Register

BMC in disarray?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

24 Apr 2018 07:56

Astana also seems to be in doubt for the future if their funds are locked up in legal disputes. If BMC and Astana folded that would be a huge blow to the sport.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Apr 2018 08:38

Astana fundings from Kazakhstan has been given to the team circa a month ago (also for 2019).
Nirvana

Re:

24 Apr 2018 13:39

Nirvana wrote:Astana fundings from Kazakhstan has been given to the team circa a month ago (also for 2019).

Okay. I didn't hear about that.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Apr 2018 13:46

Smaller teams and issues re BMC mean alot of good riders could be retiring earlier than planned I'd say

I know UAE are wanting to build the best team so they will be after GVA , Porte and probably a few super doms like Caruso & Roche
Teuns will have no trouble and neither will Dennis
TeJay will find it tough if looking for a staring role
HelloDolly

17 May 2018 06:39

Peter Cossins Retweeted Raymond Kerckhoffs
BMC will become Deloitte-Giant next season according to De Telegraaf. Almost certainly this also means that Deloitte won't be involved with Dimension Data
User avatar claude cat

17 May 2018 08:09

And I read somewhere that Cervélo was interested in sponsoring Sunweb. So Dimension Data will ride BMC next year?
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

17 May 2018 08:11

I also read that Deloitte are basically the ones covering Cav's salary, so he might be moving to the new team?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 May 2018 09:34

GenericBoonenFan wrote:And I read somewhere that Cervélo was interested in sponsoring Sunweb. So Dimension Data will ride BMC next year?

I dont think it´s a swap of bike sponsor. now that Andy Rihs is dead, his family (or BMC_factory co-owners) might not be interested in supplying bikes to an expensive pro team
pastronef

Re: Re:

17 May 2018 10:05

pastronef wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:And I read somewhere that Cervélo was interested in sponsoring Sunweb. So Dimension Data will ride BMC next year?

I dont think it´s a swap of bike sponsor. now that Andy Rihs is dead, his family (or BMC_factory co-owners) might not be interested in supplying bikes to an expensive pro team

They might be interested in supplying the bikes but not in bankrolling the team.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

Re:

17 May 2018 10:06

Heard the same about Sunweb on Cervélo.
DD might be in trouble?
User avatar claude cat

17 May 2018 10:22

Susan Westemeyer wrote:
pastronef wrote:

They might be interested in supplying the bikes but not in bankrolling the team.

ah yes. ex-BMC not riding BMCs will feel weird. and BMC bikes for another team too :p
pastronef

17 May 2018 11:20

Susan Westemeyer wrote:
pastronef wrote:

This sounds more likely. Being the bike sponsor is usually a good investment, title sponsor, probably less so.

claude cat wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2259255#p2259255</span>]GenericBoonenFan[/url] wrote:And I read somewhere that Cervélo was interested in sponsoring Sunweb. So Dimension Data will ride BMC next year?

Heard the same about Sunweb on Cervélo.
DD might be in trouble?

Cervelo are big enough to sponsor two teams. Also, Giant won’t want to be without a top tier team on their bikes. Even if neither sponsor Di Data there’s still Felt, Focus, Wilier, Look, Time etc who would happily step up.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

17 May 2018 11:21

Yeah, Look! Still ain't got no clue why they missed the chance the chance to supply AG2R and Bardet!

Furtuneo hasn't been a big team exactly, until this years Barguil transfer.
User avatar staubsauger

17 May 2018 12:40

I suspect DD will drop back to PCT which is their level - BMC should be happy if they get Cavendish as they've always a top level sprinter.
yaco

17 May 2018 18:33

I like to see Felt as a bike supplier for a team again.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

18 May 2018 13:13

Koronin wrote:I like to see Felt as a bike supplier for a team again.

I think teams might be scared, I mean they have heard what happened to Verandas-Willems right?
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

25 May 2018 23:02

Looks like Dennis will hang on for a top 13-20 finish depending on the next stage which is about what I expected. The TT gains were wiped out by the losses in the mountains. Such a crazy race is probably not a good indicator of his future but he obviously has a long way to go and to even decide what races to target outside the TTs of course. A switch back to the one week stage races eventually would not surprise me. At this point O'Connor could be a better Australian GC prospect and who knows what Haig will do in the future ? Kiwi George Bennett also looking good. Richie probably gets one or two more shots at the Tour. Dennis will probably give it a few more seasons for GC to gauge possible improvement. I think too many riders spend too long chasing top 20 finishes in GTs. Hope Dennis doesn't go the same way if he doesn't show some real improvement in the next few seasons.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

26 May 2018 06:30

movingtarget wrote:Looks like Dennis will hang on for a top 13-20 finish depending on the next stage which is about what I expected. The TT gains were wiped out by the losses in the mountains. Such a crazy race is probably not a good indicator of his future but he obviously has a long way to go and to even decide what races to target outside the TTs of course. A switch back to the one week stage races eventually would not surprise me. At this point O'Connor could be a better Australian GC prospect and who knows what Haig will do in the future ? Kiwi George Bennett also looking good. Richie probably gets one or two more shots at the Tour. Dennis will probably give it a few more seasons for GC to gauge possible improvement. I think too many riders spend too long chasing top 20 finishes in GTs. Hope Dennis doesn't go the same way if he doesn't show some real improvement in the next few seasons.

I hope Dennis gives up on GT GC for his own sake
So few riders win or podium GTs and they need to be top climbers
Dennis is strong and determined but he is not a high mountian climber. At best he will hang on for top 10s
Such punishment to try and be like Dumoulin , who is a better climber ...may deplete Dennis in other races

If I were him I'd target worlds IT and other shorther stage races and save myself from GT burnout
HelloDolly

26 May 2018 14:58

45 minutes lost today. He can probably be better in GTs, but not sure if it is worth it.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

26 May 2018 15:14

HelloDolly wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Looks like Dennis will hang on for a top 13-20 finish depending on the next stage which is about what I expected. The TT gains were wiped out by the losses in the mountains. Such a crazy race is probably not a good indicator of his future but he obviously has a long way to go and to even decide what races to target outside the TTs of course. A switch back to the one week stage races eventually would not surprise me. At this point O'Connor could be a better Australian GC prospect and who knows what Haig will do in the future ? Kiwi George Bennett also looking good. Richie probably gets one or two more shots at the Tour. Dennis will probably give it a few more seasons for GC to gauge possible improvement. I think too many riders spend too long chasing top 20 finishes in GTs. Hope Dennis doesn't go the same way if he doesn't show some real improvement in the next few seasons.

I hope Dennis gives up on GT GC for his own sake
So few riders win or podium GTs and they need to be top climbers
Dennis is strong and determined but he is not a high mountian climber. At best he will hang on for top 10s
Such punishment to try and be like Dumoulin , who is a better climber ...may deplete Dennis in other races

If I were him I'd target worlds IT and other shorther stage races and save myself from GT burnout

Worse than I expected after today but even Yates and Pinot collapsed which showed how hard a race it was this year. Chaves was ill it seems but he also had a bad race and Aru pulled out. Dennis will chalk it up to a learning experience. But yes his future probably isn't GT podiums or maybe even not top 10s. Stage wins have more value than top 10s anyway.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing