Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Jun 2013 08:04

the asian wrote:If he's leaving SKY at the end of the year, he should return to the Track, the place he belongs.

the problem is, that the individual pursuit has been cut from the Olympics (as far as I remember anyway) so it would hardly be worthwhile to make such a big transition from road to track to only win the team pursuit. not sure there's any other events that wiggins could do that would suit him either

i'd rather see him angry and giving chris froome a kicking anyway. an angry brad attacking in the mountains? now I think that would certainly want to be around to see that
nick101

16 Jun 2013 08:05

A case of the wheel turning, eh... but it doesn't really look like Sky are kicking him out, at this point it seems it's a bit of a dead-end. Things could change quickly, again, if Froome fails to deliver at the TDF over three weeks.
webvan

16 Jun 2013 08:11

I think we'll have to wait a while to see what the truth of the matter is behind these rumours, but I'm not expecting him to stay at Sky. The future looks brighter with Froome, and I can't envisage Wiggins wanting to play second fiddle.
DirtyDennis

16 Jun 2013 10:13

the asian wrote:If he's leaving SKY at the end of the year, he should return to the Track, the place he belongs.

All the money and fame that used to be in track racing years ago is now in road racing. Wiggins won't go back. The whole problem stems from having two GC riders of similar quality. I don't think Wiggins is that worried about winning the Tour again. I think if he won the Giro or Vuelta he would be happy. It's all about rivalry and Wiggins seems to have the bigger ego. Removing two of his biggest supporters in Sutton and Yates was the beginning of Wiggins problems.

I would like to see Wiggo have another shot at the Giro but it seems Porte may now be destined for that role. If he is feeling too unloved at Sky he will leave which will make things much easier for the team even though the team is much stronger with him in it. But it seems he is uneasy about playing a support role and the Tour would have been fascinating if Wiggo had found some form. If Froome win the Tour I think Wiggins will move on maybe buy out the last year of his contract if that is possible and if he can find a suitable team.
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 12:10

wirral wrote:Wiggins needs to forget about Grand Tours. He has always stated he does not enjoy them. He should change his focus on to stage races with 5 to 8 stages including a TT, Suisse, Basque Country, Algarve and perhaps even targetting the Tour of Beijing.

Then having complete the circular remorph by getting selected for the individual pursuit at the 2016 Olympics.

Nobody cares about week-long stage races though. Not even the riders - not really. It's just prep for bigger races.

If he gives up on Grand Tours I think he might put the weight back on and try his hand at Paris-Roubaix again. He's always loved it, said even this season he would still like to have a go at it one day. I remember in the early/mid 2000s the Eurosport TV commentator David Duffield spoke of having a photograph which Wiggins had signed for him with the caption "2008 Paris-Roubaix winner". It was an aim of his way before the Tour even seemed possible.

I'm not saying he'd win it or even contend and I don't know whether it's a job for Sky or another team, but way more likely he tries for this than winning the Basque Country.
Cult Classics

16 Jun 2013 18:37

I think what happens to Wiggins heavily depends on outcome of the this years Tour.

If Froome fails then he may have opportunity to regain team leaders position.

If Froome succeeds he may even finish his career in year or two.
User avatar personal

21 Jun 2013 11:38

JRanton

21 Jun 2013 11:44

Not surprised at all. He won't beat Froome and Contador unless theres about 150km of TT.

He did make a lot of sacrifices to get himself into top shape last year and I always questioned whether he had the motivation and could do all that again. Targeting some of the classics is a good step now and he could add a big win or two as well as Worlds TT.

Targeting the Tour of Britain will also keep his profile up amongst the part-time bandwagon followers in this country.
User avatar Pricey_sky

21 Jun 2013 11:49

The end of the one-trick pony.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

21 Jun 2013 11:51

Pricey_sky wrote:Not surprised at all. He won't beat Froome and Contador unless theres about 150km of TT.

He did make a lot of sacrifices to get himself into top shape last year and I always questioned whether he had the motivation and could do all that again. Targeting some of the classics is a good step now and he could add a big win or two as well as Worlds TT.

Targeting the Tour of Britain will also keep his profile up amongst the part-time bandwagon followers in this country.

Tour of britain, WCTT, a move to the clsssics squad for a couple of years, and swansong in rio's velodrome. That would be my guess
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.
User avatar martinvickers

21 Jun 2013 11:53

A very talented bike rider. But a bike racer? Absolutely not.
User avatar One Man Grupetto

21 Jun 2013 11:53

martinvickers wrote:Tour of britain, WCTT, a move to the clsssics squad for a couple of years, and swansong in rio's velodrome. That would be my guess

Completely agree. It all points to a last hurrah in Rio. He got a lot of attention from his gold in London and now tops the British medal table in terms of medals won IIRC, he will love the ego boost of adding to that.
User avatar Pricey_sky

21 Jun 2013 11:57

He did make a lot of sacrifices to get himself into top shape last year

Indeed. Reminds me of reading an article in May of last year before the Tour in which Riis said "I tip my hat for Wiggins and his TdF preparations". Remember silently thinking to myself, "Wow, if Bjarne says that .."
Carstenbf

21 Jun 2013 12:08

cineteq wrote:The end of the one-trick pony.

a man who won the tour and a host of olympic track golds is a one trick pony?
del1962
Veteran

21 Jun 2013 12:13

Limited fighting spirit in the man, I would say.

Anyway, perhaps he can put Sky on the map in the classics.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

21 Jun 2013 12:37

Kind of makes sense, at the end of the day what's the point of going for multiple tour wins? Because you can I suppose, but in his case the stars aligned last year and he's already 33. What's a bit sad is that the 2012 TDF seems like a long time ago already and it was spoilt for him to some extent by that needless showboating by Froome. Still what he says about Froome in that interview is pretty gracious and he doesn't come out as being bitter at all. Good for him. But he does put a little pressure on him with "(Froome is) the team leader; and if he wins the Tour, that continues through to next year", so if he doesn't, well...

Tour of Poland, Tour of Britain and TT at the Worlds would certainly "save" his season.

Actually I just looked up the Tour of Poland profile http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-pologne/ and it looks like they have a very decent route this year with Madonna di Campigli and the Passo Pordoi ... and a 37k ITT on the last day. Nibali will be there too, should be interesting and help with TDF withdrawal ;-)
webvan

21 Jun 2013 12:42

Dazed and Confused wrote:Limited fighting spirit in the man, I would say.

Anyway, perhaps he can put Sky on the map in the classics.

Oh sure, I can really see him sticking it to Boonen, Cancellara and Sagan on the cobbles. Come on...
JRanton

21 Jun 2013 12:45

He's also riding the US Pro Challenge in Colorado. Bit of a mini-world tour for Wiggo. Keeping up appearances.
JRanton

21 Jun 2013 13:04

I think it's understandable. Had he been skys only tour contender I think he would have found motivation for the teams sake.

Still he is in his best years physically IMHO, but the problem is finding motivation. And when he has fulfilled his dream, it's only natural that he sees things in a new light. Having kids and having to be away from them for long periods I imagine is something that is very difficult.

Does anyone know when his contract expires?
User avatar ToreBear

21 Jun 2013 13:08

ToreBear wrote:I think it's understandable. Had he been skys only tour contender I think he would have found motivation for the teams sake.

Still he is in his best years physically IMHO, but the problem is finding motivation. And when he has fulfilled his dream, it's only natural that he sees things in a new light. Having kids and having to be away from them for long periods I imagine is something that is very difficult.

Does anyone know when his contract expires?

I'm almost certain it finishes at the end of 2014
nick101

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing