Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
18%
Desert Storm
17%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
26%

Total votes : 892

20 Aug 2017 20:08

For me Valverde is hard to love and easy to respect.

Funnily enough I used to be a fan of Valverde back when I started watching other races than the Tour.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Re:

20 Aug 2017 20:21

Valv.Piti wrote:
Forever The Best wrote:Even though I am neutral against him, I am amazed at his dedication and love for cycling. :) :eek:

I figured most either love or hate this rider (strong word, lets say dislike) due to clinic stuff and sometimes conservative tactics in the biggest races. Not many neutrals...Altho i think a lot of people who disliked him in the past has come to respect him recently. Same with Contador.

And how can you not, this is next level stuff. :cool:

I like his racing everywhere to get good result mentality (he races from February to October _O_) and when he attacks (e.g. Andalo stage in '16 Giro, Vuelta a Murcia, Pais Vasco '14 etc.)
I dislike him when he wheelsucks/rides for 2nd-3rd (e.g. Pra-Loup '15, LBL '14 etc.) or when he does horrible tactics (e.g. Firenze '13, Pra-Loup '15, Lombardia '14 etc.)
So, I am neutral.
Forever The Best

20 Aug 2017 21:14

Dedication?! He's a lazy bum! Otherwise he wouldn't have let his team down, and he would be racing the Vuelta now! Contador set the standard three years ago.

_O_

:p
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

20 Aug 2017 21:16

Netserk wrote:Dedication?! He's a lazy bum! Otherwise he wouldn't have let his team down, and he would be racing the Vuelta now! Contador set the standard three years ago.

_O_

:p

Yes, who could forget Alberto ´The Black Knight´ Contador?
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

20 Aug 2017 22:12

Red Rick wrote:For me Valverde is hard to love and easy to respect.

Funnily enough I used to be a fan of Valverde back when I started watching other races than the Tour.

Spot on. For a guy of his talent (a beast) the way he rides in the big races is pretty meh... if I didn't watch (for example) la doyenne and someone told me that the winner was valverde, I already knew that liege was boring as f$$$. And I think that the way he is always wheelsucking alberto's wheel doesn't help either (contador is the most likeable guy since armstrong).
portugal11

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

21 Aug 2017 11:05

mariposa wrote:Article in El Periodico says Valverde given all clear to get back on his bike on the road. He wants to take part in the Tour of Guanxi in October!

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/ciclismo/20170819/valverde-vuelve-a-subir-a-la-bici-y-ya-quiere-competir-este-ano-6232772

CN article says this is against doctor's advice, and that they want him to wait 8 months before returning. Also that the team are concerned about him rushing back too fast.

Ordinarily, with a younger rider, I'd think this kind of super fast return very unwise and on the team's part irresponsible, risking a career for a few months. But in the specific case of Valverde who is at the tail end of a great career, he might reasonably think that those 8 months represent a key part of the rest of his career anyway and so it's worth risking it to be in shape next spring.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

21 Aug 2017 11:14

He's back on the road
credit: coyotemaldito

Asero831

21 Aug 2017 11:16

Valverde just doesnt give one single ****
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Aug 2017 13:23

Find it interesting that Valverde doesn't wait until the TDU in January - This gives him 6 months which is closer to the doctor's suggestion of 8 months.
yaco

21 Aug 2017 13:33

Fantastic. What a king he is.
Pennino

Re:

21 Aug 2017 13:57

yaco wrote:Find it interesting that Valverde doesn't wait until the TDU in January - This gives him 6 months which is closer to the doctor's suggestion of 8 months.

Because if he doesn't start training properly soon, he wouldn't be in shape for the Ardennes next year. And there is no way he's going to miss out on his favourite races like Andalucia, Murcia and Mallorca for some Micky Mouse race in Australia.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

21 Aug 2017 14:01

DFA123 wrote:
yaco wrote:Find it interesting that Valverde doesn't wait until the TDU in January - This gives him 6 months which is closer to the doctor's suggestion of 8 months.

Because if he doesn't start training properly soon, he wouldn't be in shape for the Ardennes next year. And there is no way he's going to miss out on his favourite races like Andalucia, Murcia and Mallorca for some Micky Mouse race in Australia.

Well said. Starting racing in January would probably lead to a 2012-spring and while he still was able to outsprint Gerro on several occasions in the mickey mouse race that is Down Under, who really cares? Valverde need miles, it makes him stronger.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Aug 2017 14:02

Also am I the only one who thinks Valverde could have won this years Tour without the crash? :(
Forever The Best

Re:

21 Aug 2017 14:05

Forever The Best wrote:Also am I the only one who thinks Valverde could have won this years Tour without the crash? :(

Nope, I began to speculate in late March and early April already and it pretty much got increasingly likely up until that stupid corner.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

21 Aug 2017 14:06

Forever The Best wrote:Also am I the only one who thinks Valverde could have won this years Tour without the crash? :(

Yes (if not, there are a lot of crazy men in this forum)... he would have lost at least 1 minute on mont du chat. He isn't a pure climber.
portugal11

21 Aug 2017 14:09

Valverde pretty much gets better the more he races unless you go to the extremes like 2016. If he feels ready, then go!
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Aug 2017 14:09

portugal11 wrote:

Yes (if not, there are a lot of crazy men in this forum)... he would have lost at least 1 minute on mont du chat. He isn't a pure climber.

D.Martin was on the leading group in Mont du Chat. But then again, perhaps Froome would have tried harder to drop Valverde.

Valv.Piti wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2173343#p2173343</span>]Forever The Best[/url] wrote:Also am I the only one who thinks Valverde could have won this years Tour without the crash? :(

Nope, I began to speculate in late March and early April already and it pretty much got increasingly likely up until that stupid corner.
Yeah, I feel sorry for making a few insensitive comments that day when he crashed. :(
Forever The Best

21 Aug 2017 14:15

portugal11 wrote:

He's no less climber than Uran, Bardet and Martin, that's sure.
User avatar Blanco

21 Aug 2017 14:20

Valv.Piti wrote:
DFA123 wrote:

Well said. Starting racing in January would probably lead to a 2012-spring and while he still was able to outsprint Gerro on several occasions in the mickey mouse race that is Down Under, who really cares? Valverde need miles, it makes him stronger.

Definitely, he's not one of these riders who can disappear for months and reach top form, he's better when he can just ride as much as possible. And racing is the best form of training for him; he doesn't have to try to win this race in China, just get a bit of sharpness and also see exactly where he is at before starting proper 2018 pre-season.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

21 Aug 2017 14:27

Knowing Bala, at the back of his mind, he is eyeing Lombardia
Asero831

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing