Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

Re: Re:

07 Oct 2018 15:50

Koronin wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:I think he slow-pedal in Tre Valli Varesine to save to energy and enjoy his new rainbow.

If he is in Worlds shape, I can't see him losing on Superga (a perfect climb for him) unless a late attacker like De Marchi yesterday surprises.

Lombardia is more difficult to control. I'd be very surprised if he wins it.

I'm not sure he knows how to do that.

I don't know if he can win Lombardia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one of the two pre races and equals his 2004 (thought it was 2003 but it's 2004) win total of 15 wins. That was amazing if he could do that. 15 wins near the start of his career when he was looking ahead to a bright future and now in that later part of his career when he's already had a wonderful career and is now just racing because he still dearly loves to.

Of course he can, but another question is will he? He should've won it already in 2014 but screwed big time, and he might had won it in his absence years 2007-2012. Maybe this is the year.

If he still has the proper mindset after this big success he is the favorite for the win.

Ok, you're right he can, however, he may not.

Not worried about his mindset. He loves racing. The question is how much training has he been able to get in this week.

I think it doesn't matter much. He's in good shape and staying somewhat fresh is what's most important at the moment. The high-intensity he will get in Tre Valli and Milano-Torino.

It's time to delete another ugly gap in that palmarès of his.

And thanks for the nice words, Valv - I knew you'd like it :)
User avatar tobydawq

07 Oct 2018 15:56

tobydawq wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:I think he slow-pedal in Tre Valli Varesine to save to energy and enjoy his new rainbow.

If he is in Worlds shape, I can't see him losing on Superga (a perfect climb for him) unless a late attacker like De Marchi yesterday surprises.

Lombardia is more difficult to control. I'd be very surprised if he wins it.

I'm not sure he knows how to do that.

I don't know if he can win Lombardia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one of the two pre races and equals his 2004 (thought it was 2003 but it's 2004) win total of 15 wins. That was amazing if he could do that. 15 wins near the start of his career when he was looking ahead to a bright future and now in that later part of his career when he's already had a wonderful career and is now just racing because he still dearly loves to.

Of course he can, but another question is will he? He should've won it already in 2014 but screwed big time, and he might had won it in his absence years 2007-2012. Maybe this is the year.

If he still has the proper mindset after this big success he is the favorite for the win.

Ok, you're right he can, however, he may not.

Not worried about his mindset. He loves racing. The question is how much training has he been able to get in this week.

I think it doesn't matter much. He's in good shape and staying somewhat fresh is what's most important at the moment. The high-intensity he will get in Tre Valli and Milano-Torino.

It's time to delete another ugly gap in that palmarès of his.

And thanks for the nice words, Valv - I knew you'd like it :)[/quote]

With him, you may very well be correct. He'll get some good training in the two pre races. Yes, it is time to add Lombardia to his palmares.
User avatar Koronin

07 Oct 2018 16:26

Not too bad, but I hope he will wear black leg and arm warmers. And if they could make the text on the jersey black, that would be great as well.

A proper worlds kit must not contain any other major colours than black, white and the coloured stripes.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re:

07 Oct 2018 17:17

Cance > TheRest wrote:Not too bad, but I hope he will wear black leg and arm warmers. And if they could make the text on the jersey black, that would be great as well.

A proper worlds kit must not contain any other major colours than black, white and the coloured stripes.

This is Movistar we're talking about. They are great at screwing up any and every championship jersey they possibly can. They won't put the Sponsor name in black, if anything they would use the darker blue if they didn't use the light blue.
User avatar Koronin

07 Oct 2018 18:51

They could at least put the stylized "M" in the same colour as the blue stripe, then the rest of the text in black. The slightly different shades of blue sit off with me.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

07 Oct 2018 19:02

Is this the official jersey, or just one for commercial reasons? Because I thought sponsor logos had to be black, but I can't find it back in the official rules.

Edit: I just searched for some pictures of Sagan, and there the Hansgrohe logo was green, so I guess I was wrong.
User avatar Popchu

09 Oct 2018 00:11

According to a report from Eurosport (Spanish version) Valverde had a lot of say on the his kit for the last few races of the season. He had a hand in the design of the jersey and wanted black shorts.
User avatar Koronin

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

09 Oct 2018 13:25

Bala looks Grand in the Rainbow :). Nice ceremonies for him at the race start.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 13:37

Yes he does. I actually like the Movistar 'M' on the back above the stripes.

Edit: I actually love the 'M' there. Looks really good from the heli.
Last edited by jaylew on 09 Oct 2018 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

09 Oct 2018 13:44

jaylew wrote:Yes he does. I actually like the Movistar 'M' on the back above the stripes.

I think MoviStar made a great Rainbow for him :)
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 15:01

Yeah, it looks good in-race. Pretty happy about that, he looks stylish. Didn't went all out today, lets wait till tomorrow, but would be very surprised if he isn't in great shape as usual tbh. Then a couple of days of rest and then hopefully finally a Lombardia win.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

09 Oct 2018 16:34

Libertine Seguros wrote:They could at least put the stylized "M" in the same colour as the blue stripe, then the rest of the text in black. The slightly different shades of blue sit off with me.

This didn't really stand out for me when I first glanced at the kit, but of course you're right. I can't imagine Movistar changing a major component of their branding (logo color) to match the blue stripe of the WC rainbow, however.

Regardless, I really like the kit. It's stylish but properly understated. And black shorts - whew!! Love the white arm warmers.

I used to think that I really liked Cadel Evans's 2009 WC kit that he wore at Lombardia for Lotto, but I realize now the shorts w/ even that much white look silly. Thankfully Valverde must be a traditionalist! lol

joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

09 Oct 2018 16:35

Actually, now that I look at it again, the "M" on his back does jar a bit, doesn't it?

joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

09 Oct 2018 17:31

Oh he looks miles better than Cadel, but that probably also has something to do with Valverde generally is looking much more stylish on a bike (with a helmet and glasses, cause, hair or lack thereof.....) than Evans and just about everyone in the peloton. Those shoe covers are also horrible tho and certainly doesn't help Cadel either.

Lets hope Valv doesn't have to bust out shoe covers on Saturday, but the shark will probably pull his voodoo and make it raaaain
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

09 Oct 2018 17:33

Valv.Piti wrote:Oh he looks miles better than Cadel, but that probably also has something to do with Valverde generally is looking much more stylish on a bike (with a helmet and glasses, cause, hair or lack thereof.....) than Evans and just about everyone in the peloton. Those shoe covers are also horrible tho and certainly doesn't help Cadel either.

Lets hope Valv doesn't have to bust out shoe covers on Saturday, but the shark will probably pull his voodoo and make it raaaain

Ya boy is World Champ. Now is the time to have higher standards for style than Cadel Evans.

And rain it will. Just received all the necessary ingredients for the blood magic to make it happen. :p
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Oct 2018 19:00

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Oh he looks miles better than Cadel, but that probably also has something to do with Valverde generally is looking much more stylish on a bike (with a helmet and glasses, cause, hair or lack thereof.....) than Evans and just about everyone in the peloton. Those shoe covers are also horrible tho and certainly doesn't help Cadel either.

Ya boy is World Champ. Now is the time to have higher standards for style than Cadel Evans.

And rain it will. Just received all the necessary ingredients for the blood magic to make it happen. :p

Then tell your shark to start moving before he drowns
User avatar GuyIncognito

09 Oct 2018 21:29

Apparantly Valverde is scheduled to race Piemonte after Turin on Thursday which only leaves 1 day of rest before Lombardia on Saturday. I really don't think he has been much on his bike after the Worlds, he wants to get a few decent trainings in before Lombardia it seems. Seems a bit odd tho, but he recovers extremely well between races.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 21:35

Piemonte has been turned into a completely flat sprinters race this year. It'll be active recovery.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

09 Oct 2018 21:43

GuyIncognito wrote:Piemonte has been turned into a completely flat sprinters race this year. It'll be active recovery.

Ah ok, then it makes perfect sense to do that
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Oct 2018 22:02

As long as he finishes in the top 50, I don't care.

In Piemonte that is.
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing