Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

Re:

21 Sep 2018 10:45

Valv.Piti wrote:Spain also has a pretty strong team and can send Mas up the road, but yeah, Valverde seems very susceptible to get on the wrong side of the split on very aggressively ridden races (on the biggest races).

Right now I'm thinking the reverse would be better, but that won't happen.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

21 Sep 2018 11:33

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Spain also has a pretty strong team and can send Mas up the road, but yeah, Valverde seems very susceptible to get on the wrong side of the split on very aggressively ridden races (on the biggest races).

You're right, it won't happen,
and you're wrong, it wouldn't be better.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

21 Sep 2018 11:44

Yeah, but with Mas we're deeply in the unknown zone. It's a big ? how he will perform in a 250km very hard race, against the likes who have monument podiums like Bardet, Uran, Pinot... I wouldn't count on him too much...
User avatar Blanco

21 Sep 2018 12:03

Blanco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Valverde was going downhill at the end of the Vuelta, and was one of the best climbers on one of 8 mountain stages.

Mas came out of the Vuelta a lot better. I just think Valverde is a known entity who isn't gonna win in a W/kg drag race at this point.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

21 Sep 2018 12:20

Red Rick wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Valverde was going downhill at the end of the Vuelta, and was one of the best climbers on one of 8 mountain stages.

Mas came out of the Vuelta a lot better. I just think Valverde is a known entity who isn't gonna win in a W/kg drag race at this point.

I tend to think that Valverde like Sagan has probably had enough this season.
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Sep 2018 12:54

Red Rick wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

250 km one-day race and GT stages aren't the same thing, I think you know that.
Mas is a young rider and big unknown, and Valverde is a big champion.
User avatar Blanco

21 Sep 2018 22:55

A one day race and a stage race are totally different animals. You don't race them anywhere near the same.
User avatar Koronin

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

21 Sep 2018 23:29

No panic for The Don. When the year started, I picked him to win this bike race. The winner will have to be"

1. An excellent climber: check
2. An explosive climber on that last one: check
3. Be a good descender (lead to the finish): check
4. If it's a small group (3,4,5?) sprint, out-sprint them: check

Alaphilippe is the threat, or a 2 on 1 from a team (Italy, France?) with one attacking in the final kilometer, force Valverde to chase, the second rider beats/out-kicks him.

Kwiat is dangerous too in this scenario.

If Simon says "try to catch me", done it, watch out.

And there's Vicenzo...

I can't imagine Don Alejandro not on the podium. For the win, there's no guarantee. But he's a serious customer.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

22 Sep 2018 00:07

If The Don has the legs, he's a strong candidate to be at the end of the race and repeat one the tactical blunders that have given him so many podiums. The old parrot can't learn new tricks.
ice&fire

22 Sep 2018 21:47

If I'm in Minguez and Valverde's place, I would try to put my riders in every break attempt (except the first one, usually the longest and the weakest), up until last Olympia ascent, trying to arrive there with relatively fresh 2-3 guys (Izagirre, Nieve, De La Cruz, for example...), and then use those guys to put everything in check for the Hell climb. Then let the old man play his thing. If he has the legs, medal is a guarantee.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

22 Sep 2018 22:02

Blanco wrote:If I'm in Minguez and Valverde's place, I would try to put my riders in every break attempt (except the first one, usually the longest and the weakest), up until last Olympia ascent, trying to arrive there with relatively fresh 2-3 guys (Izagirre, Nieve, De La Cruz, for example...), and then use those guys to put everything in check for the Hell climb. Then let the old man play his thing. If he has the legs, medal is a guarantee.

That is probably Valverde’s best way of playing things, I agree. But it’s worth noting that a large majority of big one day races over the last two years have been won by riders who were in the first big attack featuring major contenders. The favourites who waited have very often just not seen the guys who went again. This is going to be very hard to control and I suspect that it will be very easy for Spain to end up with riders covering breaks who aren’t one of the strongest riders in that break.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

22 Sep 2018 22:09

I agree about getting someone in all but the first break and saving 2-3 riders to ensure Valverde hits the last climb in the best possible position. If all that happens and he has the legs, he's definitely got another medal, the question is can he finally get that gold.
User avatar Koronin

24 Sep 2018 22:15

The Spanish team is together training (well except for Castroviejo who is getting ready for the ITT).

User avatar Koronin

Re:

24 Sep 2018 22:23

Koronin wrote:The Spanish team is together training (well except for Castroviejo who is getting ready for the ITT).

I really like the spanish kit
User avatar markene2

24 Sep 2018 22:32

And here we have the definitive proof that Mas is already balder than Valverde

Also

"and now look in the sun and try not to look like you hate life"
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

24 Sep 2018 22:53

You'd think they could do better with a team photo.

True, we do have proof that the 23 yr old has less hair than the 38 yr old whom we all keep talking about concerning his hair.
User avatar Koronin

24 Sep 2018 22:54

markene2, this kit is better than some of the previous ones. The one before this was basically split in half with the red and yellow. However, in reality there is only so much you can do with those two colors.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

25 Sep 2018 00:53

Koronin wrote:The Spanish team is together training (well except for Castroviejo who is getting ready for the ITT).

They're all pointing in a different direction :D .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

29 Sep 2018 23:13

Make of this comment what you will. Alejandro said that he's more rested coming into this Worlds than he has been for several years. He's also not been downplaying his chances as he is so good at doing and we've become accustom to hearing. He actually sounds confident.
User avatar Koronin

30 Sep 2018 14:41

YES! Finally!
User avatar Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing