Register

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Dec 2017 21:01

He can do well in the one week races, however, Movistar and their Spanish GC boys will have a major say on who wins the Spanish 1 week and shorter races. Swiss, California, maybe Poland are ones he could do very well at and possibly win.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

31 Dec 2017 08:03

movingtarget wrote:
Urbi27 wrote:Come on, that was an example of how to say beautifully that you have stopped believing in someone. TJ will be no more GT leader and the whole season will be subordinated to Porte. Of course if Riche will have some problems in one week race and TJ will be able to gain a decent result no one will stop him. For sure he will have less freedom and less support in BMC as a leader.

Richie rarely has problems in one week races as his record shows but the GTs are where he needs TJVG to step up and give him some support. If Caruso gets dropped Porte has no one usually. Richie only has one race in his sights at the moment.

It's a bit of irony that all help the one inconsistent GT GC rider has is another inconsistent GT GC rider...
But my guts tell me that this will be the year for Porte to shine as Froome will be out. Another problem with Porte always was that he was so used to ride for Froome, that he continued to do so even after he left Sky. Now this problem could be solved.
repre

01 Jan 2018 05:17

repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Urbi27 wrote:Come on, that was an example of how to say beautifully that you have stopped believing in someone. TJ will be no more GT leader and the whole season will be subordinated to Porte. Of course if Riche will have some problems in one week race and TJ will be able to gain a decent result no one will stop him. For sure he will have less freedom and less support in BMC as a leader.

Richie rarely has problems in one week races as his record shows but the GTs are where he needs TJVG to step up and give him some support. If Caruso gets dropped Porte has no one usually. Richie only has one race in his sights at the moment.

It's a bit of irony that all help the one inconsistent GT GC rider has is another inconsistent GT GC rider...
But my guts tell me that this will be the year for Porte to shine as Froome will be out. Another problem with Porte always was that he was so used to ride for Froome, that he continued to do so even after he left Sky. Now this problem could be solved.

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS. If Froome breaks away and Porte is the only one who can go with him, the chances are they are going to work together a certain amount if they want to keep the advantage. Sky and Porte critics see what they want to see.
movingtarget
Veteran

01 Jan 2018 10:25

movingtarget wrote:
repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS. If Froome breaks away and Porte is the only one who can go with him, the chances are they are going to work together a certain amount if they want to keep the advantage. Sky and Porte critics see what they want to see.

It is not like been before, but i think somewhere very deep inside Porte's head there is an instinct to work for somebody named Chriss.
repre

01 Jan 2018 11:00

movingtarget wrote:
repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS.

The way Porte reacted in interviews it was clear that the best friends thing was one sided from the beginning. I guess this relevation was no surprise for non-sky-fans.
User avatar rote_laterne

02 Jan 2018 00:02

movingtarget wrote:
repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Sorry but why does froome wanting to win the Dauphine has to do anything with his relation to Porte?
drebelo

02 Jan 2018 04:07

drebelo wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Sorry but why does froome wanting to win the Dauphine has to do anything with his relation to Porte?

Some fans seem to think that Porte will always work for Froome implying that they don't mind helping each other. Usually it's been more to do with the circumstances of the race. Froome was not helping Porte at all in the Dauphine he contributed to Porte losing the race.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Jan 2018 18:16

drebelo wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
repre wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Sorry but what does this have to do with Tejay?
jmdirt

Re: Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

04 Mar 2018 16:32

he crashed and abandons Paris-Nice. now in hospital for checks. I feel very much for him. dire luck
pastronef

04 Mar 2018 16:34

He didnt look that bad after the crash, I wonder if other riders had continued...
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

04 Mar 2018 16:44

It's too bad Tejay couldn't carry his good form to Paris - Nice, I think he could have gotten a good result had he not abandoned.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

04 Mar 2018 17:20

A real pity for him. I hope it’s nothing serious.
User avatar Moviefan1203

04 Mar 2018 18:29

I honestly never expected anything from him. It sounds pessimistic since he is not even 30 but I think his days a GC rider is over. He should become a great stage hunter like Rolland and only target GC in home races such as California.

Dylan Teuns is BMC's new Crown Prince after King Porte. He have the potential to become a new Dan Martin. Great in classics, one week races and puncher-friendly Grand Tours (The Vuelta) ..
Velolover2

04 Mar 2018 18:31

USA's Gesink
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

04 Mar 2018 18:57

I didn't expect a lot from him, but I definitely did not expect a DNF from him on the first stage. Thought he would at least finish the race.
User avatar Koronin

04 Mar 2018 18:58

That's too bad for him. He's overall luck is pretty bad. I'm sure he was looking forward to this race too.
Son of Amsterhammer

04 Mar 2018 19:25

Between him and Porte, man, it's one thing after another. I agree with most comments here: his GC days are over, but he can still win some big ones (as in stages).
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

04 Mar 2018 20:59

So, the crash we saw wasn't the reason for his abandon.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-out-of-paris-nice-after-double-crashes/
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

04 Mar 2018 21:38

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:USA's Gesink

Great analogy!

At some point, either TVG or Robert Gesink will take 4th in a Grand Tour, or maybe even both of them will before their careers are over for good. For now, they're going to be looked at with the same interest level as Carlos Betancur, as the most talented loser of the decade.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

04 Mar 2018 22:55

That cleared what Valv-Piti wrote. I was also confused because he didn't look that bad after the first crash.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing