Log in:  

Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Jun 2013 13:18

nick101 wrote:I'm almost certain it finishes at the end of 2014


OK thanks. A go at PR for him sounds plausible. Might even get top ten.
User avatar ToreBear
Member
 
Posts: 1,712
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

21 Jun 2013 13:22

ToreBear wrote:I think it's understandable. Had he been skys only tour contender I think he would have found motivation for the teams sake.

Still he is in his best years physically IMHO, but the problem is finding motivation. And when he has fulfilled his dream, it's only natural that he sees things in a new light. Having kids and having to be away from them for long periods I imagine is something that is very difficult.

Does anyone know when his contract expires?


It's understandable but the ''best numbers ever'' nonsense pre-Giro and the Giro-Tour double claim just makes him look silly. Also, missing the pre-Giro altitude camp is pretty disrespectful to the race and more importantly to his teammates. It just makes the decision by Sky to make both Uran and Henao wait for him look even more ridiculous. Not saying it effected the overall result in the end, because it didn't, but they weren't to know that at the time.
JRanton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,875
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 21:14

21 Jun 2013 13:32

JRanton wrote:Oh sure, I can really see him sticking it to Boonen, Cancellara and Sagan on the cobbles. Come on...


Probably wouldn't win however can not do any worse than Sky did this classics season. Very quick on the flat (one of the most powerful actually) and has decent stamina so top 10 would not be out of reach.
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,911
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

21 Jun 2013 13:39

I'm just happy that it is confirmed that he won't be riding the Vuelta.
User avatar wwabbit
Member
 
Posts: 1,133
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 13:38

21 Jun 2013 13:42

cineteq wrote:The end of the one-trick pony.


That must the famous (and dare I say, pretty easy) 'winning multiple world and olympic titles on the track, before reinventing yourself as a stage racer, and winning multiple stage GCs, podiuming GTs, including winning the Tour, oh yeah and winning an olympic TT title while you're at it' trick?
RownhamHill
Member
 
Posts: 985
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

21 Jun 2013 13:44

ToreBear wrote:Still he is in his best years physically IMHO.
You serious? The guy is how old? 33?

Nah.

Above thirty normally the decline follows, see Merckx, Hinault. The more amazing last years and 2009/2011 performances of the Wiggo were.
Pricey_sky wrote:Probably wouldn't win however can not do any worse than Sky did this classics season. Very quick on the flat (one of the most powerful actually) and has decent stamina so top 10 would not be out of reach.
You need a budt on Roubaix matey.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,222
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 15:07
Location: Netherlands

21 Jun 2013 13:45

Wiggins has really done something to get to you all hasn't he? Chill out folks, life's too short.
simoni
Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 11 Mar 2010 20:45

21 Jun 2013 13:47

More to the point, he's apparently talking about doing altitude training in Colorado, for a crack at the Tour of Britain and the WC TT, which at first glance seems a little disproportionate. But interestingly he talks in the interview of targeting the 'World Championships' - we're just assuming that's the TT only.

- So does anyone think he's might be considering having a bit of a pop in the road race?
- What are the chances of any success?
- How funny would it be on this forum it be if he pulled that off?

I'm not suggesting he should or could target the road race, just idly speculating.
RownhamHill
Member
 
Posts: 985
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

21 Jun 2013 13:49

RownhamHill wrote:More to the point, he's apparently talking about doing altitude training in Colorado, for a crack at the Tour of Britain and the WC TT, which at first glance seems a little disproportionate. But interestingly he talks in the interview of targeting the 'World Championships' - we're just assuming that's the TT only.

- So does anyone think he's might be considering having a bit of a pop in the road race?
- What are the chances of any success?
- How funny would it be on this forum it be if he pulled that off?

I'm not suggesting he should or could target the road race, just idly speculating.


He will target the TT then maybe ride in the road race as support of whoever GB has in mind for the race.
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,911
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

21 Jun 2013 13:54

Wiggins can please himself and it's good to see that the Tour is not the be all for everyone. Not sure if Wiggins can win another grand our if he attempts one but most riders would be happy to have his results against their name.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,047
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

21 Jun 2013 13:58

RownhamHill wrote:More to the point, he's apparently talking about doing altitude training in Colorado, for a crack at the Tour of Britain and the WC TT, which at first glance seems a little disproportionate. But interestingly he talks in the interview of targeting the 'World Championships' - we're just assuming that's the TT only.

- So does anyone think he's might be considering having a bit of a pop in the road race?
- What are the chances of any success?
- How funny would it be on this forum it be if he pulled that off?

I'm not suggesting he should or could target the road race, just idly speculating.
Why not the double? Two trainingblocks should do it, given his numbers pre - Giro were better than last years.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,222
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 15:07
Location: Netherlands

21 Jun 2013 14:18

well one thing that the article is right, Wiggins is opening it up his chance to stay with sky. Otherwise, sky might as well just show him his diva *** the door. :D It's nonsense to think that he would dare to move to other team. They made him superman, none can do that to him. Besides he isn't 27. He is 33.
User avatar Jelantik
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,566
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 18:30

21 Jun 2013 14:23

I'm quite pleased he's being honest with himself & the world about it-because Its rather more harmful to the image he's got left to keep lying & amounting loads of BS to hide the reality than simply have the character to realize he's just not of truly champion's breed-He seized the only one chance he had to win the Tour & accomplished that quite well, in addition to other races where he raised British cycling level around the globe-so in that perspective Wiggo should be satisfied & would be wise to retire now with his head high than to be disposed by SKY like a left over....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,629
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

21 Jun 2013 14:28

Hopefully we will see Mr. Wiggins taking another run at the
biggest and most respected sporting stage in the world....
the Olympics. If he was to compete in his fifth consecutive
Olympic Games and win any medal, which would be his
eighth, it would place him amongst a very, very select few
of the most legendary and accomplished sports-persons of
all-time. Of course, it will be extremely difficult to earn a
spot on the GBR&NI Olympic cycling team for the 2016 Rio
Games, but here's hoping he does.
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,549
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

21 Jun 2013 15:01

oldcrank wrote:Hopefully we will see Mr. Wiggins taking another run at the
biggest and most respected sporting stage in the world....
the Olympics. If he was to compete in his fifth consecutive
Olympic Games and win any medal, which would be his
eighth, it would place him amongst a very, very select few
of the most legendary and accomplished sports-persons of
all-time. Of course, it will be extremely difficult to earn a
spot on the GBR&NI Olympic cycling team for the 2016 Rio
Games, but here's hoping he does.


I do remember reading he may go back to the track for the team pursuit. Cav has also made similar statements.
williamp78
Member
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 14 Nov 2011 23:11

21 Jun 2013 15:33

Schedule is exactly what I heard a few weeks back. Don't expect to see him at Sky next year, but if he is, he won't be riding in any races with Froome ever again.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,916
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 20:21

21 Jun 2013 15:36

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Schedule is exactly what I heard a few weeks back. Don't expect to see him at Sky next year, but if he is, he won't be riding in any races with Froome ever again.


Did a little bird tell you :)
Cyivel
Member
 
Posts: 1,885
Joined: 05 Aug 2012 22:46

21 Jun 2013 15:44

JRanton wrote:Oh sure, I can really see him sticking it to Boonen, Cancellara and Sagan on the cobbles. Come on...


seriously, I think he can get up there in P-R.

No chance in RVV.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,544
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Jun 2013 16:49

JRanton wrote:He's also riding the US Pro Challenge in Colorado. Bit of a mini-world tour for Wiggo. Keeping up appearances.


I look forward to seeing him dom for Dombro. :D
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

21 Jun 2013 16:50

Dazed and Confused wrote:Limited fighting spirit in the man, I would say.

Anyway, perhaps he can put Sky on the map in the classics.


There are a lot of guys I can think of that could put Sky on the map in the classics. Wiggins doesn't make the top 100 of those guys.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asero831, burning, dusty red roads, Google [Bot] and 63 guests

Back to top