Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

17 Sep 2018 15:13

He said yesterday he's racing the Giro and Vuelta next year. I'm hoping with the Giro it will be as mentor/teacher/guide to Carapaz and Soler and go for some stages. Then let him have one more shot at the historic podium in his beloved Vuelta.

I really hope he can recover for the Worlds.
User avatar Koronin

17 Sep 2018 15:21

Oh, who honestly cares about the number of podiums in the Vuelta?

I have never seen Valverde talk about that. I have seen you mention it a thousand times, though.
User avatar tobydawq

17 Sep 2018 15:31

I think only Carapaz and Valv should go to the Giro in some kind of duel leadership. Maybe Valverde feels like mentoring Carapaz and just hunting stage early on, who knows, it depends. Then you have Soiler, Landa and Quintana for the Tour. And then you see who is ready for La Vuelta.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:41

tobydawq wrote:Oh, who honestly cares about the number of podiums in the Vuelta?

I have never seen Valverde talk about that. I have seen you mention it a thousand times, though.

Or the famous points jersey record :lol:
User avatar Blanco

Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:42

Valv.Piti wrote:I think only Carapaz and Valv should go to the Giro in some kind of duel leadership. Maybe Valverde feels like mentoring Carapaz and just hunting stage early on, who knows, it depends. Then you have Soiler, Landa and Quintana for the Tour. And then you see who is ready for La Vuelta.

Either way I really think Valverde should be doing to the Giro in a mentoring role. Yeah, let him go stage hunting if he wants.
User avatar Koronin

17 Sep 2018 15:46

He'll go for GC if he rides the Giro and he will do it well.

The guy just almost won the Vuelta without apparent GC ambitions, and you're talking about him as if he is past it.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:57

tobydawq wrote:He'll go for GC if he rides the Giro and he will do it well.

The guy just almost won the Vuelta without apparent GC ambitions, and you're talking about him as if he is past it.

It depends on how hard of a spring he has in mind, obviously.. but yeah, chances are he will target the GC regardless. You also gotta remember the Giro most likely will have some serious mountain stages.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2018 15:59

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:He'll go for GC if he rides the Giro and he will do it well.

It depends on how hard of a spring he has in mind, obviously.. but yeah, chances are he will target the GC regardless. You also gotta remember the Giro most likely will have some serious mountain stages.

The altitude is where his GC ambitions are going to suffer. We're looking at this realistically. I'm sure he will go for GC regardless. When he said he was going to the Tour to stage hunt he still ended up riding for GC.
User avatar Koronin

17 Sep 2018 16:36

Movistar are fair dinkum and they point Soler to the Vuelta to give him his first taste of GC riding.
yaco

17 Sep 2018 17:11

He should never target the GC in any GT again. Just go for stages. He promised to target Flanders and a cobbles campaign next year but I doubt he will ride them at all.
Velolover2

17 Sep 2018 18:17

I'd be down with Valverde for the Giro. Soler riding for GC should be interesting.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

17 Sep 2018 19:32

Red Rick wrote:I'd be down with Valverde for the Giro. Soler riding for GC should be interesting.

What's the over/under on the team telling him to shut up he's riding the Tour? I took December in the polls
User avatar GuyIncognito

17 Sep 2018 20:21

Blanco wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Oh, who honestly cares about the number of podiums in the Vuelta?

Or the famous points jersey record :lol:

May be more people than in borefest called TdF.
User avatar lartiste

17 Sep 2018 20:21

I think smart thing to do is to peak for the classics (Ardennes, and yes De Ronde :) ) and then rode on that form throughout the Giro, targeting stage wins in the first half, and helping team leader (who ever that is) in the second half. In the second part Vuelta of course, then WC and Lombardia.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

18 Sep 2018 06:41

Blanco wrote:I think smart thing to do is to peak for the classics (Ardennes, and yes De Ronde :) ) and then rode on that form throughout the Giro, targeting stage wins in the first half, and helping team leader (who ever that is) in the second half. In the second part Vuelta of course, then WC and Lombardia.

Something like that, but Valverde is Valverde, so his form can probably carry him throughout the Giro.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

20 Sep 2018 22:52

Whose ready for Bala in rainbows?

I don't think I have ever anticipated a one day race this much. And Im gonna miss the first half, those kinda races I like to watch in full.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

20 Sep 2018 23:32

Valv.Piti wrote:Whose ready for Bala in rainbows?

I don't think I have ever anticipated a one day race this much. And Im gonna miss the first half, those kinda races I like to watch in full.

It's well past time Bala completes his set of medals for the Worlds by adding the gold and of course along with that is the rainbow jersey.

I can say I was anticipating the 2015 Worlds more because it's the only race I've ever gotten to go to, thanks to that one having been about a 4 hour drive for us.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

21 Sep 2018 02:06

Valv.Piti wrote:Whose ready for Bala in rainbows?

I’m not ready in the sense that he’s a rider I love to watch. I’m ready in the sense of its almost a no brainer. He better not mess this up. He’s really got an amazing shot...Nibali would have been a true pain, but....Valverde has to win.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

21 Sep 2018 06:48

I'm afraid that the race will become more of a tactical battle, with strongest teams sending their 2nd and 3rd cards into the late moves. That would benefit France, Italy, Colombia and Netherlands. Valverde could be trapped behind in that case. But if he arrives with the main guys to the bottom of that Hell climb, I'm confident he'll get at least one medal...
User avatar Blanco

21 Sep 2018 10:20

Spain also has a pretty strong team and can send Mas up the road, but yeah, Valverde seems very susceptible to get on the wrong side of the split on very aggressively ridden races (on the biggest races).
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing