Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

14 Aug 2012 09:02

The Hitch wrote:Froome is an idiot if he were to leave sky considering that in order to force all those shackles on him, wigins had to make promises, in person and in the media - articles, tv interviews, that he would work for Froome next year.

Did Wiggins said next year, or sometime in the future?
User avatar personal

14 Aug 2012 09:36

MartinGT wrote:Since when did Keys become some sort of cycling oracle?

Hes smashed it now I suppose

Yea maybe he "smashed" some woman connected to cycling.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

08 Sep 2012 19:26

I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

08 Sep 2012 23:48

Cav's been unlucky as hell with Sky this year. Crashes no fault of his own cost him the Red Jersey at the Giro, he crashed twice again at the TdF and to be far with hindsight Sky could easily have helped him to more stage wins given the amount of Time Trials there were.
MatParker117

08 Sep 2012 23:51

Don't be late Pedro wrote:Cav confirms he wants out of Sky

No one will blame him for that. He's one of the greatest sprinters the world has ever seen, he deserves his own team.
User avatar Moviefan1203

09 Sep 2012 00:22

Moviefan1203 wrote:No one will blame him for that. He's one of the greatest sprinters the world has ever seen, he deserves his own team.

+1. He will never again win the 5/6 stages per Tour that he has done in the past if he stays with Sky.
User avatar Pricey_sky

09 Sep 2012 02:47

I hope this isn't going to be something that'll drag on. We've all known for a while that he won't be there next season.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

09 Sep 2012 04:31

Moviefan1203 wrote:No one will blame him for that. He's one of the greatest sprinters the world has ever seen, he deserves his own team.

+
Imagine.. when did the last time a world champion fetching bottle and be given one rider to pull him at TDF? Only in sky :D. Sure he can win, but a dedicated team will make him a legend. :D
User avatar Jelantik

09 Sep 2012 04:35

personal wrote:Did Wiggins said next year, or sometime in the future?

he just said "in the future". So that means.. who knows? Definitely not next year. Wiggin is the defending champion. I don't think Sky care whether or not the route is mountainous.

Cav will have win less and hit the deck more often since no one will protect him.
User avatar Jelantik

09 Sep 2012 06:51

am i reading this wrong? it seems to me that cavendish's whole beef is with his lack of support in the tour. that doesn't seem to be a good reason to leave the strongest team in the protour and lose that support in all of the other races. which may not offer the prestige of the tour, but have more points, and value to a team, than a tour stage.
User avatar gregod

09 Sep 2012 09:44

Cav should almost never have been at Sky since it's a real shame HTC-Highroad wasn't able to find a sponsor and continue. He needs a team like that again, built around. When Sky have done that this year, and MSR and the Giro spring most immediately to mind, they haven't looked half as good as HTC used to, and that's with a full team pulling for him.

And while he clearly enjoyed being part of that yellow-jersey winning team, 3 stages is his worst return at the Tour. You go for yellow or you go for green, unless you have an excepitional puncheur like Sagan. Personally I like the green jersey competition as much as the yellow, so it will be brilliant to see Cav riding for someone else and challenging for the points. Sagan against Cav is mouth-watering stuff
JimmyFingers

09 Sep 2012 12:03

This gives a slightly fuller explanation of his position and reading between the lines it sounds as if Brailsford promised a lot but went back on that promise as soon as Brad started winning at the start of the year. Cav was certainly the backup plan in case Brad stuffed up like last year.

"Dave [Brailsford, team principal at Sky and performance director of British Cycling] sold me the idea last year but for some reason it hasn't worked out like that. It’s difficult to do.

"Winning the yellow jersey is the biggest thing in cycling, for me not to want a team and a company I love not to go and do the biggest thing would be wrong.

"But obviously it restricts me and what I can do as a professional cyclist myself. I have got this ambition of winning as many stages in the Tour de France as I can and I want to be somewhere I can do that. We had ambitions that can't work out.

"If they want to go and do it [win the overall in the Tour de France] again, why not? The yellow jersey is the biggest prize in sport, but Dave's stated ambitions are not really involving sprinters or a green jersey or stage wins so that puts me in a position where I am lost.

http://road.cc/content/news/65967-mark-cavendish-confirms-intention-leave-sky-and-hopes-amicable-split
Boardslide

09 Sep 2012 14:40

Cav staying at sky would be bad for all parties involved. Sky is becoming a GT team, not a sprinting team (although they still have swift et al). OPQS could gain quite a bit, Boonen + Cav would be a formidable combination.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

09 Sep 2012 14:59

As if they would ever ride together besides a few races like M-SR and G-W.

And Boonen will never work for Cavendish at Milan-San Remo. Perhaps at G-W, but Boonen is a record holder there...
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

09 Sep 2012 18:02

gregod wrote:am i reading this wrong? it seems to me that cavendish's whole beef is with his lack of support in the tour. that doesn't seem to be a good reason to leave the strongest team in the protour and lose that support in all of the other races. which may not offer the prestige of the tour, but have more points, and value to a team, than a tour stage.

For a sprinter like Cav winning green in the tour and winning stages is the main goal. And as long as Sky has guys like Wiggins, Froome, Henao, etc. cav will never have a team built to help him achieve this. And as long as Sky has as many leaders as they currently have Cav will not have a team built around him in the other stage races like the Giro or Vuelta or the week long stage races. The only races where he could have a team built entirely around him are the single day races.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

?

10 Sep 2012 20:51

i don't believe it the alberto thread has gone ballistic with multiple pics of alberto doing this and that but the cav thread goes unnoticed?

so where is cav going? which team would be best?

i hope that sky team prove reasonable and allow cav to go with no huge fee to end his contract

sadly it's been an unlucky year for cav............so many crashes..........
curse of the rainbow jersey............or always left with too much to do with team sky?
User avatar ebandit

11 Sep 2012 12:11

"Always left too much to do" ebandit? The man has an armchair ride where ever he goes.
Derrick

11 Sep 2012 15:43

ebandit wrote:i don't believe it the alberto thread has gone ballistic with multiple pics of alberto doing this and that but the cav thread goes unnoticed?

Of course - who cares about sprinters.

The great riders are the Grand Tour winners :) ;)
User avatar jyhjyh

11 Sep 2012 15:56

jyhjyh wrote:Of course - who cares about sprinters.

The great riders are the Grand Tour winners :) ;)

Belgians ?
User avatar Northern rider

11 Sep 2012 16:04

Northern rider wrote:Belgians ?

Country doesn't matter :)

No more fooling about.
-
Tbh Cavendish is the first sprinter I like to watch.
He is fantastic and is able to win in different ways.

I mean, who thougt it was intertaining to watch Zabel who could not win anything without his train?
User avatar jyhjyh

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing