Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Jun 2013 21:01

martinvickers wrote:Take a lot of neck for a lad from belgium to complain about some kid from Africa...

Wiggins appears to have a lot of neck. And a knighthood. :D
After all I've done for British Cycling, all the Olympic medals, world championships, the first British TdF win, they just toss me out for some guy who doesn't even know the words to a single Paul Weller song. :p
Beech Mtn

03 Jun 2013 21:02

i'm surprised Robert Millar says in his blog

Robert Millar (cyclingnews.com, 3/6/13): <<it seems that despite following head coach Tim Kerrison's menu for success like he did previously, this time around he hasn't been hitting the numbers>>

because ever since the beginning of this season the word was more like this:
William Fotheringham(guardian.co.uk, 29/4/13): <<The Tour de France winner clearly believes his form is good enough to win the Giro: in fact his much-favoured "numbers" are apparently telling him that he is in even better form than when he dominated last year's Tour. "Based on what people saw in [the Giro del] Trentino and the training we've been doing in the last couple of weeks, I think I'm better than I was going into the Tour last year," he said.>>

has he just realized he was comparing them with the wrong year's number?
anybody knows?
_nm___

03 Jun 2013 21:07

maxmartin wrote:I think W burned that bridge when he transferred from Garmin to SKY

Brailford signed a nice check to dose some water on the fire
pastronef

03 Jun 2013 21:12

pastronef wrote:Brailford signed a nice check to dose some water on the fire

After threatening to sue Slipstream if the team tried to keep Wiggums to the contract he signed.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

03 Jun 2013 21:13

pastronef wrote:Brailford signed a nice check to dose some water on the fire

but psychologically JV might still feel hurt, plus they are quite stingy on the money
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

03 Jun 2013 21:15

maxmartin wrote:I think W will sign with SKY assuming next year leadership and British public will be behind him. See this Froom guy can't finish the job. So the pressure on Froom is enormous in this year Tour, if he want to keep SKY leadership,there is no other choice but to win.

If Froome comes up a bit short on this year's course, Wiggums will have a hard time convincing people he would have done better.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

03 Jun 2013 21:16

pastronef wrote:so, where could Wiggo go?

back to Vaughters?
FDJ? :D
Argos?
Cannondale?

I hear there are a couple of openings on Vini Fantini.
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

03 Jun 2013 21:19

BroDeal wrote:If Froome comes up a bit short on this year's course, Wiggums will have a hard time convincing people he would have done better.

general public can be mislead very easily:D, W won last year, F can't get job done this year, so it will be simple math for general population. Of course cycling insiders might think differently
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

03 Jun 2013 21:22

maxmartin wrote:but psychologically JV might still feel hurt, plus they are quite stingy on the money

and anyway they have Dan Martin, Hesjedal, Talansky
pastronef

03 Jun 2013 22:22

Beech Mtn wrote:Wiggins appears to have a lot of neck. And a knighthood. :D
After all I've done for British Cycling, all the Olympic medals, world championships, the first British TdF win, they just toss me out for some guy who doesn't even know the words to a single Paul Weller song. :p

Thanks; I've now got Wild Wood stuck in my head.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

03 Jun 2013 23:36

martinvickers wrote:Take a lot of neck for a lad from belgium to complain about some kid from Africa...

Maybe the Trek squad?
User avatar Boeing

04 Jun 2013 04:58

I think Wiggo will move on for sure. The only way he might stay is if Froome has a horrible Tour which is unlikely otherwise Froome and his mate Richie will stay and Wiggins will take off. Yates and Sutton not around for Wiggins anymore. The main difficulty will be who will pay him the dollars he demands and which of the bigger teams has an opening for a team leader ? If Evans was retiring at the end of this year possibly BMC although TJVG might have something to say about that. Uran going to Omega. Lotto can't afford him. Cannondale unlikely. The only other possibility is probably Garmin which is also unlikely. So Wiggo might be stuck and not liking it unless he takes a pay cut to get out for his psychological health. But if Froome wins the Tour and Porte also does well and considering the depth of their squad, will Sky want Wiggins ?
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 05:00

BroDeal wrote:I hear there are a couple of openings on Vini Fantini.

Maybe for sponsors as well.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 05:53

Since the theory of Wiggo leaving Sky is being commented around- I honestly cannot grasp the thought of him leaving the team behind his success & quite frankly the one who put hm in road cycling history- So for him to just walk away due to a season gone wrong is just childish-of course not considering his big arrogant ego-which is what is currently the factor keeping off reality. Perhaps Brailsford had enough of him-perhaps is a master plan of both to quietly retire-who knows..
What we already know is the Garmin option won't happen in this lifetime-that bridge is burnt to the ground without any repairing option.

So....... what about B.M.C. or O.R.I.C.A. :D
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 05:57

hfer07 wrote:Since the theory of Wiggo leaving Sky is being commented around- I honestly cannot grasp the thought of him leaving the team behind his success & quite frankly the one who put hm in road cycling history- So for him to just walk away due to a season gone wrong is just childish-of course not considering his big arrogant ego-which is what is currently the factor keeping off reality. Perhaps Brailsford had enough of him-perhaps is a master plan of both to quietly retire-who knows..
What we already know is the Garmin option won't happen in this lifetime-that bridge is burnt to the ground without any repairing option.

So....... what about B.M.C. or O.R.I.C.A. :D

Froom seems ten times more calculated than Wiggins. Wiggins was forced to leave SKY, because Froom won't even consider shared leadership option. I think Robert's blog explained very clearly. ORICA has no GC support, so BMC it is. Wiggins can just fill in the budget reserved for Evans.
User avatar maxmartin

04 Jun 2013 06:09

hfer07 wrote:So....... what about B.M.C. or O.R.I.C.A. :D

Isn't BMC where everyone goes to underperform? Sounds like Wiggums kind of place.
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 07:35

If that's true about Froome demanding last year that Wiggins can't be in the tour team i clearly underestimated Froome.

I never thought he had it in him. And now i'm 100% (if not already) sure that Froome dropped him last year to show who is the strongest and not for any other reason.

Good stuff Froome.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 08:40

Miburo wrote:If that's true about Froome demanding last year that Wiggins can't be in the tour team i clearly underestimated Froome.

I never thought he had it in him. And now i'm 100% (if not already) sure that Froome dropped him last year to show who is the strongest and not for any other reason.

Good stuff Froome.

If he had dropped him and kept going, the Tour would have been a much more interesting race.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 08:47

maxmartin wrote:Froom seems ten times more calculated than Wiggins. Wiggins was forced to leave SKY, because Froom won't even consider shared leadership option. I think Robert's blog explained very clearly. ORICA has no GC support, so BMC it is. Wiggins can just fill in the budget reserved for Evans.

Good in theory as I am predicting Gilbert will leave BMC when his contract is up so more dollars will be freed up. Hushovd may not get re-signed unless he can find some results. Evans probably one more year at best which means unless TJVG starts hitting podiums BMC will be on the lookout for another GC rider. BMC is a pretty skinny GT squad for Wiggins though. They will at least have to buy some climbers to support Wiggins. A Froome fail may see Wiggo staying put if Sky want him. Alternative is BMC stick with TJVG and look to build a team around him instead, being the only other quality GT rider apart from Evans.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2013 16:12

I also don't think that wiggins will dare to leave sky. Sky put him in a cycling history.

Where's he's going? Garmin? He'd better bend backward kiss JV's *** to get JV to take him back. Astana? another froome dejavu all over. And not to mention squeaky wheel birdsong will squeak until his wheel falls of. That's a lot harder to deal with than Froome. :D BMC? Didn't see evans rubbing elbow with him and with TVG on the raise, he's going to be a nasty thorns on wiggins's *blip blip*. QSPS? Uran will show him how to climb mountain like a columbian goat. Orica? Might as well learn how to be a lead out man for Gossy. Saxo? forget about it. Radioshack? hmm ..maybe. He and andy can go to wet descent summer camp together, holding hand, and chanting...kumbaaaayaaaaa my loooorddd.. kumbaaayaaaaa...:D
User avatar Jelantik

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing