Register

Wiggins Discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

27 Jun 2014 16:48

Business is business.
User avatar stutue

27 Jun 2014 17:16

stutue wrote:Business is business.

Sometimes, business isn't just business it can become highly personal. FWIW

But i suppose you knew that.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

27 Jun 2014 17:30

I don't think it is with Brailsford. His team choices on the track were ruthless!
User avatar stutue

27 Jun 2014 17:30

postmanhat wrote:Reluctantly, in their defence I, expect Stannard would have been be riding, and Kennaugh is presumably ill? But completely agree about the exclusion of Wiggo

The whole thing has been a PR disaster for Sky and Froome. Will take a bit of a shine off The UK Tour for many I think

Remember going to see the Brighton stage in 1994. Trying to pick out Boardman and Yates. 20 years later, and this celebration of British cycling looks like having only two more UK riders, and that's only if include Froome as British.

Kennaugh was indeed ill. He just doesn't have the form, otherwise he would have been included of that I have no doubt.

Stannard is back on a bike for what 2 weeks now ?

You could make an argument for Swifty, he has been in form, but Bernie as road captain and cobbles guy wins the final place without much argument from me.

Then its just Josh Ed and Luke Rowe (well an JTL) both need a bit more development before coming to le Tour.

Millar, Cav, Thomas (and Froome)
Dowsett seems likely

Who knows who OGE may bring, but Adam Yates isn't beyond possibilities.

So there may be a couple more toeing the line yet.
User avatar Catwhoorg

27 Jun 2014 17:33

stutue wrote:I don't think it is with Brailsford. His team choices on the track were ruthless!

Denying Ho the champion, a ride in the Sprint in London.

Of course Kenny went and won gold, so it was a masterful decision. He would have been crucified in the press had he not done so.
User avatar Catwhoorg

27 Jun 2014 17:45

My point was solely this selection for the tdf so "personal" thing comes into play.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

27 Jun 2014 21:02

Jelantik wrote:i second to that. after 2012 showboating, now spat with BW. Now I know why I can't get my finger on this guy as far as to like him. July will be a festivity..:D

It takes two to have a spat, and Wiggins has shown the same characteristic in 2012 TDF, threatening to leave etc, did he not.
bigcog

27 Jun 2014 21:24

Well unlike the ridiculous showboating, he at least had the decency of doing it in private, at the time...can't be bothered to look up how that info got leaked in the end.
webvan

27 Jun 2014 21:37

bigcog wrote:It takes two to have a spat, and Wiggins has shown the same characteristic in 2012 TDF, threatening to leave etc, did he not.

Well Wiggins did win every race he entered that season and Froome barely finished a race. He earn't the right to he outright leader.

Froome's team also made it clear who the leader was and he was plan B. What was he doing trying to upshow his leader?

Idiot.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

27 Jun 2014 22:08

inthepink wrote:I don't believe any other team or leader would leave him out

Contador would think it was Christmas morning if he was offered Wiggins as a domestique. There is plainly no sporting reason to keep him out. It's purely and simply a team harmony/unity decision. Froome wants his men to be his men, and if that means he has Zandio rather than Wiggins, so be it.

To be fair, Contador has been less vindictive about it, but he also has been known to put being surrounded by people he trusts ahead of ability. Not in the sense that he has singled out people he doesn't want (as far as we know), but in the sense that distinctly undertalented mates get picked quite often. You all know who I'm talking about. It's a small part of the reason that Contador has so rarely had a strong team of his own - the one previous time he was on a stupidly strong team, they were Lance's sidekicks, not his. There were of course other, bigger, factors.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

27 Jun 2014 23:59

thehog wrote:Well Wiggins did win every race he entered that season and Froome barely finished a race. He earn't the right to he outright leader.

Froome's team also made it clear who the leader was and he was plan B. What was he doing trying to upshow his leader?

Idiot.

Did I say anything about that ? I won't resort to insults unlike yourself.
bigcog

28 Jun 2014 12:12

Sir Brad and wife with a host of British sports stars at Wimbledon today.
elfed68

28 Jun 2014 15:49

The Hitch wrote:Bad news day for Wiggins.

Number 1 - confirmed not in the Tour team.

Number 2 - Might not even be the world's most famous Wiggins for too much longer.

Vino's Mum wrote:http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17553_9363512,00.html

Big ups, Andrew Wiggins.

del1962 wrote:Did they get his name wrong?

They're referring to Andrew Wiggins being drafted first in the NBA draft.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

28 Jun 2014 15:50

jaylew wrote:They're referring to Andrew Wiggins being drafted first in the NBA draft.

Never heard of him.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

28 Jun 2014 15:53

Zinoviev Letter wrote:To be fair, Contador has been less vindictive about it, but he also has been known to put being surrounded by people he trusts ahead of ability. Not in the sense that he has singled out people he doesn't want (as far as we know), but in the sense that distinctly undertalented mates get picked quite often. You all know who I'm talking about. It's a small part of the reason that Contador has so rarely had a strong team of his own - the one previous time he was on a stupidly strong team, they were Lance's sidekicks, not his. There were of course other, bigger, factors.

I agree with you, except wiggins is no lance. He doesn't have as much as influence like lance. So even if he is in the team, he doesn't make too much waves as lance. Lance did make the team divided, and single out contador. Froome is just a insecure guy. So definitely he is afraid of wiggins.
User avatar Jelantik

28 Jun 2014 15:53

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Never heard of him.

I'm not surprised. 19 year old Canadian kid with crazy athleticism who some think is going to be the next big basketball star. I, however have my doubts.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

28 Jun 2014 22:56

jaylew wrote:I'm not surprised. 19 year old Canadian kid with crazy athleticism who some think is going to be the next big basketball star. I, however have my doubts.

I have hopes about Jabari Parker.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

28 Jun 2014 23:19

jaylew wrote:They're referring to Andrew Wiggins being drafted first in the NBA draft.

Good job for Wiggins that basketball isn't really that popular over here. Well, good for Bradley anyway! :D
User avatar Pricey_sky

28 Jun 2014 23:29

jaylew wrote:I'm not surprised. 19 year old Canadian kid with crazy athleticism who some think is going to be the next big basketball star. I, however have my doubts.

Ah I see this other Wiggins is a guy who plays a minority sport that no one other than tall ppl are really interested in:D
del1962
Veteran

29 Jun 2014 05:37

Pricey_sky wrote:Good job for Wiggins that basketball isn't really that popular over here. Well, good for Bradley anyway! :D

Yeah, do the Brits even play basketball? I know it's somewhat popular in continental Europe and there are a ton of guys in the NBA from there but I've never even heard of a British basketball player.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing