Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Jul 2018 18:42

It does stink with the last 2 years and almost no racing. I will root for him till he retires. Hopefully it is a mind game because he has done it before and talks about it quite a bit in his book.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re: Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

09 Jul 2018 18:49

Whatever happened to Mark Renshaw?
Eli

09 Jul 2018 18:55

Eli wrote:Whatever happened to Mark Renshaw?

75th to Cav's 35th yesterday.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

09 Jul 2018 22:32

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:
Eli wrote:Whatever happened to Mark Renshaw?

75th to Cav's 35th yesterday.

Why was He that far back?...Probably partly explains why Cav isn't doing that well. An Inform Renshaw would get to the position He needs to be in
Eli

10 Jul 2018 17:35

Is it Cav getting upset when he bumps into the passing rider?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtdBwE57Kfg
AQETUYIOI

10 Jul 2018 17:43

yes, he was slow and then got passed and got pissed. Too bad he, degenkolb and some other old and slow people are now in the way of a real majestic Groenewegen vs Gaviria sprint :p

j/k. But Cavendish doesn't look like winning one anytime soon
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 17:46

Gaviria is the new Cav.

Did you see Cav speaking at the Team bus after the stage with his baby?

He's lost the drive. Seems pretty chilled out now.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

10 Jul 2018 18:14

He's been injured a lot. I hope he'll ride into some more form so he can measure himself against the rest with better legs. Cav has always been able to come out of nowhere, I hope he will improve
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Jul 2018 18:35

macbindle wrote:Gaviria is the new Cav.

He was the same with his first child too, he’s always been a family man and that hasn’t affected his career.

Slightly better effort today in that he at least was seen in the final metres, but a long way to go. I agree with what Rick said, those crashes and injuries at the start of the season have really set him back. The fact he was already talking about winning stages with a better prep next year shows he still has the hunger.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 18:57

Pricey_sky wrote:

He was the same with his first child too, he’s always been a family man and that hasn’t affected his career.

Slightly better effort today in that he at least was seen in the final metres, but a long way to go. I agree with what Rick said, those crashes and injuries at the start of the season have really set him back. The fact he was already talking about winning stages with a better prep next year shows he still has the hunger.

Has Cavendish got a team for next year?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 19:08

Benotti69 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:

Nothing confirmed yet but this was an interview from his team a few weeks ago;

"We'd love to keep Mark. He's core to our team, an amazing individual, and has done a huge amount for the Qhubeka charity. It'd be a privilege to keep Mark in the team for 2019, we'd love to keep him," Ryder told Cyclingnews.
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 Jul 2018 20:05

All he is doing is putting everyone in a false sense of security so he is unlooked upon. Still have my prediction of the amount of stages and I will foolishly stick to it.

Hopefully he does ride next year and it goes better then this one.
User avatar SHAD0W93

10 Jul 2018 20:39

Can Cav ride cobbles?

I see him trying his luck in breaks, on the classics type stages, in realisation he doesn't have the sprint speed anymore.
Broccolidwarf

Re:

10 Jul 2018 20:47

Broccolidwarf wrote:Can Cav ride cobbles?

I see him trying his luck in breaks, on the classics type stages, in realisation he doesn't have the sprint speed anymore.

Cavendish doesn't have WT level endurance or power. The only reason he finishes the Tour at all is by hiding in a peloton at all times or because they never throw out the gruppetto. So no he can't ride in a break and he can't do anything on cobbles.
hazaran

Re:

10 Jul 2018 22:20

Broccolidwarf wrote:Can Cav ride cobbles?

Yes, he can on some level. He was 30th in Paris-Roubaix two years ago.

But it's a tough ask and I don't see him succeed in the Tour outside the sprints (so his Tour days may be over).

It wouldn't surprise me if this leads to the end of his career after this season.
User avatar tobydawq

10 Jul 2018 22:32

Pricey_sky wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:

"We'd love to keep Mark. He's core to our team, an amazing individual, and has done a huge amount for the Qhubeka charity. It'd be a privilege to keep Mark in the team for 2019, we'd love to keep him," Ryder told Cyclingnews.

"....we'd love to keep him", if he takes a huge pay cut.

Think this is Cavendish's final TdF.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 01:08

He has shown in the past that he can handle being on his own so I think it is ludicrous to say he has never had WT level endurance. Now at this present point I would agree based off his extreme lack of racing miles, sickness, and injuries he most likely can not go in a breakaway and that is saying something coming from me.
User avatar SHAD0W93

11 Jul 2018 03:25

Benotti69 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:

"....we'd love to keep him", if he takes a huge pay cut.

Think this is Cavendish's final TdF.

Yep it’s over for Cav, should quit riding when Sagan smashed him into the barriers last year.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 03:40

thehog wrote:
Yep it’s over for Cav, should quit riding when Sagan smashed him into the barriers last year.

It would have been hard to quit then when he had just won 4 stages the year before.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 05:06

thehog wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:

Yep it’s over for Cav, should quit riding when he smashed himself into the barriers last year.

I have corrected that for you. :)
User avatar SKSemtex

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing