Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1032

15 Jan 2018 10:07

The primary problems with cobbled races are the narrow roads and the positional battle on the flat. He's just no Kwiat when it comes to that (so it's not just about size, though that matters greatly), but obviously no Alberto either. Sure, most bergs are too short for him to drop others, but if they were on big, wide roads, he wouldn't get dropped (as easily) either. Despite what some think they saw when he raced Dwaars and E3, he will never feature at the pointy end of a cobbled race.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

15 Jan 2018 10:11

Yeah, he planned to race it last year, got sick and then raced Pais Vasco instead. So while I love Strade Bianche and obviously would like my favourite rider to race that race, he really has unfinished business in Paris-Nice. You are right about the weather tho, thats not really his cup of tea, to put it mildly... so I guess both Landa and Quintana are racing Pais Vasco and since he won last year, he decided only to race Catalunya again. Which is understable since he has been the strongest rider the last 2 times he has ridden it and won 5 (?) stages.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

15 Jan 2018 10:33

Valv.Piti wrote:Yeah, he planned to race it last year, got sick and then raced Pais Vasco instead. So while I love Strade Bianche and obviously would like my favourite rider to race that race, he really has unfinished business in Paris-Nice. You are right about the weather tho, thats not really his cup of tea, to put it mildly... so I guess both Landa and Quintana are racing Pais Vasco and since he won last year, he decided only to race Catalunya again. Which is understable since he has been the strongest rider the last 2 times he has ridden it and won 5 (?) stages.

I wonder if he's factoring in the end of the season into his schedule. Last spring was great, entering loads of races and winning them all. But this year, surely the big goals (apart from LBL) are the Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia. So perhaps he's taking a bit of a lighter work load in spring, with the aim of really peaking in September. I think the last few years, he's always been running out of steam a bit post Vuelta.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re: Re:

15 Jan 2018 21:08

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:I think Quintana is leading Movistar in T-A but it actually suit Valverde better. He could easily win on top of the Trevi climb and the stage to Filottrano. The short, explosive TT also suit him well and Movistar is a great TTT team.

In PN, there is only really the stage to Sisteron which suit him very well.

You're right. Quintana is going to T-A. Valverde said after he raced it for the 2nd time in his career in 2016 that he was never going back to it.

Was he being a drama queen over the cancelled stage? :D

LOL, yes although not as bad as Nibali. He also said that the race was a complete and total waste of his time.
User avatar Koronin

15 Jan 2018 21:13

Koronin wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:I think Quintana is leading Movistar in T-A but it actually suit Valverde better. He could easily win on top of the Trevi climb and the stage to Filottrano. The short, explosive TT also suit him well and Movistar is a great TTT team.

You're right. Quintana is going to T-A. Valverde said after he raced it for the 2nd time in his career in 2016 that he was never going back to it.

LOL, yes although not as bad as Nibali. He also said that the race was a complete and total waste of his time.

To be fair, it was a complete disgrace...

Made worse by Sagan not winning.
User avatar tobydawq

15 Jan 2018 21:17

He's mentioned going back to Strade Bianche this year.

He does need to maybe race slightly less in the spring to be a bit fresher for the end of the season. Maybe Movistar is trying to figure out how to get him to the Worlds with less than 85 race days instead of around 90 race days. Truthfully just that by it's self may allow him to be just enough fresher than normal to win both it and Lombardia.
User avatar Koronin

15 Jan 2018 21:19

tobydawq wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:

To be fair, it was a complete disgrace...

Made worse by Sagan not winning.

I agree with you on that. I also happen to agree with both Nibali and Valverde on what they were saying about it. For some reason Nibali got all the attention and most people seemed to have ignored or not even noticed Valverde's comments.
User avatar Koronin

15 Jan 2018 21:38

Yeah, that was really a downer, especially after his great climbing in Andalucia just prior to the race.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

16 Jan 2018 02:15

Pinot would have won that TA.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

16 Jan 2018 03:11

Tonton wrote:Pinot would have won that TA.

Lol of course you think that! :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

23 Jan 2018 13:49

The legend will return to racing this week, probably on the 26th of January at Mallorca! Finally, the long wait to see him back in action is over.... He will race with Bennati, Amador, Arcas, Carretero, Rosón, Erviti and Rojas and I hope, nay, expect a victory in one of the races for Don Alejandro. :cool:
Edit: And Mikel Landa will also join in. Exciting times!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

23 Jan 2018 16:58

Valv.Piti wrote:The legend will return to racing this week, probably on the 26th of January at Mallorca! Finally, the long wait to see him back in action is over.... He will race with Bennati, Amador, Arcas, Carretero, Rosón, Erviti and Rojas and I hope, nay, expect a victory in one of the races for Don Alejandro. :cool:

Yes can't wait! Valencia next week as well and then Murcia - both of which i can watch live. May be able to get to Andalucia to see Landa as well which would be great.
User avatar mariposa

23 Jan 2018 17:47

mariposa wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:The legend will return to racing this week, probably on the 26th of January at Mallorca! Finally, the long wait to see him back in action is over.... He will race with Bennati, Amador, Arcas, Carretero, Rosón, Erviti and Rojas and I hope, nay, expect a victory in one of the races for Don Alejandro. :cool:

Yes can't wait! Valencia next week as well and then Murcia - both of which i can watch live. May be able to get to Andalucia to see Landa as well which would be great.

Aaaw.... Damn, I would like to watch Valverde on his home roads in Murcia. Never seen him live - watched the Tour twice in 2009 and 2011 (TTT and Pramartino) which he unfortunately couldn't participate in......
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

23 Jan 2018 19:54

The wait is almost over. I'm excited for him to be back racing. Wish I could fly to Spain to watch these races. I've only gotten to see one race in person and that was the 2015 Worlds in Richmond. Richmond is about a 4 hour drive from where I live.
If all the reports of his recovery are accurate it shouldn't take him long to be winning again. If he can pull of a win at Mallorca, I think that cements not just his legend, but also his myth.
Welcome back Don Alejandro!
Two pictures from Movistar's twitter account of our Bala!
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/955783651433832450
User avatar Koronin

24 Jan 2018 07:38

Valv.Piti wrote:
mariposa wrote:

Aaaw.... Damn, I would like to watch Valverde on his home roads in Murcia. Never seen him live - watched the Tour twice in 2009 and 2011 (TTT and Pramartino) which he unfortunately couldn't participate in......

I will try and get some photos. I'm not the greatest photographer in the world though they usually end up blurred as I decide to cheer instead of keeping still.
User avatar mariposa

24 Jan 2018 08:37

mariposa wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
mariposa wrote:

I will try and get some photos. I'm not the greatest photographer in the world though they usually end up blurred as I decide to cheer instead of keeping still.

Thanks, that would be great.

Will you be standing on Bermejo?
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Jan 2018 08:51

The new season is finally here! I think Bala will be strong in Mallorca. Beautiful roads there. Go and see a Race live, you don`t see anything comparing to the TV but the atmosphere is great.
User avatar Serpentin

24 Jan 2018 09:58

Well we never get to see anything on TV from Mallorca anyways, unless it has changed this year. The hilly races would be a good watch, I reckon..
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Jan 2018 13:40

I will try and get some photos. I'm not the greatest photographer in the world though they usually end up blurred as I decide to cheer instead of keeping still.[/quote]
Thanks, that would be great.

Will you be standing on Bermejo?[/quote]

No too cold up there for me. I have ridden half way up the climb and watched the race in the past and was absolutely frozen in full winter gear including 4 layers. There was fog on the Bermejo last year as well. I will be at the start and the finish though and a couple of places enroute.
User avatar mariposa

24 Jan 2018 18:32

Valv.Piti wrote:The legend will return to racing this week, probably on the 26th of January at Mallorca!

First race 25th of January - startlist
http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=Mjg0OTY=
Tim Booth

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing