Log in:  

Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
213
19%
Snow Storm
206
19%
Desert Storm
197
18%
Tornado
219
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
272
25%
 
Total votes : 1107

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

16 Jun 2018 20:04

Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

16 Jun 2018 20:14

"It was a very demanding stage, and even if the weather conditions were really good for most of it, the final section was foggy and slightly rainy, and made for dangerous descents – but it really wasn’t that big of a problem. At the final split with Navarro and Elissonde, I was able to stay calm and follow their moves without much suffering – we were going on the attack in the beginning, but later understood it was better to cooperate, at least before the final slopes. They tried to drop me back into the final section because they knew I would be faster into a sprint, but I was able to keep their pace and grab the win."
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

16 Jun 2018 20:34

Valv.Piti wrote:Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.



15 wins would equal his all-time win total for one season. To do that or break that at 38 would be crazy, but also would be so him.

I wouldn't worry too much about how he looked on that climb. He's usually more than happy to rely on his sprint for wins and that's what he did today. Yes a small race, but one that wasn't on his palmares before, so why not add it. Also I don't think he's that close to a peak right now. Maybe 75% maybe even less than that. He shouldn't be trying to peak at the Tour with the Vuelta/Worlds/Lombardia being bigger goals for him later and a 2nd peak then being a better idea than a 3rd peak like he usually does.
As for the descent, wouldn't be surprised if he's still be a bit more caution in bad weather because of last year's crash than he would have been before. Can't blame him for that. I agree I'm glad he choose this one over Suisse as well.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

16 Jun 2018 22:18

Valv.Piti wrote:Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he
didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.


Don't forget to add WRRC, WITTC, GdL, and Paris-Tours.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

16 Jun 2018 23:06

SHAD0W93 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he
didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.


Don't forget to add WRRC, WITTC, GdL, and Paris-Tours.



LOL, swap out WITTC for another San Sebastian.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

17 Jun 2018 04:03

I did forget CSS but why get rid of something when he can just win it all.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

17 Jun 2018 14:38

...and 11th, he's on top alone, again... Could've been 12th also, but nevertheless very good race from him.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,384
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

17 Jun 2018 15:16

Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:37

Koronin wrote:Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.

Are stats something that Americans really love? :D

Great racing today from El Imbatido, damn close to a pretty nice win. Too bad, but it bodes well!!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:41

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.

Are stats something that Americans really love? :D

Great racing today from El Imbatido, damn close to a pretty nice win. Too bad, but it bodes well!!


Yeah, stats are very ingrained in American sports fans. Baseball and American football are extremely stats heavy and to a fault are used to compare different players from not just the same era but different eras as well. Baseball is probably the worst for that. :D

Yes, his racing definitely bodes well for the rest of the season. Nice time off to recover from the first half and now time to come back and race again. He's definitely a bit off peak, but he should be. He shouldn't be aiming for his 2nd peak until the end of the Vuelta and then hold that through the Worlds and maybe, if lucky, through Lombardia. Plus racing here instead of the Duaphine or Suisse may keep him from being over raced by the time we get to the Worlds and Lombardia.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

17 Jun 2018 21:08

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.

Are stats something that Americans really love? :D

Great racing today from El Imbatido, damn close to a pretty nice win. Too bad, but it bodes well!!


Yes, we love stats and records.

If he wins Vuelta, Worlds, and GdL the forum will probably crash. :D
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

19 Jun 2018 20:18

User avatar KyoGrey
Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: 18 Jun 2015 21:57
Location: España

03 Jul 2018 20:13

Figure this is the most logical threat to put this is. Alejandro's amateur team announced today that they are adding an elite and U-23 team for next year to their line up of teams that currently includes a school (the young kids), cadet team and junior team. Here's the link to the twitter announcement:
https://twitter.com/Valverde_Team/status/1014112666946883584
This is the link to the announcement on their website (which is only in Spanish) http://www.valverdeteam.es/index.php/junior/valverde-team-terra-fecundis-dara-un-paso-mas-en-2019/

This is the announcement in Spanish:
El Club Ciclista Balaverde Team anuncia que, de cara a la próxima temporada, continuará con su plan de crecimiento y desarrollo en favor del ciclismo base impulsando la creación de un conjunto de categoría élite y sub 23. Esta formación se sumará a las ya existentes en los escalones júnior y cadete y a la escuela de casi cincuenta chicos y chicas con base de operaciones en la ciudad de Murcia. Esta nueva iniciativa propiciará que casi 100 ciclistas formen parte del proyecto deportivo a partir del curso 2019.

El paso ha sido posible gracias al apoyo de un grupo de patrocinadores que comparte la visión de los técnicos y del propio Alejandro Valverde: completar el largo proceso de formación y desarrollo iniciado en escuelas hasta el escalón previo al profesionalismo. De este modo, Valverde Team-Terra Fecundis se convertirá en uno de los pocos proyectos ciclistas en España que engloba bajo un mismo maillot a deportistas de todas las categorías base.

La empresa Terra Fecundis volverá a dar nombre a los diferentes equipos, apostando por un grupo humano liderado por el ciclista Alejandro Valverde, quien esta semana arranca con Movistar Team una nueva edición del Tour de Francia. Aunque uno de los principales objetivos continuará siendo brindar la oportunidad a jóvenes valores de la Región de Murcia, el proyecto también contará con deportistas de inestimable potencial procedentes de otras regiones.

Los técnicos de Valverde Team-Terra Fecundis trabajan en la confección de una plantilla que no será desvelada hasta próximas semanas y en un calendario de enjundia para su estreno en el competitivo escalón élite y sub 23.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

08 Jul 2018 15:55

Bala with the heavy-hitters at the end today, maybe his form is better than I thought...
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,384
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

08 Jul 2018 18:36

Proof he can still mix it up with the sprinters when he wants to.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

08 Jul 2018 18:49

What are the expectations for stages 5 and 6? Can he grab yellow if Moviestar performs well in in TTT?
Amazinmets87
Junior Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 12 May 2015 04:07

Re:

08 Jul 2018 19:05

Amazinmets87 wrote:What are the expectations for stages 5 and 6? Can he grab yellow if Moviestar performs well in in TTT?


I don't think so. I think Thomas will get in yellow tomorrow and defend it a very long time.

But Valverde could play for the stage on stage 6 (I think stage 5 is too easy, but he might surprise).
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

08 Jul 2018 21:45

Should we read anything into it? Maybe not, but its always nice to see him do so well on such a stage.

Lets see how much they will lose to Sky tomorrow - around one minute and I will be satisfied.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

08 Jul 2018 21:48

tobydawq wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:What are the expectations for stages 5 and 6? Can he grab yellow if Moviestar performs well in in TTT?


I don't think so. I think Thomas will get in yellow tomorrow and defend it a very long time.

But Valverde could play for the stage on stage 6 (I think stage 5 is too easy, but he might surprise).


I agree with this. Don't think Movistar can do well enough in the TTT to give him a shot at yellow on those two stages. However a stage win could be in cards.

My guess is either Tejay or Thomas are in yellow after tomorrow. Possible Gaviria could get yellow back if Quickstep can put in a really good TTT.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

08 Jul 2018 21:50

Valv.Piti wrote:Should we read anything into it? Maybe not, but its always nice to see him do so well on such a stage.

Lets see how much they will lose to Sky tomorrow - around one minute and I will be satisfied.



If they can limit their losses tomorrow to around 1 minute I think many of us will be happy.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], mojomonkey, roundabout, Tim Booth, tobydawq, Zinoviev Letter and 29 guests

Back to top