Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1032

26 Apr 2018 21:34

Valverde seems a bit like a tennis player or golfer who has won lots of tournaments but never landed a Grand Slam/Major

It's hard to think of genuine greats that didn't any win of: Tour de France, Worlds, Roubaix + Flanders.

(The irony is that if doping hadn't existed I think he would have - but you can't discuss that sensibly on this website)
Parker

26 Apr 2018 22:23

I don't get how Vino is ahead of Valv. Less so clearly ahead....
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

26 Apr 2018 23:37

Vino attacks everyone wrote:What is this bashing of Vino a few posts up? People who dispute him as the greatest cyclist of all time are heretics and ought to be treated as such. Mods? ban these infidels.

:) Different place in the forum, different times not so long ago, I drafted both Valverde and Vino in my La Vie Pas Claire team. I picked Vino round 3, Valverde round 4...you win :) .

But to be serious and on topic, Valverde's miserable week (I'd take it for a career, many riders would) can't take away that Don Alejandro won a bunch for so long, won a lot in '18. No reason to drag him in the mud (on this particular forum), cry "oh gloom oh doom", he will be back. Valverde can win everything just like Vino attacks everyone. He always come back. That we know. Only Nibali can get the rainbow over him IMO...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

27 Apr 2018 00:45

Tonton wrote:
Vino attacks everyone wrote:What is this bashing of Vino a few posts up? People who dispute him as the greatest cyclist of all time are heretics and ought to be treated as such. Mods? ban these infidels.

:) Different place in the forum, different times not so long ago, I drafted both Valverde and Vino in my La Vie Pas Claire team. I picked Vino round 3, Valverde round 4...you win :) .

But to be serious and on topic, Valverde's miserable week (I'd take it for a career, many riders would) can't take away that Don Alejandro won a bunch for so long, won a lot in '18. No reason to drag him in the mud (on this particular forum), cry "oh gloom oh doom", he will be back. Valverde can win everything just like Vino attacks everyone. He always come back. That we know. Only Nibali can get the rainbow over him IMO...

When I went back and looked at his classics races in general and the Ardennes in specific he actually didn't have a bad classics season or Ardennes week. In both cases there are a lot of riders who would kill to have those results for just one season. It would make an entire career for many riders and for the rest would be a great classics season or Ardennes week. The only rider in the entire peloton that we look at with these results:
4th - Strade Bianche
11th - Dwars door Vlaanderan
5th - Amstel
2nd - Fleche Wallone
13th - LBL

and say he had a disastrous classics season and a even more disastrous Ardennes week is Valverde. He's set the bar so high that anything less is looked at very differently than if it was anyone else. He's actually never won the Ardennes double in back to back years, he's never won LBL in back to back years. Yet we actually expect him to win the Ardennes double just because he showed up and is on the start line.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

27 Apr 2018 20:05

Netserk wrote:Aye, both Vino and Pantani are clearly above Valverde, even if El Pistolero disagrees.

Just no.
User avatar Blanco

Re: Re:

28 Apr 2018 16:12

Blanco wrote:
Netserk wrote:Aye, both Vino and Pantani are clearly above Valverde, even if El Pistolero disagrees.

Just no.
Pantani was far more talented, but mentally very fragile.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

12 May 2018 17:50

Today Bala was honored with the Favorite Son of Murcia award.
In comments he made he said he'll made a decision next year as to rather he keeps racing past 2019 or not. He said that it basically is just going to depend on how he's feeling. Right now he feels great, but that he is starting to feel the effects of his age.
User avatar Koronin

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

13 May 2018 00:39

The way these stages have gone at the Giro he could have collected three stages by now
Scarponi

13 May 2018 00:52

Scarponi wrote:The way these stages have gone at the Giro he could have collected three stages by now

Very true, however he was in no condition to go this year. He said after LBL that his body was screaming for a break. There's no way he could have raced it this year. A lot of that is because of the injury and not getting a real break during the off season. Pushing so hard to get back for the start of the season and being nervous about his return and then also pushing to be in top shape for his return to prove that he was alright.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jun 2018 19:52

1 month is too much...

The legend will race again tomorrow, first race after Liege, the Route du Sud, Occitanie or whatever it is called. Its a nice little race which he also did in 2014 before his quite disappointing Tour. I don't hope the sickness has hit him too hard, regardless, he will still have plenty of time catch up after this race. Bernal isn't riding so he should win.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Jun 2018 20:24

Agreed. Even if hasn't fully gotten rid of the cold (he said minor or mild cold) it's not like he has that much competition in this race. Unless he's really sick he should be able to win.

(On a side note, I'm glad to know I'm not only one that has said whatever this is race is called for it's name. :) )
User avatar Koronin

14 Jun 2018 16:48

Sprinted with the big boys today haha
Scarponi

14 Jun 2018 17:28

Barbero posted this on twitter:

Cuando Valverde te dice:
”Barbero yo te coloco para el sprint”.
Es como si tu madre te dice cuando tienes un problema:
“Hijo no te preocupes,yo te lo soluciono”.
Puedes estar tranquilo que las dos cosas van a pasar

When Valverde says he will prepare the sprint its the same thing when your mom tells you she will fix it - you can be sure both things will happen!

He looked good today, the power is definitely there. Vamos campeón! :cool:
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

14 Jun 2018 19:05

Scarponi wrote:Sprinted with the big boys today haha

No, no, he was sprinting for Barbero. Tomorrow you will see him vs the Cofidis duo and Coquard ;)
User avatar Blanco

14 Jun 2018 19:24

Today he was giving his sprinter, Barbero, a lead out.

Nice tweet from Barbero to thank Bala.

Bala posted on twitter that basically he's over his cold and this was a great stage to get the rust off, and helping Barbero.

Vamos, Bala!
User avatar Koronin

15 Jun 2018 07:01

Do you guys think that Quintana and Landa would work for Valverde if he gets past the cobbles 3+ mins up over them?
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

15 Jun 2018 09:42

SHAD0W93 wrote:Do you guys think that Quintana and Landa would work for Valverde if he gets past the cobbles 3+ mins up over them?

Landa probably would, Quintana I'm not so sure...
User avatar Blanco

Re:

15 Jun 2018 15:03

SHAD0W93 wrote:Do you guys think that Quintana and Landa would work for Valverde if he gets past the cobbles 3+ mins up over them?

Quintana highly unlikely. Landa probably would. Quintana already was not happy and only grudgingly worked for Valverde at Catalonia. Landa was more than happy and willing to work for Valverde at the Ardennes. I think the other thing with Landa, is that he knows that at some point Valverde is highly likely to give him the green light to go try to get something for himself as well. Valverde is known for releasing his teammates at the end of stages as well.
User avatar Koronin

16 Jun 2018 19:07

10th for Bala, 11th in the making...
User avatar Blanco

Re:

16 Jun 2018 19:56

Blanco wrote:10th for Bala, 11th in the making...

Equaling last year's win total. Truthfully, did any of us truly believe he would equal last year's win total this year after that injury at the Tour? I always believed if anyone could come back and win again (esp at his age) it would be him, but even I didn't expect him to come close to that win total this year. Also adding another race to his palmares that he hadn't won before. Yes a small race, but still one that wasn't on his palmares. Also again proving that as a non sprinter he's a very prolific winner.
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing