Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Sep 2016 08:53

huge wrote:Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

And I'm very very far from being a Wiggins' fan!


No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.
Last edited by movingtarget on 07 Sep 2016 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,212
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

07 Sep 2016 09:02

samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,731
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

07 Sep 2016 19:04

Cycling Plus @cyclingplus
Sir Bradley is looking for the next Bradley! http://buff.ly/2cnShs6

i wonder , when he finds him, he will force to change his name to Wiggins? so the legend goes on...
Amnes2015
Junior Member
 
Posts: 148
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 16:23

Re: Re:

08 Sep 2016 05:00

movingtarget wrote:
huge wrote:Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

And I'm very very far from being a Wiggins' fan!


No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.

With three TDF wins, Froome is getting close to the absolute greats of the sport. Wigans may have been more competitive on other fronts, but Froome has won the most prestigious race there is more often than all but Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain (and Armstrong according to some).

Barring clinic issues, Froome will be remembered for longer.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,795
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

08 Sep 2016 12:27

Froome has won the most prestigious race there is more often than all but Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain (and Armstrong according to some).


And I guess if you're including Armstrong on that list you should also mention Contador as well. . .
RownhamHill
Member
 
Posts: 985
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

Re: Re:

08 Sep 2016 12:40

42x16ss wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
huge wrote:Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

And I'm very very far from being a Wiggins' fan!


No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.

With three TDF wins, Froome is getting close to the absolute greats of the sport. Wigans may have been more competitive on other fronts, but Froome has won the most prestigious race there is more often than all but Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain (and Armstrong according to some).

Barring clinic issues, Froome will be remembered for longer.


He hasn't won it more often than the other 3 time winners.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,070
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re: Re:

08 Sep 2016 14:21

42x16ss wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
huge wrote:Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

And I'm very very far from being a Wiggins' fan!


No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.

With three TDF wins, Froome is getting close to the absolute greats of the sport. Wigans may have been more competitive on other fronts, but Froome has won the most prestigious race there is more often than all but Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain (and Armstrong according to some).

Barring clinic issues, Froome will be remembered for longer.


Froome will outside of Britain, but he needs wins in the other GTs, preferably both to be mentioned along with those other guys.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,305
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

08 Sep 2016 14:28

Cavendish and Froome are both more successful as cyclists than Wiggins imho
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,668
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

09 Sep 2016 03:13

As others have mentioned, Wiggins will be remembered for his versatility. Yes, Froome worked for him in in 2012, but he still put nearly 2 minutes into Froomey in the TTs. His 2012 season was incredible. I don't think that Wiggins' legacy will exceed Froome's but that's alright, he did more than enough.
Durden93
Member
 
Posts: 455
Joined: 06 Sep 2016 19:16

09 Sep 2016 10:03

I am kind of keen for it to be over though, the hype, the whinging and the overall character of the guy has pushed me to have enough. Pretty good cyclist though!
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

09 Sep 2016 14:34

Why is he riding Tour of Britain? Riding around 40 odd minutes down is mostly embarrassing!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,090
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

Re:

09 Sep 2016 15:02

Carols wrote:Why is he riding Tour of Britain? Riding around 40 odd minutes down is mostly embarrassing!


listen to the roar from the crowd
he´s there for the people, not to race for the win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UJrlbPmDA
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,302
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

10 Sep 2016 08:01

It's basically a last lap of Britain for the country's most popular cyclist after a pretty successful career. He said he could have just retired after Rio but why not show up for one last road race. TBH, he is looking pretty overweight so must have enjoyed celebrating the last gold medal. Will be interesting to see if he can put in a performance in the TT.
dastott
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 Jul 2012 00:23

Re:

10 Sep 2016 20:33

dastott wrote:It's basically a last lap of Britain for the country's most popular cyclist after a pretty successful career. He said he could have just retired after Rio but why not show up for one last road race. TBH, he is looking pretty overweight so must have enjoyed celebrating the last gold medal. Will be interesting to see if he can put in a performance in the TT.


Not a great TT, I thought he and cav where going to ride the madison in the WC jerseys or have they fallen out again
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,688
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Re:

10 Sep 2016 23:22

del1962 wrote:
dastott wrote:It's basically a last lap of Britain for the country's most popular cyclist after a pretty successful career. He said he could have just retired after Rio but why not show up for one last road race. TBH, he is looking pretty overweight so must have enjoyed celebrating the last gold medal. Will be interesting to see if he can put in a performance in the TT.


Not a great TT, I thought he and cav where going to ride the madison in the WC jerseys or have they fallen out again


Yes he (and Cavendish) are supposed to ride some six day races - London and Ghent, I don't know about others.

As for the TT, he clearly wasn't trying - this is him "celebrating" a provisional 6th place:

Image
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,371
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

10 Sep 2016 23:32

292 pages without anyone being a fan, suppose. This is RR forum, so I can't imagine Wiggins having a single fan.
User avatar fantomas
Member
 
Posts: 406
Joined: 02 Jul 2013 22:34

11 Sep 2016 00:29

OK, Wiggins is vulnerable to his demons, but he is one incredible athlete, with not many who've stated their goals and delivered with such consistency.

Lifelong fan!
elfed68
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

11 Sep 2016 08:06

Sadly, the TT was another parade lap on a road bike and normal helmet, albeit in a skin suit. Was taking it very gingerly on the wet corners. Was hoping for one last trademark TT performance in his last ROAD race before retirement.
dastott
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 Jul 2012 00:23

11 Sep 2016 18:50

Thanks for everything Sir Bradley, you bought cycling to the masses and achieved many firsts for a British rider. Have a great winter and a long and happy retirement.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,940
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re:

11 Sep 2016 21:27

fantomas wrote:292 pages without anyone being a fan, suppose. This is RR forum, so I can't imagine Wiggins having a single fan.


A more or less alcoholic guy winning x numbers of olympics golds, the tour and going for Roubaix making the top ten (or so, good enough for me).

I'm not going in a Wiggins shirt, nor am I in a Contador shirt for that sake - but the lack of respect for this guy is frankly incredible.

I'm not afraid of calling myself a fan, and don't underestimate the impact he had to drive cycling into Britain at his point.

He put on 12 Kgs before Rio from last year by his own admission, why anyone thought he would be competitive in ToB this year is beyond me.

You guys with the attitude can take it somewhere else, this guy was always the real goods. And if you look at interviews a real lover of the sport, track or road. He's awesome.
Thepirateisgood
Junior Member
 
Posts: 206
Joined: 20 Feb 2016 02:38

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baldinger, Cance > TheRest, Carols, DNP-Old, Flamin, GenericBoonenFan, Gigs_98, Hakkapelit, Laplaz, Sestriere, Stella0596, tobydawq, UselessToo, valentius borealis, WKA311, Zinoviev Letter and 92 guests

Back to top