Log in:  

Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
213
19%
Snow Storm
206
19%
Desert Storm
197
18%
Tornado
219
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
272
25%
 
Total votes : 1107

04 Feb 2018 17:28

Based on his start of this season, he could very well enter top 5 on this list by the end of this season, and to finish in the top 3 is even looking like a possibility.

https://www.cyclingranking.com/
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,946
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re:

04 Feb 2018 19:55

Valv.Piti wrote:Im pretty sure I caught Valverde saying that he was going to Murcia, Almeria and Abu Dhabi. Thats a little disappointing, but the competition will be bigger in Abu Dhabi and its WT, so its not all bad.


Quite understandably if he'd wanna do Murcia. It's his local race, and he did pretty well last year.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,746
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

04 Feb 2018 20:12

He is certainly slimmer in his legs and a little bit gross on the upper body.

Given the results, everything seems okey after the big injury...but it looks like he can improve his form
User avatar KyoGrey
Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: 18 Jun 2015 21:57
Location: España

05 Feb 2018 23:22

Bala rules :).
User avatar lartiste
Junior Member
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 29 Jul 2016 21:47

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

10 Feb 2018 17:12

2nd place today @ vuelta Murcia. Gonna be interesting to hear the interview, he looked a little tired in the end when LuLU attacked. But another good placing.
User avatar Serpentin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: 12 Sep 2017 09:17

10 Feb 2018 17:18

Looks like a gifted win to me. Classy.

Seems like there's nothing to worry about for Valverde after a horrific end to last year's season. Could also be that he'll only show weakness in the GTs.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

10 Feb 2018 17:33

Red Rick wrote:Looks like a gifted win to me. Classy.

Seems like there's nothing to worry about for Valverde after a horrific end to last year's season. Could also be that he'll only show weakness in the GTs.


How dare you? He would never gift the most important race of the season
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,243
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re:

10 Feb 2018 17:57

Red Rick wrote:Looks like a gifted win to me. Classy.

Seems like there's nothing to worry about for Valverde after a horrific end to last year's season. Could also be that he'll only show weakness in the GTs.


He picks up where he left off. He will be the big favorite for FW and LBL for sure.
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,421
Joined: 16 Aug 2013 16:26
Location: Raalte, The Netherlands

10 Feb 2018 18:05

Sanchez looks to be on great form right now and there's no way Valverde is that close to peak at the moment. He's definitely back and when we get to the Ardennes he'll be the huge favorite at Fleche Wallone and Liege. He's also now raced enough to know what he's still missing at this point as I'm sure he doesn't have all the muscle mass back into the injured leg yet and that may be very simply what the issue was today. That'll take more time to get back.

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

10 Feb 2018 19:02

Koronin wrote:...

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/


I agree that it is silly to even suggest that Valverde would've let LLS win. He is our Spanish Cannibal. Speaking of Spanish, though, did anyone actually watch the race, or even the last 15-20km that was available as a clip via steephill? I thought the Spanish commentators were insufferable - terrible! They didn't try to build emotion or excitement...just a bunch of chatty kathys blabbering on. Very disappointed. They should've had some Colombians commentating - that would've been epic.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 13 May 2009 15:57
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Re:

10 Feb 2018 19:19

joe_papp wrote:
Koronin wrote:...

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/


I agree that it is silly to even suggest that Valverde would've let LLS win. He is our Spanish Cannibal. Speaking of Spanish, though, did anyone actually watch the race, or even the last 15-20km that was available as a clip via steephill? I thought the Spanish commentators were insufferable - terrible! They didn't try to build emotion or excitement...just a bunch of chatty kathys blabbering on. Very disappointed. They should've had some Colombians commentating - that would've been epic.



Well it was local TV only, so local announcers, not the normal announcers. Otherwise, the only video I've seen is video that was taken on the side of the road by fans, along with the finish line clips. Only around the last 10 or KMs was even broadcast locally so not much of the race is even aired. Most of people I know who live in Murcia were out on the side of the road watching and cheering.

As for my opinion on did Valverde let LL Sanchez win, well last I checked Valverde is still pretty good at making some strange mistakes during races, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the attack caught him off guard. He's managed to do that many times of the years and it's cost him a bunch of wins over the years.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

10 Feb 2018 19:48

Koronin wrote:Sanchez looks to be on great form right now and there's no way Valverde is that close to peak at the moment. He's definitely back and when we get to the Ardennes he'll be the huge favorite at Fleche Wallone and Liege. He's also now raced enough to know what he's still missing at this point as I'm sure he doesn't have all the muscle mass back into the injured leg yet and that may be very simply what the issue was today. That'll take more time to get back.

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/


Of course he would say something like that, but I think it was a gift for his grand amigo.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,353
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Re:

10 Feb 2018 20:23

Blanco wrote:
Koronin wrote:Sanchez looks to be on great form right now and there's no way Valverde is that close to peak at the moment. He's definitely back and when we get to the Ardennes he'll be the huge favorite at Fleche Wallone and Liege. He's also now raced enough to know what he's still missing at this point as I'm sure he doesn't have all the muscle mass back into the injured leg yet and that may be very simply what the issue was today. That'll take more time to get back.

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/


Of course he would say something like that, but I think it was a gift for his grand amigo.

Yeah, the only thing that tarnishes the gesture of gifting a win, is telling the world that you gifted a win. He's been gifting wins for years to his mates - including bigger races than this like the Spanish nationals.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,336
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

10 Feb 2018 21:16

I saw on TV. Valverde let him go, It's clear, he did'nt dispute Luisle. Facts are: Valverde has won this race 4 o 5 times. Last year after a solo show. Luisleón has never won.
Vuelta a Valencia showed another sprint ant that time after a fair dispute Valverde won.
Both are from Murcia, both are good friends (look Luisle smile in stage 2 Valencia).

Once the two had the opportunity to win today, Valverde should have wait for the sprint. But instead, Valverde attacks Luisle with 3 km to go. Then Luisle counter attacks and Valverde doesnt go. It was smart from Valverde this tactic of simmulation rather than let him win a sprint (nobody could have believe Luisle beats Bala in a sprint). Then today's no dispute from Bala makes him even bigger.

Pd: the woman in brown that saludates Luisleon in the finale (300 metes to the finish) is his mother. A truly Murcia race today
Aguirre
Member
 
Posts: 483
Joined: 19 May 2009 20:47

10 Feb 2018 22:15

I watched it. I'm a huge Bala fan but it didn't look like the win was gifted to me.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,135
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

10 Feb 2018 22:36

It was a gift.
Lulu and Rojas are the two guys that he owe for his comeback after the 2 year ban.
They are with him during training and motivated him to go on.
Asero831
Member
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 26 Jan 2014 11:22

Re:

10 Feb 2018 22:52

Asero831 wrote:It was a gift.
Lulu and Rojas are the two guys that he owe for his comeback after the 2 year ban.
They are with him during training and motivated him to go on.


None of that necessarily means it was a gift.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,135
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

10 Feb 2018 23:19

Sometimes I wonder a little bit if Valverde even legitimately peaks or not, cause his form trajectory looks incredibly flat throughout a season
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

11 Feb 2018 00:00

Red Rick wrote:Sometimes I wonder a little bit if Valverde even legitimately peaks or not, cause his form trajectory looks incredibly flat throughout a season



Technically yes, in reality compared to other riders no. The team has said they can't tell the different in 75% of people or peak with him like they can anyone else. Remember he won Fleche Wallone in 2016 right before the Giro when he wasn't at peak as he was delaying his peak to try to hit that in the middle of the Giro. The team explained it once that his peak isn't nearly as high as other top riders which is why he can hold his form much longer and why it's hard to tell when he's near or at peak. They also said that the very small difference between 75% and peak for him leads to his amazing consistency and that is his unique gift.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2018 04:59

Koronin wrote:
joe_papp wrote:
Koronin wrote:...

This is in Spanish, but he says that he was caught by surprise when Sanchez attacked and that he did not let him win.
https://demarrajeweb.com/2018/02/10/valverde-sobre-luisleme-sorprendio/


I agree that it is silly to even suggest that Valverde would've let LLS win. He is our Spanish Cannibal. Speaking of Spanish, though, did anyone actually watch the race, or even the last 15-20km that was available as a clip via steephill? I thought the Spanish commentators were insufferable - terrible! They didn't try to build emotion or excitement...just a bunch of chatty kathys blabbering on. Very disappointed. They should've had some Colombians commentating - that would've been epic.



Well it was local TV only, so local announcers, not the normal announcers. Otherwise, the only video I've seen is video that was taken on the side of the road by fans, along with the finish line clips. Only around the last 10 or KMs was even broadcast locally so not much of the race is even aired. Most of people I know who live in Murcia were out on the side of the road watching and cheering...

Ahh ok. Didn't realize this about the coverage. Thanks for the insight.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 13 May 2009 15:57
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dacooley, Gigs_98, WheelofGear and 44 guests

Back to top