Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

12 Oct 2018 04:02

A transcript would be great if you can find that.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2018 12:54

King Boonen wrote:It's a shame they didn't get a bike with the bands sorted in time. I'm assuming they're doing one because the Movistar blue basically matches the top band on the jersey, so makes it easy to turn on it's side, keep the fork and headtube blue and paint the rest of the bands on the frame.

his bike for Il Lombardia
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1050697109824004096
Tim Booth

12 Oct 2018 18:21

New bike is cool. Although I would expect a bit different design for next year's bike as they'll have more time to play with the design.
User avatar Koronin

12 Oct 2018 19:31

Hopefully they'll fix the jersey for next year as well. That light blue color really doesn't look good.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

Re:

12 Oct 2018 21:48

Koronin wrote:A transcript would be great if you can find that.

Mostly fluff questions about how it feels to wear the jersey, recognition on the streets, ceremonies, who are the main candidates for Lombardia, etc. You can guess all those questions and their respective answers.

Now, the more interesting bits:

- Knew he was throwing away any chance of winning Milano-Torino by attacking but felt he had to honor the jersey

- Next year's calendar depends on the team's approval but he'd like to do Abu Dhabi ( :rolleyes: ), Murcia, Catalunya and the Giro, skip the Tour. No mention of any other races, positive or negative. Doesn't want to retire without doing another Giro. This last part wasn't because he was speaking with italian media, he said the same to ciclismoafondo today.

Hugo Koblet wrote:Hopefully they'll fix the jersey for next year as well. That light blue color really doesn't look good.

Yeah, I'm shocked the UCI allowed that. To be clear for those who may not have noticed, Movistar changed the hue of the rainbow's blue stripe to the sponsor's shade of blue
User avatar GuyIncognito

12 Oct 2018 22:45

GuyIncognito wrote:

Mostly fluff questions about how it feels to wear the jersey, recognition on the streets, ceremonies, who are the main candidates for Lombardia, etc. You can guess all those questions and their respective answers.

- Knew he was throwing away any chance of winning Milano-Torino by attacking but felt he had to honor the jersey

- Next year's calendar depends on the team's approval but he'd like to do Abu Dhabi ( :rolleyes: ), Murcia, Catalunya and the Giro, skip the Tour. No mention of any other races, positive or negative. Doesn't want to retire without doing another Giro. This last part wasn't because he was speaking with italian media, he said the same to ciclismoafondo today.

Hugo Koblet wrote:Hopefully they'll fix the jersey for next year as well. That light blue color really doesn't look good.

Yeah, I'm shocked the UCI allowed that. To be clear for those who may not have noticed, Movistar changed the hue of the rainbow's blue stripe to the sponsor's shade of blue

I already know the answers to part of first set due to other comments he's made along with talking with mutual friends.

Why Abu Dhabi? I'd rather him go back to Andalucia. I doubt the team would even think of preventing him from racing Murcia as that's his home race. I think most of us would prefer he skips the Tours. He's said that before. TY for the interesting points of the interview.
User avatar Koronin

13 Oct 2018 01:51

GuyIncognito wrote:

Have you found a video or a text of the interview?
I searched the Raisport website but i found only this little preview.
http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/media/Il-mondiale-secondo-Valverde-4b4ba391-e53a-4150-9bdf-7f9d0778ba0e.html
Nirvana

13 Oct 2018 15:27

Valverde finishes as no.1 at the UCI Worldrankings.
Moviestar

13 Oct 2018 15:34

I think the peaking for 9 months a year may be a bit done, but he did get the big one right this time.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Oct 2018 15:41

A bit disappointing obviously, but in hindsight theres nothing to say really. Its understandable, he is only human. Theres no doubt in my mind he would have done better without the WC win, probably finished 3rd, but no way to follow Pinot today even with an optimal prep. Everything after the Worlds was always meant to be a bonus
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Oct 2018 16:32

The curse of the raibow jersey strikes again.

Joking aside, does this WC win actually maybe take some of his motivation for training away for next year? It was the one he's always wanted, so it may mean he is now more relaxed and won't have another year long peak.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

13 Oct 2018 16:35

Brullnux wrote:The curse of the raibow jersey strikes again.

Joking aside, does this WC win actually maybe take some of his motivation for training away for next year? It was the one he's always wanted, so it may mean he is now more relaxed and won't have another year long peak.

I don't think motivation has ever been a problem for him.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Oct 2018 16:53

I simply think that how the race exploded early and this course in general aren't too well suited for Valverde.
And mostly too many distraction after the Worlds, hard to concentrate and train well after such a huge win.
Told you that his form looked to go down in Mi-To.
He'll certainly try next year, if it comes in Bergamo it's even better for him imho.
User avatar Climbing

13 Oct 2018 17:21

Motivation has never been a problem for him. The team's psychologist when asked specifically about motivating him, said Valverde is the easiest person on the planet to motivate. All you have to do is hand him his bike, tell him when the race starts and point him in the direction of the start line. This industry wouldn't need guys like me if everyone was as easy to motivate as him. He's said multiple times he just loves to race, so motivation isn't going to be an issue. He still loves racing and winning the WC isn't going to change that. If anything the last of the pressure on him has been removed and he is fully free to race without anymore pressure at all.

He said after today's race that he's not at all disappointed and couldn't be after the great season he's had. I'm of the opinion his head is still in the clouds from having won the WC and it's going to take some time for him to come back to earth. By the start of next year he'll be back to his normal self.
User avatar Koronin

13 Oct 2018 17:35

I think he has gone through this whole season without one single crash. I wonder how rare that is in the professional peloton.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

13 Oct 2018 17:49

tobydawq wrote:I think he has gone through this whole season without one single crash. I wonder how rare that is in the professional peloton.

That's impressive. I think you're right. He did say something about the only way he would have been disappointed with today's result was if he had crashed and had to DNF.
User avatar Koronin

13 Oct 2018 22:59

Thought you all would like to see this picture from before Lombardia today.

User avatar Koronin

14 Oct 2018 13:37

So I gather the UCI hasn't hanged anyone yet for that jersey. Figures.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

14 Oct 2018 16:16

hrotha wrote:So I gather the UCI hasn't hanged anyone yet for that jersey. Figures.

They had to have gotten it approved. Although I expect some tweaking of it for next year. Somehow they managed to get the UCI to approve the blue stripe being the same as their sponsors color.

As for the rainbow curse, yeah, Sagan proved it's not real. I except BalaArcoíris to get his average of 8 wins next year. (Arcoíris is the Spanish word for rainbow.)
User avatar Koronin

14 Oct 2018 16:51

It doesn't look like the same color to me. It looks like the same color normally used for the worlds jersey imo.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing