Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

Re:

01 Aug 2018 22:33

Zinoviev Letter wrote:He’s old. He may have taken a longer break than usual, followed it with a minor illness, and then found that what he expects to be his base shape wasn’t just there waiting for him as it has always previously been. The guy has basically never previously had to worry about managing form in the same way as most others so he may not be particularly good at it if he suddenly needs to.

Actually he did take a longer than normal break after LBL. He also didn't have an off season. So in truth his entire season this year has been screwed up from the start in that sense. However, his comment about his shape for whatever Rute de Sud is now was exactly what he was expecting it to be.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

02 Aug 2018 03:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Im sad, I would rather personally see a 100% Valverde in La Vuelta, but thats also selfish. If thats what he feels is best, so be it!

I'd rather see him 100% for Worlds and Lombardia as I'd rather see him win either of those than another Vuelta.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re: Re:

02 Aug 2018 06:45

jaylew wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Im sad, I would rather personally see a 100% Valverde in La Vuelta, but thats also selfish. If thats what he feels is best, so be it!

I'd rather see him 100% for Worlds and Lombardia as I'd rather see him win either of those than another Vuelta.

Valverde deserves a wc as a career ending.
toolittle

02 Aug 2018 09:14

toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

Probably. But this is his last chance and on this route he's just another name on the pile. His sprint won't count for much here.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Aug 2018 09:25

Red Rick wrote:
toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

Probably. But this is his last chance and on this route he's just another name on the pile. His sprint won't count for much here.

If not here, Tokyo Olympics.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

02 Aug 2018 10:57

Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

If not here, Tokyo Olympics.

No... Time is against him.
toolittle

02 Aug 2018 11:00

Red Rick wrote:
toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

Sprint ability keeps one wait wait wait and wait. Hesitate hesitate and hesitate.
When it comes to biggest race, wait and hesitate = loss.

Remember bardet's "Take a risk or loss a chance". Please don't "take no risk and loss agian."
toolittle

02 Aug 2018 11:24

Red Rick wrote:
toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

You never know, sprint is a deadly weapon, and if Valverde shows up in top form, he's very hard to drop.
User avatar Blanco

02 Aug 2018 15:47

Blanco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
toolittle wrote:
jaylew wrote:

You never know, sprint is a deadly weapon, and if Valverde shows up in top form, he's very hard to drop.

Agree. Finish first inside elite group but someone won the race.
toolittle

02 Aug 2018 18:43

Well, you have to race the race first and he won't do that.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2018 20:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Well, you have to race the race first and he won't do that.

He won't do what? Race the WC :confused:
User avatar Blanco

02 Aug 2018 20:03

Blanco wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Well, you have to race the race first and he won't do that.

He won't do what? Race the WC :confused:

Thought it was Classica
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

26 Aug 2018 16:19

Great win today! And he continues he crazy stat in the Vuelta: Since 2003 he has ridden 211 stages. The number of days he was outside the top 20? 4!!
Moviestar

Re:

26 Aug 2018 16:34

Moviestar wrote:Great win today! And he continues he crazy stat in the Vuelta: Since 2003 he has ridden 211 stages. The number of days he was outside the top 20? 4!!

Aye highly impressive from Bala again today, well deserved win and sets him up nicely for the coming GC squabbles!
Inquitus

26 Aug 2018 16:36

Excellent win today. He extends the record he already holds of most years between first and most recent win at la Vuelta. (That is going to be a very difficult record to break).
That crazy stat of 211 stages with only 4 finishes outside the top 20 is not just crazy, but is more proof of his crazy consistency. Surprisingly that is a stat I actually didn't know before yesterday.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

26 Aug 2018 16:45

Koronin wrote:Excellent win today. He extends the record he already holds of most years between first and most recent win at la Vuelta. (That is going to be a very difficult record to break).
That crazy stat of 211 stages with only 4 finishes outside the top 20 is not just crazy, but is more proof of his crazy consistency. Surprisingly that is a stat I actually didn't know before yesterday.

Not finishes, GC positions.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

26 Aug 2018 16:50

Koronin wrote:Excellent win today. He extends the record he already holds of most years between first and most recent win at la Vuelta. (That is going to be a very difficult record to break).

That is not what the stat is. Valverde has a lot of stage finishes outside the top 20. What the poster probably meant, was that he's had 4 days outside of the top 20 GC standings. From having a quick look at his results, it looks like most of those came in his debut in 2002. I can find one day outside the top 20 GC from 2003 onwards, and that is after the opening TTT in 2013.

Edit: Seems like he was outside the top 20 in the beginning of the 2004 Vuelta too, and had a lot of days outside the top 20 in 2002. So it must be in his last 211 stages that he's been outside the top 20 for four days.
Last edited by Squire on 26 Aug 2018 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Squire

26 Aug 2018 16:52

TY guys.
User avatar Koronin

26 Aug 2018 17:11

What an absolutely terrific win!! Totally reminiscent of his 2015 Liege-win where he played Purito and Katusha. Really hoping he can grab the jersey on Tuesday.

El Imbatido, I love you :D
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

26 Aug 2018 18:13

Valv.Piti wrote:What an absolutely terrific win!! Totally reminiscent of his 2015 Liege-win where he played Purito and Katusha. Really hoping he can grab the jersey on Tuesday.

El Imbatido, I love you :D

Really a brilliant win. He utterly smashed Kwiatkowski, given that Valverde started his effort from like 500m out in pursuit of De Plus, was in control enough to lure Kwiat onto the front w/ what, like 170m to go, and then just motored by him. Glorious.
Last edited by joe_papp on 26 Aug 2018 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing