Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

09 Jul 2018 20:38

The devil inside Valverde will be pleased so far: Quintana already down a minute, and he will get rid of Landa probably in the cobbles stage.
Moviestar

Re:

09 Jul 2018 20:41

Moviestar wrote:The devil inside Valverde will be pleased so far: Quintana already down a minute, and he will get rid of Landa probably in the cobbles stage.

If (when....) Valverde is beasting Mur de Bretagne and the pavé, the pure climbers Landa and Quintana will be forced to attack not only to gain time on Froome, Dumoulin etc.....
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 21:20

It's a ways away, but it seems stage 14 offers an opportunity for Bala to steal time off Froome and other less explosive GC men. Furthermore I can see him splitting the field with a masterclass descent on stage 15. Not to mention the classic-style stage 4 & 5 and the cobbles... Assuming he can get Landa and Nairo on board as doms I think he can podium
Amazinmets87

Re:

09 Jul 2018 21:31

Amazinmets87 wrote:It's a ways away, but it seems stage 14 offers an opportunity for Bala to steal time off Froome and other less explosive GC men. Furthermore I can see him splitting the field with a masterclass descent on stage 15. Not to mention the classic-style stage 4 & 5 and the cobbles... Assuming he can get Landa and Nairo on board as doms I think he can podium

Stage 15 could be a masterclass by both him and Nibali. That could be fun.
Stage 4 should be a full field sprint. 5 however, I could see definite time gaps with top puncheurs and maybe Sagan up there for the stage win.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

09 Jul 2018 21:45

Koronin wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:It's a ways away, but it seems stage 14 offers an opportunity for Bala to steal time off Froome and other less explosive GC men. Furthermore I can see him splitting the field with a masterclass descent on stage 15. Not to mention the classic-style stage 4 & 5 and the cobbles... Assuming he can get Landa and Nairo on board as doms I think he can podium

Stage 15 could be a masterclass by both him and Nibali. That could be fun.
Stage 4 should be a full field sprint. 5 however, I could see definite time gaps with top puncheurs and maybe Sagan up there for the stage win.

Nibali will definitely put on a show if he needs time...

As for stage 5 it's virtually all hills and descents with no respite for 150km. The final difficulty is certainly not steep enough for significant gaps, but I believe an attack on the penultimate climb (or even further) could be forthcoming.
Amazinmets87

Re:

10 Jul 2018 21:55

Since his crash Valverde seems a bit more cautious in the descents than before. The Spanish national roadrace was a good example of it.
Moviestar

10 Jul 2018 23:08

Moviestar wrote:

Since his crash Valverde seems a bit more cautious in the descents than before. The Spanish national roadrace was a good example of it.

I think there was more at the National Championships as he's also just in race shape and said something about the fact that the Izagirre brothers were on a lot better form than he was at the National Championships.
User avatar Koronin

11 Jul 2018 01:55

I think he’ll do something tomorrow. There is time to be taken from some other GC guys.
Son of Amsterhammer

Re:

11 Jul 2018 08:23

Son of Amsterhammer wrote:I think he’ll do something tomorrow. There is time to be taken from some other GC guys.

Unfortunately I think its too easy. All the hills in the finals are under 1 km, I would be very surprised if he can beat Sagan. Ofc Sagan has a little question mark after the TTT, but I think it was only a bad day - but I hope not, then he has a chance to win, even on a finish like this. :p
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Jul 2018 02:19

This was Bala having a bit of fun and being a "fan" before the race. He managed to find one of the Tour mascot's to get his picture taken with.
User avatar Koronin

12 Jul 2018 03:59

It's not coming home. He's coming home :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

12 Jul 2018 05:52

Slightly OT (but still on subject of Valverde)... So I just read the story about Luke Rowe of Team SKY accosting a fan and stealing his banner and destroying it, then lying about the incident when confronted, claiming it never happened.

Even though Valverde lied about any involvement in Puerto, I can't imagine him ever reacting to a fan off of the race course like Rowe did, then lying about actually having done something scrappy like that in the first place. Is that weird?
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

12 Jul 2018 05:57

Are there any other riders you couldn't imagine doing that, or just Valverde?
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

12 Jul 2018 06:29

The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Jul 2018 07:09

A little help from his friends from Movistar wouldn't mind today. He was left on his own yesterday, and could've grabbed 4 sec bonus with some help with positioning before the final ramp, but I guess they were afraid of Nairo and Landa losing time hence they needed to babysit them. They knew Alejandro will handle himself quite well even without any help. But today, some help would be more than welcome, possibly on both Mur passages, to tire legs of Sagan, GVA, Gilbert.., then 1 on 1 with Ala, and may the best man win :D
User avatar Blanco

Re:

12 Jul 2018 11:50

Valv.Piti wrote:The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/punch-ups-vuelta-espana-one-didnt-see-135299

Such a nice guy that Rodriguez.
trucido

12 Jul 2018 16:02

What the hell was he doing? Went from last wheel all the way to 3rd in a few hundred meters.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

12 Jul 2018 16:16

DNP-Old wrote:What the hell was he doing? Went from last wheel all the way to 3rd in a few hundred meters.

Waiting to jump Alaphilippe after Martin died in the headwind.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

12 Jul 2018 16:47

trucido wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/punch-ups-vuelta-espana-one-didnt-see-135299

Such a nice guy that Rodriguez.

I have no idea what Rodriguez is like, or whether he really did that, I won't opine.
What I have learned over the years is that anything Deignan says is to be discarded. Zero credibility.

Now, did anyone else see this punch? If they did, I'll fully believe it.
User avatar GuyIncognito

12 Jul 2018 16:52

The Tour really has been perfect for Valverde so far, he has been in zero problems along the way, but his team has not been able to drop him off for various reasons on stage 5 and 6. Its fine. The weather is great and he is feeling great, the more heat the better. Of course it sucks he couldn't win today, but I don't think he is sweating it over that.

Onto Roubaix now, he should be among the best there. He most likely can go into the Alps with a defensive approach and profit from the attacks of Landa and Quintana, this could be a great Tour for Valverde.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing