Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2018 07:58

Red Rick wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I agree with others that Cav just doesn't have the hours/race hours in this season to battle in the last K. Can he ride into form? Maybe, but realistically we shouldn't expect much until La Vuelta.

I also wonder if he is going slower, or the others are going faster?

I think it's a combination and to be honest, the sprinting field of Cav's prime was very poor. I mean, José Joaquín Rojas was one of his prime rivals (he has declined dramatically sprinting wise since, of course). It was only when Greipel began doing the Tour, he got a decent opponent.

That's not to take anything away from Cav (at least not too much) but it is the reality. I think any of Kittel, Gaviria, Groenewegen and Greipel would have dominated like Cav if they had been in his position (with regards to team support and opponent field) in their prime.

So the field was terrible in 2016 too?

No but Kittel certainly didn't have his 2013-14, 17 legs.

It was obviously the years 2008-11 I was talking about.
User avatar tobydawq

15 Jul 2018 09:02

When Kittel came on the scene people said Cav was done and his stage wins might be matched. Instead he won more when fit. Next Gaviria was the big thing on the scene and he’s already been surpassed by Groenewegen in flat tour sprints. I’m sure if Cav comes back and has a brilliant year next year then people will claim the current crop of sprinters had an off year, weren’t as good as everyone said. Cav made his opposition look ordinary, who’s to say he wouldn’t be doing the same to these guys if he was young and had his HTC train? He dominated the previous generation, his generation and some of the next generation and he may still have some stages left if he gets fit and has a decent run at it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

16 Jul 2018 09:07

I was thinking last night.

I wonder if the big thing for Cavendish is psychological. He now has a family and a lot of riders who have kids seem to lose that smash through a brick wall edge. The crashes have no doubt taken their toll, but I dunno recently he doesn't seem to have that switch the sprinters seem to turn off their brains that alerts them to danger.

I hope he can be competitive in the remaining sprints at least, that would be encouraging.
User avatar MartinGT

Re:

18 Jul 2018 15:56

macbindle wrote:Don't think he'll get round this Tour.

As predicted.

Cav well outside time limit
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

18 Jul 2018 23:15

Hard to say. It could have been just exhaustion. It did LOOK intentional though.
User avatar Screecher

19 Jul 2018 00:00

Yes because he is intentionally going to attack a cameraman not in his way. He was probably beyond exhausted from last 2 days and his lack of any race miles the last 2 seasons.

Hopefully he can go to Vuelta and win some stages then come back next year to tour with no crashes.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

19 Jul 2018 00:05

Or he got upset when his moment of defeat/weakness was documented?
AQETUYIOI

19 Jul 2018 01:03

He would be dumb if he didn't think it would happen.
User avatar SHAD0W93

19 Jul 2018 05:41

That sad as ****, kind of feels like "good bye", although I like that he finished the stage anyway and didn't sit down in the team car.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

19 Jul 2018 07:22

Screecher wrote:

Hard to say. It could have been just exhaustion. It did LOOK intentional though.

I just can’t see it being intentional, more likely on his absolute limit and not paying attention to what’s happening in front of him, we’ve seen other riders do the same.

Credit to him for finishing the stage and not getting in the broom wagon.
User avatar Pricey_sky

19 Jul 2018 08:54

User avatar spalco
Veteran

19 Jul 2018 09:02

Doesn't look good.

Vuelta should have a easy field but I don't know which sprinter Quick Step is bringing. Could also be torture if he's not good enough to win there.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

19 Jul 2018 10:21

AQETUYIOI

19 Jul 2018 10:39

Screecher wrote:

I'd say it is intentional.
Mark is a **** sometimes with little respect for those beneath him, that is my picture of him.

The cameraman wanted a photo and I bet that pissed Mark off, coming in tired and late, and he chose to tackle him. Some people may say that he was tired and didn't want people taking pictures but that is not something you can chose in the TdF. It is not like he crashed or was injured, that would have been one thing. He was just tired.
User avatar Walkman

19 Jul 2018 10:42

Walkman wrote:
Screecher wrote:

I'd say it is intentional.
Mark is a **** sometimes with little respect for those beneath him, that is my picture of him.

The cameraman wanted a photo and I bet that pissed Mark off, coming in tired and late, and he chose to tackle him. Some people may say that he was tired and didn't want people taking pictures but that is not something you can chose in the TdF. It is not like he crashed or was injured, that would have been one thing. He was just tired.

Any news on whether the cameraman survived the attack?
User avatar tobydawq

19 Jul 2018 10:47

I think he missed the cameraman!
AQETUYIOI

19 Jul 2018 12:37

The cameraman has a broken collar bone and a swollen shutter finger. He’ll do some recovery work and while the Vuelta might be too soon, he hopes to be back taking pics for the worlds and autumn classics.
Leinster

19 Jul 2018 12:43

Leinster wrote:

The cameraman has a broken collar bone and a swollen shutter finger. He’ll do some recovery work and while the Vuelta might be too soon, he hopes to be back taking pics for the worlds and autumn classics.

Is his aiming eye allright? :D
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

19 Jul 2018 17:19

Red Rick wrote:Doesn't look good.

Vuelta should have a easy field but I don't know which sprinter Quick Step is bringing. Could also be torture if he's not good enough to win there.

Actually the Vuelta will have a surprisingly strong sprint field - Viviani,Bennett,Ewan, Sagan and there is a chance that riders who dnf'ed today may start - I suspect Cavendish's career is close to being finished - he never recovered from his immense work-load in the 2106 season.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing