Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

14 Oct 2017 03:11

Valverde has issues with altitude. He always has, and has stated as much. That has always been his issue at the Tour and was his issue at the GIro was the high altitude state. He lost over 4 minutes on that stage. He's not the best climber, he's also stated that. He also said the reason he's as good at climbing as he is is because he enjoys it. Yes he wins a lot of races with his sprint because he has a good sprint. He prefers to rely on it. I'm not entirely convinced his idea of this schedule has him targeting the Giro. In all likely hood Landa would be targeting the Giro and and Valverde would be option B. The Vuelta is another story as that race fits him much better. It doesn't typically have the high altitude that the other Grand Tours have and his abilities and skills are very suited to the Spanish races and the Spanish climbs.
User avatar Koronin

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

17 Oct 2017 17:37

Was just looking at the CQ ranking. Valverde 6th after only riding half the season. Not far from 3rd place even. He would have gone deep into the 3000+ territory this year. I wonder what next years bring
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

17 Oct 2017 18:38

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Was just looking at the CQ ranking. Valverde 6th after only riding half the season. Not far from 3rd place even. He would have gone deep into the 3000+ territory this year. I wonder what next years bring

Dont remind me of what could have been this year. Will haunt me for quite some time.

I have really no idea what next year will bring. He says he training mates are saying he is stronger than usual, but I call bull on that. I expect a level similar to that off 12/13, but better in the Ardennes. And I expect a pretty big Vuelta from him.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Oct 2017 18:43

Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Was just looking at the CQ ranking. Valverde 6th after only riding half the season. Not far from 3rd place even. He would have gone deep into the 3000+ territory this year. I wonder what next years bring

Dont remind me of what could have been this year. Will haunt me for quite some time.

I have really no idea what next year will bring. He says he training mates are saying he is stronger than usual, but I call bull on that. I expect a level similar to that off 12/13, but better in the Ardennes. And I expect a pretty big Vuelta from him.

I would love that. I fear it's more of the recently same.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

17 Oct 2017 19:14

Netserk wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Like 15-17 shape? That would certainly be lovely.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Oct 2017 20:16

Valv.Piti wrote:
Netserk wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Like 15-17 shape? That would certainly be lovely.

I think something close to 15-17 shape makes sense. He was only off his bike for a few weeks. 3 weeks after the injury they had him on a bike in the water, and it was about 1 more week after that he was on his trainer. At 6 weeks after the injury he was back out on the road riding. So even though he had a very serious injury he wasn't off his bike and out of training for that long of time. So it would make sense he can get back to where he was at when he got hurt. He may have a bit of rust to shake off in his first couple of races back, but I'd expect him to be fine by the time he gets to the end of February and definitely fine for the Ardennes. Yes look out at la Vuelta, esp if he gets the schedule he wants which is to skip the Tour.
User avatar Koronin

05 Nov 2017 20:13

Both the team and he are saying Mallorca is where he will start next season.
I think the way the 4 day Mallorca races are set up is actually a good place to come back from a series injury and see where you're at.
User avatar Koronin

05 Nov 2017 20:18

Valverde is definitely one of the best athletes that I know of, he is just sounding to incredibly confident going into next season. Just wont let the racing go and he isn't doing it the Adam Hansen-way at 37 years old. Just getting annoyed writing this guy's name, lol. No, I wouldn't be surprised if he was as good as last year which clearly would have been his best year had he not crashed in **** Dusseldorf. Damn, never was I that down due to a sporting event.

Anyways, just dropping by to casually drop a few of my favourite victories of El Don:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YczUgIbP91A&t=1s
His most meaningful win to me since I didnt watch the Vuelta in 03, only in 04 (If I had I would have added the legendary Pandera win). Outsprinting the best Tour de France rider of all time like that is amazing. Plus points for Illes Baleares outfit and Rasmussen owning the first half of this race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrX7D0mRqo&t=7s
Amazing strength here and really reminds me of his insane L-B-L win in 2015, controlling the break and winning the sprint. Only this time it looked so much, much more easy for El Don. One of the classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPKbCt1DOk
Gilbert 2011-esque explosion and grabbing yellow easily. I remember I was over the moon after some unlucky performances in the Tour, but as it turned out, this was unfortunately much of the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcnXcmvO9SA
This is absolute most classic Valverde it gets, maybe along with La Pandera 03. That Vuelta man.. great memories of some of the 3 greatest Spanish riders ever to duel it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkJ19Ik2uM
One of the most impressive of all his victories. Pretty amazing stuff, Valverde was a monster that day, dropping his own teamleader and easily finishing Purito, Froome and Contador off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJ_AbHifxc
Incredible win and his most well earned L-B-L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS48TUOtfr8
The only solo victory on this list. I still get goosebumps watching this, I had never thought.. he didn't breathe. Im glad I got to watch this, but it still saddens me that I will think of this stage and realise he didn't get to show it in TdF or the Vuelta.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

05 Nov 2017 21:38

The very first video you put up there is the day I picked him as my favorite rider. My husband introduced me to the sport 2 years earlier after we had gotten married. After watching for 2 years I was ready to pick my favorite and that stage and the way he beat Lance I knew he was the one I was going to cheer for going forward. You're right is sounding extremely confident going into next season. It's not in his DNA to be able to walk away from racing. It's very obvious how much he loves the sport. He can't let it go.
Thank you for posting some of your favorite victories of El Bala. Truthfully not surprising there is only 1 solo victory on your list as so many of his victories he's relied on his sprinting abilities.
User avatar Koronin

05 Nov 2017 21:54

Valverde already won Pais Vasco, job done. Let Landa target the race. He is the local boy after all.

I'd like to see Paris-Nice again. And I wonder if he could get away with a small group like last year on Poggio. The climb is on paper not hard enough but Alaphilippe was able to jump away with Kwai and Sagan after all.
WheelofGear

Re:

05 Nov 2017 23:38

WheelofGear wrote:Valverde already won Pais Vasco, job done. Let Landa target the race. He is the local boy after all.

I'd like to see Paris-Nice again. And I wonder if he could get away with a small group like last year on Poggio. The climb is on paper not hard enough but Alaphilippe was able to jump away with Kwai and Sagan after all.

Yes he did, and I agree that Landa being the local boy should get to target that race. However, I also remember Valverde saying that as the team leader you must race for your teammates once in awhile if you expect them to race for you and give you everything they have. He was supposed to go to Paris-Nice last year and didn't because he'd gotten sick. So maybe go this year and then Catalonia and let Landa have Pais Vasco to himself, which would be fair.
User avatar Koronin

05 Nov 2017 23:59

If he'll ride Paris-Nice he can't go to Strade Bianche where he can realistically win.
In MSR he doesn't stand a chance.
Nirvana

06 Nov 2017 10:51

I'd rather see him try Flanders than Sanremo. On paper, the steep, short hills of Flanders suit him well but cobbles might be a problem. In order to be one of the greatest versatile legends, he has to at least try his luck on the cobbles.

When you can podium a hardman race like Strade Bianche twice, you should be able to do well in Flanders. A climber riding with GVA/Stybar and dropping Vanmacke in a classics-like race is pretty convincing. A top 10 would be enough. He can't win it but he is such a good rider that I think he is one of the few riders who could top 10 it without having any experience in riding on the cobbles.
Velolover2

Re:

06 Nov 2017 14:40

Nirvana wrote:If he'll ride Paris-Nice he can't go to Strade Bianche where he can realistically win.
In MSR he doesn't stand a chance.

He would possibly end up in the front group last year...
User avatar Blanco

06 Nov 2017 15:15

Where there were riders faster than him in a flat sprint.
He should go with a rider like Nibali to win or solo, he's pretty fast compared to GT riders but in a flat sprint with fast classics guys he can't win, and the stronger in MSR are all fast men.
Nirvana

Re:

06 Nov 2017 15:39

Nirvana wrote:Where there were riders faster than him in a flat sprint.
He should go with a rider like Nibali to win or solo, he's pretty fast compared to GT riders but in a flat sprint with fast classics guys he can't win, and the stronger in MSR are all fast men.

He is faster than Alaphilippe and occasionally faster than Kwiatkowski. And like GVA and Kwai, he could outsprint a spent Sagan. In fact, he has done it before in the Vuelta.

The problem isn't his sprint against those guys but his ability to jump away with them on a relatively flat climb like Poggio. You need more raw power than climbing skills to do that. The likes of Kwai and Gilbert can do it, but I think Valverde is too light weight.
Velolover2

06 Nov 2017 16:58

Valverde doesn't like the final of MSR, he finds the descent of the Poggio too dangerous with all the tension around. He said it in multiple interviews some time ago.
Moviestar

06 Nov 2017 17:08

Velolover2 wrote:

He is faster than Alaphilippe and occasionally faster than Kwiatkowski. And like GVA and Kwai, he could outsprint a spent Sagan. In fact, he has done it before in the Vuelta.

The problem isn't his sprint against those guys but his ability to jump away with them on a relatively flat climb like Poggio. You need more raw power than climbing skills to do that. The likes of Kwai and Gilbert can do it, but I think Valverde is too light weight.

The stage of the Vuelta where he outsprinted Sagan had the last 500 metres uphill and an hard ramp in the last kilometres, it's completely different to a flat sprint. I remember Sagan in the post race interview saying that if he knew it was so hard the finale he didn't even try.
He can outsprint Sagan, Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski, Van Avermaet if is uphill not on the flat.

For this reason i think he should ride Strade Bianche, in a uphill finish like Siena he can win against fast classics riders and he doesn't have any problem in following them on the sterrato.
Nirvana

Re:

06 Nov 2017 20:54

Nirvana wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:

The stage of the Vuelta where he outsprinted Sagan had the last 500 metres uphill and an hard ramp in the last kilometres, it's completely different to a flat sprint. I remember Sagan in the post race interview saying that if he knew it was so hard the finale he didn't even try.
He can outsprint Sagan, Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski, Van Avermaet if is uphill not on the flat.

For this reason i think he should ride Strade Bianche, in a uphill finish like Siena he can win against fast classics riders and he doesn't have any problem in following them on the sterrato.

He out sprinted Kwiatkowski, Alaphilippe and Van Avermaet numerous times on the flat, so I don't know what you're talking about.
User avatar Blanco

06 Nov 2017 20:59

When?

I don't recall so, and when I check his wins since his ban, none of them (I'm 99% sure) were in a flat sprint against any of those three riders.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing