Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

09 Oct 2018 22:23

Obviously he wants some good training rides. He said he hasn't been able to train like he prefers since he won due to all the ceremonies and celebrations (which he has also enjoyed). I'm wondering if he's decided the best way to train is to race since they can't have him doing celebrations or ceremonies while he's racing.

The kit looks great, especially now that he has white arm warmers. I'm very glad he wanted the black shorts. A classic look. The M on the back the way it's done works with the kit. He looks great in the kit, but well he looks good anyway even with his hair loss.
User avatar Koronin

10 Oct 2018 15:00

Maybe he could've done better if didn't forcing so much., but nevertheless good performance. Not perfect though, he's leaving that for Saturday :razz:
User avatar Blanco

10 Oct 2018 15:29

Strong ride today but he was a bit too eager. Why wasting energy on attacking on the penultimate climb when M-T always come down to the last Superga? Training before Lombardia?
Velolover2

10 Oct 2018 16:25

When he waits for the sprint he's called a wheel sucker. When he attacks he's crticized for wasting energy and being too eager. He just can't win.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

10 Oct 2018 16:29

Velolover2 wrote:Strong ride today but he was a bit too eager. Why wasting energy on attacking on the penultimate climb when M-T always come down to the last Superga? Training before Lombardia?

This is basically Valverde when riding 'smallar' races or plain training for a race (remember Dauphine 17). When he is in that state of mind, he is actually super aggressive.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

10 Oct 2018 17:05

Angliru wrote:When he waits for the sprint he's called a wheel sucker. When he attacks he's crticized for wasting energy and being too eager. He just can't win.

He can Win plenty; people just whine no matter how he does it :).
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 17:16

Regardless of what happened today, he looks in proper form and is the number one favorite for GdL. Not sure about the team though, useless in the races this week, is Quintana riding for him? He might find himself alone after Sormano.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 18:19

Does anyone have good pictures of Valverde in the rainbow jersey? Asking for a friend... :p
«Sky helped for the GC, so did BMC - a lot of teams tried but one rider isn't enough. Not against De Gendt. He's like 10 riders.»
Oude Geuze

10 Oct 2018 20:42

Just watched the race, I didnt know to what extent Valverde animated the race... pretty incredible watching him on that first ascent on Superga. That was clearly a case of getting a good, repeated effort in, pretty similar to efforts required to climbing Ghisallo and Sormano (altho the latter obviously is harder than Superga overall).
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

10 Oct 2018 21:33

"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 21:39

Valv.Piti wrote:Image

You know, I'd think like white handlebars and some bike work would look really cool
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Oct 2018 21:57

Valv.Piti wrote:Just watched the race, I didnt know to what extent Valverde animated the race... pretty incredible watching him on that first ascent on Superga. That was clearly a case of getting a good, repeated effort in, pretty similar to efforts required to climbing Ghisallo and Sormano (altho the latter obviously is harder than Superga overall).

He looked otherworldly all day today until suddenly he didn’t. As you note, he won’t ride like that at Lombardia and he will be super strong.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

10 Oct 2018 22:25

To me, Valverde is THE favorite on Saturday. Showed up yesterday still wiping petit-fours crumbs from the side of his mouth, tourist, show the kit, going for a training ride...and he looked good. One day later, yes, a bit short in the end, but he attacked and beat all but two riders on the day. And the field was loaded. Clearly, he'll be in top-shape at the GDL. He's the guy who peaks 350 days out of the year, after all :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

10 Oct 2018 23:48

He said on twitter after the race that today's race was just for fun and to put on a show. He said something about maybe he could have won if he'd have saved some energy, but he just wanted to have fun today. I agree with Valv.Piti, when he shows up for a race that he's using for training and to have fun, this is exactly how he races. It was so sweet to see him on the podium in the rainbow jersey. That was awesome! He's definitely still on some great form. He's got to be the favorite for Lombardia. I just hope he gets a bit better support form his team because they were no where to be found today.
User avatar Koronin

11 Oct 2018 00:28

Pictures for the person that asked:

User avatar Koronin

11 Oct 2018 08:02

Yes, he was super strong yesterday and obviously hasn't lost much form. The last climb to Superga just got 1-2 km too long, but that was to be expected after watching him in from of the peloton on the whole first climb and afterwards doing what looked like an incredible hard bridge to the FDJ-guys. Gaudu was riding at a super, super hard pace.

Skips Piemonte after all, maybe it rains and bit or maybe it was a mistake in the first hand. Think he is pretty confident about Lombardia now.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 08:29

My guess is that Piemonte was the plan if he hadn't been good yesterday.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

11 Oct 2018 11:34

Koronin wrote:Pictures for the person that asked:

It's a shame they didn't get a bike with the bands sorted in time. I'm assuming they're doing one because the Movistar blue basically matches the top band on the jersey, so makes it easy to turn on it's side, keep the fork and headtube blue and paint the rest of the bands on the frame.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2018 00:18

King Boonen wrote:
Koronin wrote:Pictures for the person that asked:

It's a shame they didn't get a bike with the bands sorted in time. I'm assuming they're doing one because the Movistar blue basically matches the top band on the jersey, so makes it easy to turn on it's side, keep the fork and headtube blue and paint the rest of the bands on the frame.

I would hope they'll get him one for next year. You're right with the top band matching the blue they use for their colors you'd think they could come up with a really cool looking bike.
User avatar Koronin

12 Oct 2018 03:58

I've read on the Italian forum that yesterday Radiocorsa had a long interview with him, I'll try to find some replay or at least an exscript, apparently he talked also about next year programs.
Nirvana

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing