Log in:  

Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

28 Sep 2012 17:18

El Pistolero wrote:Of course. :D

But he'll get his *** kicked more and more in the next years anyway, finally some talented sprinters coming up.


Still with Boonen as a leadout I think he'll do well. :rolleyes:
User avatar Caruut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,204
Joined: 30 Oct 2011 18:26

28 Sep 2012 18:16

Caruut wrote:Still with Boonen as a leadout I think he'll do well. :rolleyes:


One things for sure he'll have a strong leadout train for the Tour.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

28 Sep 2012 19:07

so.... Is Cav confirmed to ride for OPQS yet?

I honestly feel sorry for him-the best sprinter in the world-is yet to find a team a year past because of team interests/conflicts & sponsors contracts-- He's really getting wore down by this BS-is like every time he seeks stability, the obstacles keep coming at him......
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,384
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

28 Sep 2012 19:24

El Pistolero wrote:Of course. :D

But he'll get his *** kicked more and more in the next years anyway, finally some talented sprinters coming up.


Judging by his last 2 wins in this year's Tour, I'd say he's going to keep making the rest look silly. And having Tom as one of his *****es can only help him keep stacking up the wins.
King Of The Wolds
Member
 
Posts: 999
Joined: 19 May 2011 19:22

28 Sep 2012 19:28

King Of The Wolds wrote:Judging by his last 2 wins in this year's Tour, I'd say he's going to keep making the rest look silly. And having Tom as one of his *****es can only help him keep stacking up the wins.


Boonen being his leadout will make Cav lose even more races. :o

Boonen hates the Tour, what makes you think he'll be there? Sponsors won't pressure him to start anymore if Cav signs for OPQS.

Champs Elysees sprint suits Cav so well because it's short and they don't race until they hit the circuit. It's the most prestigious kersmiskoers in the world if you ask me. :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,646
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

28 Sep 2012 23:06

El Pistolero wrote:Of course. :D

But he'll get his *** kicked more and more in the next years anyway, finally some talented sprinters coming up.


I know you hate Cav but try and be realistic here :rolleyes:

It would take a very brave man to predict that with a team built around him again he wont be winning 4/5 stages per Tour for at least the next 3 seasons. Unless of course the organisers make 20 MTF's :D

Maybe in 4 years time when he focuses on the track for Rio he wont be doing any GT's so the sprinters coming through can have some stage wins.
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,631
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

29 Sep 2012 00:41

Pricey_sky wrote:I know you hate Cav but try and be realistic here :rolleyes:

It would take a very brave man to predict that with a team built around him again he wont be winning 4/5 stages per Tour for at least the next 3 seasons. Unless of course the organisers make 20 MTF's :D

Maybe in 4 years time when he focuses on the track for Rio he wont be doing any GT's so the sprinters coming through can have some stage wins.


I guess he might could do the Vuelta that year to prep for Quatar worlds which is flat. Vuelta being a better option than TOB on account of Spain actually having a summer.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,679
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

29 Sep 2012 09:51

Pricey_sky wrote:I know you hate Cav but try and be realistic here :rolleyes:

It would take a very brave man to predict that with a team built around him again he wont be winning 4/5 stages per Tour for at least the next 3 seasons. Unless of course the organisers make 20 MTF's :D

Maybe in 4 years time when he focuses on the track for Rio he wont be doing any GT's so the sprinters coming through can have some stage wins.


I am realistic. The year he broke through most sprinters were out of shape, retired or gone. It's the reason why he dominated so much. Really what kind of competition did he have in 2008/2009?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,646
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

29 Sep 2012 10:39

El Pistolero wrote:I am realistic. The year he broke through most sprinters were out of shape, retired or gone. It's the reason why he dominated so much. Really what kind of competition did he have in 2008/2009?


What about 2010-12? Maybe he got lucky then too?
User avatar Bernie's eyesore
Member
 
Posts: 1,433
Joined: 14 Sep 2011 10:03

29 Sep 2012 11:24

Bernie's eyesore wrote:What about 2010-12? Maybe he got lucky then too?


Degenkolb and Kittel became pro in 2011. They're developing into world class sprinters.

Sagan became pro in 2010 and is also capable of winning flat bunch sprints. He's still young, so the sky is the limit for him. And Greipel was Cav's team-mate until 2011. Since then he won 4 Tour stages. Matt Goss was his team-mate until this year. He also has a lot of potential as a sprinter, but I think he needs to train harder.

Cav's the fastest no doubt, but he broke through in a year where many sprinters went MIA or were part of his own team.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,646
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

29 Sep 2012 11:57

Look at stage 18, with no lead out he easily beat the field. If he can do that when he was at his olympic weight then the rest still have a lot of ground to make up if they are going to regularly beat Cavendish when he has a train and his correct weight.
Swifty's Cakes
Member
 
Posts: 429
Joined: 27 Sep 2011 14:20
Location: I'm not English, I'm Scouse

29 Sep 2012 12:07

Boonen and Cancellara weight more than Cav, why would he need to drop his weight lol? For that puny hill called Box Hill?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,646
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

29 Sep 2012 12:43

El Pistolero wrote:Boonen and Cancellara weight more than Cav, why would he need to drop his weight lol? For that puny hill called Box Hill?


I agree the weight loss made no diference at the olympics, but my point is that he was beating people this year in sprints and he has obvious scope to improve himself. IMO if he gets his old power back the others have a big gap to close.
Swifty's Cakes
Member
 
Posts: 429
Joined: 27 Sep 2011 14:20
Location: I'm not English, I'm Scouse

01 Oct 2012 16:48

User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,209
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

01 Oct 2012 18:48

A lead out train for Cav at OPQS excluding the classic's specialist Boonen

Assuming Bernie goes with him whether,

Steegmans, Tony Martin, Ciolek ?

and I wonder if Renshaw will move over too?
MellowJohnny
Member
 
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Jul 2012 18:44
Location: Under the Moonlight

01 Oct 2012 21:27

MellowJohnny wrote:A lead out train for Cav at OPQS excluding the classic's specialist Boonen

Assuming Bernie goes with him whether,

Steegmans, Tony Martin, Ciolek ?

and I wonder if Renshaw will move over too?


Ciolek is leaving IIRC?
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,209
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

01 Oct 2012 21:38

Ciolek to MTN, likely no Eisel (who lacks the speed for leadout work).

Cav will likely ride the Tour and Vuelta (due to Giro parcours) where Boonen could lead him out, assisted by an assortment from Steegmans, Fenn, Stybar and Brambilla. Martin, P. Velits (if he stays), Terpstra, Trentin and Vandewalle can be useful in the later kms.
myprotein.com code MP364739
asdfgh101
Junior Member
 
Posts: 238
Joined: 20 Jul 2010 22:28

01 Oct 2012 21:44

QS doesn't have the riders for a good lead-out train. Terpstra is not interested in riding the Tour anymore. Trentin and Fenn are too young and probably won't even make it in the Tour team.

QS needs to buy a rider à la Stefano Zanini if they want a good lead-out man for Cavendish.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,646
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

01 Oct 2012 21:58

asdfgh101 wrote:Ciolek to MTN, likely no Eisel (who lacks the speed for leadout work).

Cav will likely ride the Tour and Vuelta (due to Giro parcours) where Boonen could lead him out, assisted by an assortment from Steegmans, Fenn, Stybar and Brambilla. Martin, P. Velits (if he stays), Terpstra, Trentin and Vandewalle can be useful in the later kms.


Didn't cav say something like he's 100% doing the giro, yesterday?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,679
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

01 Oct 2012 23:25

Tom Boonen, Matt Brammeier, Sylvain Chavanel, Francesco Chicchi, Tony Martin, Gert Steegmans, Zdenek Stybar, and peter Velits I think would be a pretty good lead-out train. Not necessarily in the order I listed also.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], slosada and 31 guests

Back to top