Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

06 Aug 2012 14:10

woodie wrote:If Cav wanted to be a track sprinter he would have to give up road racing for at least 2 years to build the required muscle by spending time in the gym and dedicating himself to track work while also sacrificing all his endurance to develop the pure speed, and even then it probably wouldn't work.

While road riders can generally slip into track endurance events such as the pursuit, points race, madison and so forth they couldn't do it for the sprints, and even the enduro's are spending a couple of months on the track before worlds and Olympics to get ready.

Road sprinting and track sprinting are completely different and there has to be a decision to do one or the other. I saw Mark Renshaw race against national level aussie track sprinters and when they kicked he was no where, even though he is one of the top ten road sprinters in the world.

I suggest you do some reading on the different training and energy systems needed for road and track sprinters. Cav's only chance on the track is the TP or the omnium

Agree with this. As an analogy, Mo Farah finished the 10k on Saturday night with a great sprint in the final lap that burnt off the rest of the field - he's clearly got the best kick of the 10,000 metre runners. So do you think if he changed his training he might take on the Jamaican chap in the 100 metres sprint next time around?
RownhamHill

10 Aug 2012 11:25

Just seen this tweet from disgraced ex Sky TV presenter Richard Keys, posted at midday:

"Remember where you heard this 1st - Mark Cavendish will announce he's leaving Team Sky shortly - and he won't be alone."
argyllflyer

10 Aug 2012 11:34

argyllflyer wrote:Just seen this tweet from disgraced ex Sky TV presenter Richard Keys, posted at midday:

"Remember where you heard this 1st - Mark Cavendish will announce he's leaving Team Sky shortly - and he won't be alone."

Inner Ring :D
User avatar Richeypen

10 Aug 2012 11:36

argyllflyer wrote:Just seen this tweet from disgraced ex Sky TV presenter Richard Keys, posted at midday:

He won't be alone ... Bernie will follow him to wherever he goes.
That much is no surprise.
User avatar Catwhoorg

10 Aug 2012 11:37

Catwhoorg wrote:He won't be alone ... Bernie will follow him to wherever he goes.
That much is no surprise.

Good move for all parties. Uran and Henao into this years Tour team ;) :eek:
User avatar Richeypen

10 Aug 2012 11:42

Froome? Boasson Hagen?

Well, we'll just have to wait and see I guess. More importantly, where will Cavendish go?
User avatar Arnout

10 Aug 2012 11:44

Arnout wrote:Froome? Boasson Hagen?

Well, we'll just have to wait and see I guess. More importantly, where will Cavendish go?

EBH would have to be mad to go now. Without Cav in the team he basically has a free role!

OmegaPharmaQuickstepHighroad is the name that most people have been mentioning.
User avatar Richeypen

10 Aug 2012 11:46

Considering who posted the tweet (Keys) I'd have thought his cryptic clue was in reference to one of the other big British riders...
argyllflyer

10 Aug 2012 11:49

argyllflyer wrote:Considering who posted the tweet (Keys) I'd have thought his cryptic clue was in reference to one of the other big British riders...

Which could only mean Froome. Both Cav and Froome are under big contracts. Big £££££ coming to Sky in compensation and saved wages if true!
User avatar Richeypen

10 Aug 2012 11:51

RownhamHill wrote:Agree with this. As an analogy, Mo Farah finished the 10k on Saturday night with a great sprint in the final lap that burnt off the rest of the field - he's clearly got the best kick of the 10,000 metre runners. So do you think if he changed his training he might take on the Jamaican chap in the 100 metres sprint next time around?

Someone having the best kick after 9600 usually just means that they are the best 10 000 metre runner on the day since they have been tired out the least.

Its not like cycling where people hide behind wheels and can recoup a little energy on a flat runin to the finish. Slipstream is almost non existent. Look at how Rudisha took the front yesterday. In cycling that would be suicide, like Cancellara at msr. But in running he just flew away from them, because even at 26km/h, as they were running any slipstream they got behind him was negligable. 10k is more 20-21km/h so slipstream is even less. The guy who kicks hardest is the guy freshest at that point. Its not a sprint but simply maxing out what energy levels remain.

Its likfe if Cancellara and J Rod arrived together at the top of the Crostis and had a 8k pursuit race on the flat. Cancellara may have the better 8k pursuit, but he would be so knackered and J Rod would be fresh

The guy who came 4th for example, who you thought -pff what a crap kick he has, used to before his injury problems for example do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCB-wrPIUY&t=3m35s
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

10 Aug 2012 12:02

Richeypen wrote:Which could only mean Froome. Both Cav and Froome are under big contracts. Big £££££ coming to Sky in compensation and saved wages if true!

Froome is an idiot if he were to leave sky considering that in order to force all those shackles on him, wigins had to make promises, in person and in the media - articles, tv interviews, that he would work for Froome next year.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

10 Aug 2012 12:59

Richeypen wrote:Which could only mean Froome. Both Cav and Froome are under big contracts. Big £££££ coming to Sky in compensation and saved wages if true!

More to it than that.

Cavs on about E2.4m salary I understand, whereas Boonen is on near E4m, Sky are one of the best financed teams but other teams do pay their stars more. At OPQS Cav could earn more, other teams too.

Cav and Bernie should go to a sprint focussed team, he's too good to be a bit part player. Plus Dave B has said as much and I don't think Sky will be litigious if Cav wants to go, he's done his bit and Sky are going for GCs now. If Cav wants to go I think Sky will let him, regardless of contract.

Froome won't go though I don't think, he is the heir apparant to the best team in the peloton and is earnign mega-money, why would he?
johnnycash

10 Aug 2012 13:00

Richeypen wrote:EBH would have to be mad to go now. Without Cav in the team he basically has a free role!

OmegaPharmaQuickstepHighroad is the name that most people have been mentioning.

I'm just waiting for a team to be sponsored by 5 sponsor's who all had their own team in the last few years. Maybe OmegaPharmaQuickstephighroadArgosShimanoBelisol :D

If cav goes then Eisel will go with him. Froome will stay next year at least. EBH will stay and be the lone Tour sprinter and also have free reign to go for the big breaks
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 Aug 2012 13:26

The Hitch wrote:Someone having the best kick after 9600 usually just means that they are the best 10 000 metre runner on the day since they have been tired out the least.

Its not like cycling where people hide behind wheels and can recoup a little energy on a flat runin to the finish. Slipstream is almost non existent. Look at how Rudisha took the front yesterday. In cycling that would be suicide, like Cancellara at msr. But in running he just flew away from them, because even at 26km/h, as they were running any slipstream they got behind him was negligable. 10k is more 20-21km/h so slipstream is even less. The guy who kicks hardest is the guy freshest at that point. Its not a sprint but simply maxing out what energy levels remain.

Its likfe if Cancellara and J Rod arrived together at the top of the Crostis and had a 8k pursuit race on the flat. Cancellara may have the better 8k pursuit, but he would be so knackered and J Rod would be fresh
The guy who came 4th for example, who you thought -pff what a crap kick he has, used to before his injury problems for example do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCB-wrPIUY&t=3m35s

So what you're saying is that if Mo Farah trained for the 100 metres he wouldn't stand a chance?
RownhamHill

10 Aug 2012 13:38

It's actually harder to be in the pack during a long distance number because of all the pushing.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

10 Aug 2012 13:50

RownhamHill wrote:So what you're saying is that if Mo Farah trained for the 100 metres he wouldn't stand a chance?

Generally speaking you have to be born with the fast twitch muscles, or at least be working with them from a young age, to be a sprinter. That's the case in cycling anyway, you can work at it but you'll never have the natural top end speed, Stuart O'Grady is a perfect example, fast in his hey day but not naturally so.

But it's hard to say for athletics as I know almost nothing about it but my assumption would be that it is similar to cycling in that regard.

El Pistolero wrote:It's actually harder to be in the pack during a long distance number because of all the pushing.

I don't think anyone is saying one is harder than the other.
"If there is only a 10% chance of success then I will take it because if I don't take the 10% then I have 0%"

"You know that thing in your head that says 'we shouldn't be doing this?' We don't have that"
User avatar woodie

Legendary?

13 Aug 2012 17:56

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-to-omega-pharma-quick-step

Anyone else thinks that this would be a Perfect Move for Cav?

if He could Mature into a Real Classics Rider He could become a True Legend of Cycling

a British Winner at Roubaix...........now that would get me Excited!!!!
User avatar ebandit

13 Aug 2012 17:59

If he wants to change into a rider that could potentially win Roubaix, he better stop losing weight...

Haven't seen one thing from Mark that should suggest that it would be anything close to a realistic goal to aim at.

He hasn't made a hint of that either, has he.
DominicDecoco

13 Aug 2012 18:03

El Pistolero wrote:It's actually harder to be in the pack during a long distance number because of all the pushing.

If he rides for OPQS and do a good cobbles will you barrack for him or status quo?
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

14 Aug 2012 07:37

Since when did Keys become some sort of cycling oracle?

Hes smashed it now I suppose
User avatar MartinGT

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing