Register

Race Design Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Oct 2011 21:47

The Hitch wrote:I eagerly await the Amgen Tour of Romania presented by Jens Attacks where every team has to have a minimum of 3 failed dope tests between them and every stage is an mtf.

For Romania I'd do a single day race, not stage, and it would be the first to be a mountain one day race.

TRANSFAGARASAN.
From Pitesti to Brasov.

Total length about 260 kms, thre would be about 2 cat 2 clims and 2-3 cat 4s. The big one would come after about 60kms of flat racing, just past the lovely lakeside road. The climb is a steady 0-4% gradient for the first 12-15 kms before a final 10 kms with gradients of either 4%, 8%, 11% or flat. This goes on untl a brief respite in the last 2 kms, except for the last 500m which are above 20%.

There is a descent before another 60-70km of flats. It would have been super to have it as a MTF but its in the middle of nowhere. Its OK because while the grupetto will most definitely catch back on, it won't end in a sprint.

Heading towards Brasov after the leaving the beautiful road, where it starts to resemble the hill terrain that is synonymous with one day racing. At 220kms it begns wih some speedbump hills, at 240 km there would be a 6 km climb. A couple more tiny hills follow. This creates opporunities for many attacks.

Another defining characteristic of this race would be the descent in the last 5 km of the race, where the elevation plummets a few hundred metres in the space of 3kms. This allows gutsy riders a head start on the main contenders before a Fleche/AGR style finish 2kms at 17% into Brasov.

Would love to put profiles up, and had them allready but my computer crashed and lost them.
User avatar bicing

07 Oct 2011 21:56

King Of The Wolds wrote:Has a pro peloton ever ridden in Cornwall?

A little excitement's fine, but 200 riders on Cornish roads would be mental. Constant up and downs, constant sharp bends, often one after another, ie. you'll get a 20% descent and, right at the bottom, you'll get a 90 deg. turn. The roads are narrow and usually bordered by stone fences, with no grass verges in between. Cornwall's wet and windy and, quite frequently, fairly heavily wooded, so you get stretches of roads where you cannot see anything beyond an upcoming bend.

Honestly, I can't think of more dangerous place for a peloton to ride.

I'll be honest my post on the first page has something the same with a few helligen a dirt road and a grandstand finish it would be wonderful
User avatar iwasonbwh

07 Oct 2011 22:04

Time for the queen stage here.

Stage 4: Leitza - Santuário de San Miguel de Áralar, 164km

A saw-toothed profile featuring a brief foray early in the stage into País Vasco (repaying them for continually using Leitza - where we're starting today - and Lekunberri - where there is an intermediate sprint on the stage - in their race), before three loops of a circuit with 2 climbs on it, before travelling down to the final mountain finish.

Climbs:
Gaztelu (cat.2), 4,2km @ 5,9%
Puerto de Azpiroz (Betelu)(cat.2) 6,9km @ 5,1%
Puerto de Huici (cat.2), 4,8km @ 6,7%
Puerto de Azpiroz (Azpirotz)(cat.3), 4,8km @ 3,8%
Puerto de Azpiroz (Azpirotz)(cat.3), 4,8km @ 3,8%
Zugargarate (cat.3), 7,2km @ 2,9%
Santuário de San Miguel de Áralar (cat.1), 11,2km @ 8,1%

This final climb is one that they have been talking about the possibility of using in the Vuelta lately; it's relatively steep, and for much of the way it is concreted rather than paved, much like Bola del Mundo (although not as steep).

The road:

However, it isn't so much a brute with killer gradients as it is just consistently up at around 8-9%, so it's the switchbacks and the surface that will prove the biggest killer:
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

07 Oct 2011 22:15

Leitza, the host of the depart, is a Basque stronghold within Navarre, and the hometown of Mikel Nieve:

Santuário de San Miguel de Áralar:
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 00:08

And so we finish how we started:

Stage 5: Etxarri-Aranatz - Egüés, 155km

Yes, it's another flat stage, the final stage of the Vuelta Profissional a Navarra, starting from the base of the previous day's killer climb, and riding along to Egüés, the small industrial town that Abarcá Sports (and Vladimir Karpets) call home. The only real obstacle is the other side of yesterday's penultimate climb, the Zugargarate, after that it's simply rolling until we get to the circuits of Egüés.

Climbs:
Zugargarate (cat.2), 7,0km @ 4,6%
Alto de Beruete (cat.3), 2,8km @ 4,6%
Puerto de Ilundáin (cat.3), 7,0km @ 3,2%

Etxarri-Aranatz:

Egüés:
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 01:33

Bored on Night shift, thought I'd have a bash...

Stonehaven to Cairngorm, Aviemore, 99.7miles/160.4 KM

Climbs
1 - Slug Road - Long easy climb 10.45km average gradient only 2.5% but pitches to 9% 182m gain
2 - Gairnshiel - 6.5Km at 6.5% pitches to 17% 310m total elevation gain
3 - The Lecht - 4.7Km at 6.25% average two pitches of 22% and 25% 285m gain
4 - Bridge of Brown - 1.8Km at 12.2% 17% max 120m gain (climbs for anoth 8Km after this though fairly shallow gradient though)
5 - Cairngorm - 5.8Km at 12.2% 550m gain. (Steady climb taken from Cairngorm visitor centre to Ski Station)

Total gain - 1547m/5075ft

My mate and I have promised ourselves a crack at this some day

TOUR OF BRITAIN......Are you reading this!!
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

08 Oct 2011 09:35

Siriuscat wrote:Bored on Night shift, thought I'd have a bash...

Stonehaven to Cairngorm, Aviemore, 99.7miles/160.4 KM

Climbs
1 - Slug Road - Long easy climb 10.45km average gradient only 2.5% but pitches to 9% 182m gain
2 - Gairnshiel - 6.5Km at 6.5% pitches to 17% 310m total elevation gain
3 - The Lecht - 4.7Km at 6.25% average two pitches of 22% and 25% 285m gain
4 - Bridge of Brown - 1.8Km at 12.2% 17% max 120m gain (climbs for anoth 8Km after this though fairly shallow gradient though)
5 - Cairngorm - 5.8Km at 12.2% 550m gain. (Steady climb taken from Cairngorm visitor centre to Ski Station)

Total gain - 1547m/5075ft

My mate and I have promised ourselves a crack at this some day

TOUR OF BRITAIN......Are you reading this!!

I get the impression from the postings both here and in my Unknown Climbs thread that there could be a really good Tour of Scotland.
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 09:49

Guys, how can i insert images from my computer in the posts? ( I mean non internet pictures)
User avatar Bavarianrider

08 Oct 2011 09:56

bicing wrote:For Romania I'd do a single day race, not stage, and it would be the first to be a mountain one day race.

TRANSFAGARASAN.
From Pitesti to Brasov.

Total length about 260 kms, thre would be about 2 cat 2 clims and 2-3 cat 4s. The big one would come after about 60kms of flat racing, just past the lovely lakeside road. The climb is a steady 0-4% gradient for the first 12-15 kms before a final 10 kms with gradients of either 4%, 8%, 11% or flat. This goes on untl a brief respite in the last 2 kms, except for the last 500m which are above 20%.

There is a descent before another 60-70km of flats. It would have been super to have it as a MTF but its in the middle of nowhere. Its OK because while the grupetto will most definitely catch back on, it won't end in a sprint.

Heading towards Brasov after the leaving the beautiful road, where it starts to resemble the hill terrain that is synonymous with one day racing. At 220kms it begns wih some speedbump hills, at 240 km there would be a 6 km climb. A couple more tiny hills follow. This creates opporunities for many attacks.

Another defining characteristic of this race would be the descent in the last 5 km of the race, where the elevation plummets a few hundred metres in the space of 3kms. This allows gutsy riders a head start on the main contenders before a Fleche/AGR style finish 2kms at 17% into Brasov.

Would love to put profiles up, and had them allready but my computer crashed and lost them.

indeed there are beatiful parts of the country but nah i don't have the patience to design routes of races which will never take place.
of course i love all the hipsterish routes of libertine,great parcours

by the way,transfagarasan was beaten by transalpina which it goes to 2145 meters(urdele pass)

Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 10:05

Bavarianrider wrote:Guys, how can i insert images from my computer in the posts? ( I mean non internet pictures)

Various image-hosting sites you can upload to, like imageshack, picasa, tinypic...
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 10:43

Libertine Seguros wrote:Various image-hosting sites you can upload to, like imageshack, picasa, tinypic...

08 Oct 2011 10:50

[SIZE="5"]Tour of Germany/ Deutschlandrundfahrt[/SIZE]

So guys, here we go the very first GT in Germany starts. 3 weeks of exciting racing in Germany. Obviously we want to establish this race as the the 3rd big GT. Therefore we run this race roghly at the same time like the Vuelta in late August/September. So teams can choose between those two races. Weather is also usually good and stablie during this period of time in Germany.

Stage 1:

[color="DarkRed"]Prologue: ITT in Berlin: 12.2km[/color]

The Tour starts with an all flat 12km Prologue right in the city center of Berlin. On their way riders will pass famous sights like the Brandenburger Tor or the Siegessäule
Riders who can get the big gears going early are the favorites in this one obviously.

08 Oct 2011 10:58

fyi bayerische reiter, a prologue must be below 9km's. If it is larger than it then it counts as a stage.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 11:02

Stage 2

[color="Red"]Berlin - Island of Rügen/Bergen 265km [/color]

So the first real stage of this Tour leads us in the North to the beautiful Island of Rügen. It's an all flat stage, but at 265km it's painfully long. So which sprinter will have the legs to take the stage after a very long ride?

08 Oct 2011 11:03

auscyclefan94 wrote:fyi bayerische reiter, a prologue must be below 9km's. If it is larger than it then it counts as a stage.

I called it first stage. Prologue is the inoffical label;):)

08 Oct 2011 11:13

Stage 3

[color="DarkRed"]Stralsund-Lübeck 237km[/color]

Another long day of racing in the North of Germany. It's again an all flat stage, but we are riding on the coast line all day long. So riders better watch out for crosswinds. If you are not lucky, you might lose the Tour before it has properly started.
Again in Lübeck we'll have to see wich sprinter has the freshest legs after a long stage.

08 Oct 2011 11:24

Stage 4

[color="DarkRed"]Lübeck--Hamburg 135km[/color]

WEll guys, we are in the North of Germany, so we have no mountains to expect. So it's another day for the sprinters. Unlike the last two days however, this stage is very short and sould be super fast. So maybe some other type of sprinter can win it today. Maybe Kittel?

08 Oct 2011 11:38

Maybe a little controversial politically, but there have been occasional rumblings of trying to use this town in the Vuelta. This could be a stage to make good use of it, or it could be simply a one-day race.

Vuelta a Ceúta, 204km

For those of you unfamiliar with Ceúta, that border on the left is with Morocco, and this is a little Spanish exclave on the African mainland. There are a couple of hills that serve as the boundary between it and Morocco, and we're looping up one of these, as well as a smaller climb within the city.

The main climb of the day is the Mirador de la Reina, which is 4,1km long at an average of 6,4%. Its steepest point, about halfway up, reaches 13%. After descending down to Benzú, some rolling coastal roads and some flat in Ceúta itself send us to the base of the smaller climb, up to the Fortificaciónes on Monte Hacho. This is a shorter climb, at just 1,5km, but it averages 7,5%, including a final 200m at 15%. From there we descend down the side of Monte Hacho back into Ceúta where we finish by the Calle de Independencía.

The race should suit puncheurs, as long as they have the endurance to last out the Mirador de la Reina, but one of the main factors involved will undoubtedly be the heat, which can get extremely high, and so 200km+ in it may turn this into a real test of endurance. Potentially I'd shave a lap off the distance if I were to include this in the Vuelta.

A view of Ceúta from the Mediterranean:

Monte Hacho in the foreground; the start and finish are on the Playa de la Ribera, on the left hand side of the narrow section separating Monte Hacho and its peninsula from the African mainland.

The start-finish:
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 11:40

Bayerische Reiter, Deutschlandrundfahrt is looking very much like Frankreichrundfahrt :p
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

08 Oct 2011 11:43

will10 wrote:Stage of the Tour of Britain in the heart of the peak district, using all these climbs that the supposed Queen stage of the ToB (the Stoke on Trent stage) just doesn't use :(

MACCLESFIELD - MATLOCK
142.6km

Summit finish on Bank Road in Matlock, 1.1km climb, average 16% with sections at 22%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2hVmDsC3M&feature=related

Nice route but from Whaley Bridge you should carry on up to Glossop, then over Snakes Pass, turn back and go over Winnats pass then to Buxton to do the rest of your route. Nice 200 km+ race right there.
uphillstruggle

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing