Froome's favour. He's opted for a team bus that is tranquilo over one that contains the 9 best riders but explaining that without slagging off Wiggins wont be easy, especially to the many additional non-cycling journalists that will be at all the press conferences in Yorkshire and will set the agenda in the mainstream media. Its a PR own goal for the domestic market at least.
Swifty's Cakes

06 Jun 2014 08:24

He-manuelle Sella wrote:Hi Bradley! :)

That's not Bradley, he would fit in far more swear words than that.
User avatar Bernie's eyesore

06 Jun 2014 08:25

I hope Wiggins now wins Suisse :) and goes on to have a good rest of the year.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:27

Swifty's Cakes wrote:Hard for Brailsford to spin this in his and Froome's favour. He's opted for a team bus that is tranquilo over one that contains the 9 best riders but explaining that without slagging off Wiggins wont be easy, especially to the many additional non-cycling journalists that will be at all the press conferences in Yorkshire and will set the agenda in the mainstream media. Its a PR own goal for the domestic market at least.

Oh, it will be easy. I can imagine it already:

Brailsford: 'We had to do what was best for the team and Chris....'
David Walsh:
We're 3 years into the Froome story. At the 3 year point into my investigation into Armstrong I had 6 people in his team who told me he doped.
I haven't had one person who has given me anything to go on... I certainly believe his claims.
User avatar Ruby United

06 Jun 2014 08:28

Pack Fodder wrote:It does not seem particularly weak for Froome to have this much power in the team. It appears petty, but not weak.

nah, it demonstrates weakness on the road. Thats the point. A real leader would use this as an opportunity, not exercise external leverage to remove a perceived challenger.

Very weak indeed.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

06 Jun 2014 08:32

Best case scenario; wiggo wins suisse, vuelta and possibly worlds tt and then leaves sky and has an amazing 2015 as leader of oge or a team of the sorts and makes Brailsford cry:)
David Walsh:
User avatar Ruby United

06 Jun 2014 08:43

best case scenario:wiggo wins suisse, froome gets beaten by contador in dauphine. braislford has to put wiggo on the line-up for tour
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing