Log in:  

Register

Radioshack-Leopard Trek

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Sep 2013 16:07

Two years ago when this whole disaster started, the team touted itself as being a force to be reckoned with in GT's, with the Schlecks, Klöden, Fuglsang... and Horner. Well just about everything went wrong but two years later RSLT has just about won a GT, with the unlikeliest of all of the above I would say. Irony of ironies.

But despite all that is f'd up with this team, I think in the end the riders really came together as a unit. Mostly they didn't race that way but it is my impression that they felt like a real unit despite everything. And to some extend you could see it in the Vuelta. I wasn't able to watch many stages but from what I saw especially Kiserlovski and Cancellara did great work for Horner, Zubeldia too while he was there, I think Matty Bouché struggled to keep up with the pace, and the others I didn't see much but they are the type of riders that carry out the "unsung" jobs in cycling (Irizar, Popovych, Rast).

It is ironic that a team where the management has given up and is effectively preventing the riders from doing their job (cf. Becca), a group like this can get together and bring the most unlikely guy to (just about) GT victory. It's a great story, afterwards everyone has to decide for themself whether they believe it's true :)

Big respect to the whole team, (all but) winning this despite all odds (I'm talking screwed up management, not Horner)
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

14 Sep 2013 16:16

Good post Christian! I agree, they really do seem to finally have come together as a team this year. And with that the results have finally come through; with Cancellara in the classics, Horner at the Vuelta, etc. I'm very glad that Trek took over sponsorship so they could continue and am looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with their current guys and new signings.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

14 Sep 2013 16:17

Yeah. There was a nice moment after the race when two soigneurs from the team dragged Horner away from the finish, and he kissed them on the cheek, first the one on the right and then the one on the left.
User avatar ciranda
Member
 
Posts: 434
Joined: 25 Jun 2012 16:33

15 Sep 2013 08:35

Come to think of it, it reminds me of Leopard 2011 - the team was already finished and then they went to win Lombardia.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

15 Sep 2013 08:46

ciranda wrote:Yeah. There was a nice moment after the race when two soigneurs from the team dragged Horner away from the finish, and he kissed them on the cheek, first the one on the right and then the one on the left.


Image
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

15 Sep 2013 12:07

If they finally bonded to a real 'team', why did Cancellara just leave the Vuelta to prepare the WC while his team leader had a very good chance to win the Vuelta and could definatly have used some help...
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,266
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

15 Sep 2013 12:11

Billie wrote:If they finally bonded to a real 'team', why did Cancellara just leave the Vuelta to prepare the WC while his team leader had a very good chance to win the Vuelta and could definatly have used some help...


I think Trek went all out to keep him, so they must have given him free reign. If it weren't for him, there wouldn't be a team next year I think. So he calls the shots
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

15 Sep 2013 12:39

Christian wrote:Image


I didn't know that Horner's little-brother was also on the team (guy to the left). :D
User avatar Opalius
Junior Member
 
Posts: 278
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 18:50
Location: Denmark

16 Sep 2013 13:54

Billie wrote:If they finally bonded to a real 'team', why did Cancellara just leave the Vuelta to prepare the WC while his team leader had a very good chance to win the Vuelta and could definatly have used some help...


Horner is confident enough in his abilities to have gone into the Vuelta with belief that he could contend for a podium spot and likely expressed that belief to the team. Cancellar pulling out early should come as no surprise since his desire to win the wcrr has been well known and thus understood within the team. While his presence would of course be a plus, it was understood before hand that he would leave early.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,197
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

16 Sep 2013 14:16

Billie wrote:If they finally bonded to a real 'team', why did Cancellara just leave the Vuelta to prepare the WC while his team leader had a very good chance to win the Vuelta and could definatly have used some help...


Canc actually told Horner 4 months before the Vuelta started he would help Him get the red jersey. Cancellara did a awesome job helping him, during the TTT but also in the mountains. Kept his word.
webbie146
Member
 
Posts: 943
Joined: 17 Oct 2011 09:28

17 Sep 2013 02:14

Christian wrote:Two years ago when this whole disaster started, the team touted itself as being a force to be reckoned with in GT's, with the Schlecks, Klöden, Fuglsang... and Horner. Well just about everything went wrong but two years later RSLT has just about won a GT, with the unlikeliest of all of the above I would say. Irony of ironies.

But despite all that is f'd up with this team, I think in the end the riders really came together as a unit. Mostly they didn't race that way but it is my impression that they felt like a real unit despite everything. And to some extend you could see it in the Vuelta. I wasn't able to watch many stages but from what I saw especially Kiserlovski and Cancellara did great work for Horner, Zubeldia too while he was there, I think Matty Bouché struggled to keep up with the pace, and the others I didn't see much but they are the type of riders that carry out the "unsung" jobs in cycling (Irizar, Popovych, Rast).

It is ironic that a team where the management has given up and is effectively preventing the riders from doing their job (cf. Becca), a group like this can get together and bring the most unlikely guy to (just about) GT victory. It's a great story, afterwards everyone has to decide for themself whether they believe it's true :)

Big respect to the whole team, (all but) winning this despite all odds (I'm talking screwed up management, not Horner)


It's remarkable what athletes can do when it might be their last shot.
Oldman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,841
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 23:58
Location: Great Pacific NW

24 Sep 2013 16:17

Is Trek more or less done signing for 2014, minus Horner's negotiation? I am a little ****ed, seems they let a lot of young talent just walk away. Am I wrong?
stabbin31
New Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 13 Sep 2013 06:27

24 Sep 2013 16:26

stabbin31 wrote:Is Trek more or less done signing for 2014, minus Horner's negotiation? I am a little ****ed, seems they let a lot of young talent just walk away. Am I wrong?


Well the Van Poppels have been rumoured for a long time to sign with Trek but no confirmation has been made. Which makes me wonder if it's not happening at all?

Other riders that have been associated with Trek are Kristof Vandewalle and Kristian Haugaard (Leopard-Trek CT).

Overall I don't think that they let a lot of young talent slip away, as you say. The biggest loss is certainly Tony Gallopin, then George Bennett and Nelson Oliveira are talented but don't seem like huge losses to me. Bakelants is not exactly young talent anymore, but a pity nonetheless.

They have kept their two most promising youngsters with Jungels and Nizzolo. And they have signed almost exclusively young riders, some of them very promising like Arredondo, Zoidl, Felline, Silvestre and possibly the Van Poppels.

So overall I think the team will be much younger next year
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

24 Sep 2013 16:43

Wasn't Nizzolo looking at joining another team? Is it confirmed he is staying with Trek?
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Sep 2013 17:03

Afrank wrote:Wasn't Nizzolo looking at joining another team? Is it confirmed he is staying with Trek?


There has not been an official confirmation but I have read it in some articles. No garantee though!
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

24 Sep 2013 17:11

Christian wrote:Well the Van Poppels have been rumoured for a long time to sign with Trek but no confirmation has been made. Which makes me wonder if it's not happening at all?

Other riders that have been associated with Trek are Kristof Vandewalle and Kristian Haugaard (Leopard-Trek CT).

Overall I don't think that they let a lot of young talent slip away, as you say. The biggest loss is certainly Tony Gallopin, then George Bennett and Nelson Oliveira are talented but don't seem like huge losses to me. Bakelants is not exactly young talent anymore, but a pity nonetheless.

They have kept their two most promising youngsters with Jungels and Nizzolo. And they have signed almost exclusively young riders, some of them very promising like Arredondo, Zoidl, Felline, Silvestre and possibly the Van Poppels.

So overall I think the team will be much younger next year


Makes sense, however from IMO losing Bakelants hurts the most, followed by Bennett and Gallopin. I liked what I saw from Monfort at the Tour as well.

I don't know a lot about the young riders that Trek signed so it is skewing my opinion.

I thought that the Van Poppels and Nizzolo were confirmed?
stabbin31
New Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 13 Sep 2013 06:27

24 Sep 2013 17:48

stabbin31 wrote:I thought that the Van Poppels and Nizzolo were confirmed?


I don't think so, nothing official at least...
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,068
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:46
Location: Sevilla

Re: Radioshack-Leopard Trek

02 Oct 2016 13:28

as we saw Popovich, Cancellara, Schleck (and Ryder) careers ending this year, I wanted to bump this fantastic thread.
it was back in 2011 when the Sky madness still hadnt begun on these pages, and for a while Leopard-Radioshack became a target to throws arrows to.
the merger news was like a bomb!
I enjoyed this thread very much, vitriol here and there, laughs, jokes, accusations, some hate, some love.
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,275
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

04 Oct 2016 02:42

Nice bump. It will give me an excuse to discuss further those Andreas Kloden top ten tour attempts :)
User avatar gregrowlerson
Member
 
Posts: 1,816
Joined: 06 Aug 2010 05:46

Re:

04 Oct 2016 12:30

gregrowlerson wrote:Nice bump. It will give me an excuse to discuss further those Andreas Kloden top ten tour attempts :)
....

Andreas....ah! Are there any riders, with his elegance, on a bike now? Kudos to TREK for their faith in cycling, and reliable bikes.
This Charming Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 17 May 2016 02:46

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 120mmStem, 70kmph, 8472, aarononymous, AICA ribonucleotide, Akuryo, alspacka, alter, archa55, Aristarchus, Asero831, barmaher, Billie, Blobs, bob.a.feet, braider, Bye Bye Bicycle, Cance > TheRest, Cancelled, cantalupe, Cinemaniak, Climbing, clydesdale, Corrections, DanielSong39, DDavies, Dekker_Tifosi, dfromdub, dgodave, DNP-Old, dubexcalibur, Eclipse, Finn84, Flax_Generous, Forever The Best, franic, glassmoon, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Googolplex, GraftPunk, halfnormal, Hugo Koblet, ice&fire, igi000, infeXio, JackRabbitSlims, jaylew, jsem94, Logic-is-your-friend, LosBrolin, markene2, MartinGT, Melo, mojomonkey, momus, mrgorilla, MuskyOurSaviour, OmieeZF, ontheroad, Pantani Attacks, PapaD, PeterB, pitchnduel, ppanther92, RattaKuningas, Red Rick, rick james, rlntlssly, Rollthedice, ruamruam, SafeBet, Saint Unix, Salvarani, saneguy, Scarponi, Screecher, Simurgh, Singer01, slosada, SoNiK4, spalco, StephenC2020, Suck_Out, sulgpallur, T-Nielsen, Tank Engine, The Blues, The Hitch, The Tristero, therhodeo, thrawn, tobydawq, TommyGun, TourOfSardinia, vcampbell, vedrafjord, vino2001, VO2 Max, wirral, woodburn, yawron, Zinoviev Letter, Zoophonic and 696 guests

Back to top