Register

Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Jul 2018 04:27

It does speak a lot to his character that he still finished yesterday even though he knew he would be well outside the limit compared to others who climbed off and didn't finish the stage today.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re: Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

06 Aug 2018 23:01

Mark Cavendish to participate in Arctic Race. The stage race will be held in Norway on August 16-19.
http://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1026569139568234497
Tim Booth

09 Aug 2018 22:16

He has withdrawn from European road race on medical advice to aid recovery from his injuries.
sprints n stones

09 Aug 2018 22:41

He's not injured, he's just bad, not sure you can get a sick note for that.
hazaran

10 Aug 2018 00:48

With the way the last 2 years have gone he can very well be injured or sick though I see zero reason for him to blatantly lie about it. Yes he has been bad this year but that was pretty much expected with how the year played out.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

10 Aug 2018 05:45

hazaran wrote:He's not injured, he's just bad, not sure you can get a sick note for that.

‘Recovering from injuries’ is different to being injured. It was plain to see he was still recovering from all the crashes. Hopefully he can have a decent winter and get back in to shape at the start of next season.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Aug 2018 12:23

Pricey_sky wrote:
hazaran wrote:He's not injured, he's just bad, not sure you can get a sick note for that.

‘Recovering from injuries’ is different to being injured. It was plain to see he was still recovering from all the crashes. Hopefully he can have a decent winter and get back in to shape at the start of next season.

No, he's just bad. Those injuries have healed up a long time ago.

He's just someone who needs a lot of race days to get going nowadays and because of his injuries he has had too few race days to be competitive, but that doesn't mean he's still injured.

Things aren't looking well for his career prospective. What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

10 Aug 2018 12:48

El Pistolero wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:

No, he's just bad. Those injuries have healed up a long time ago.

He's just someone who needs a lot of race days to get going nowadays and because of his injuries he has had too few race days to be competitive, but that doesn't mean he's still injured.

Things aren't looking well for his career prospective. What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?

Yes I agree, but the point remains he is still recovering and he sadly won’t be anywhere near top shape this year.

I doubt he needs the money and if he really wants one more shot at some stage wins next year then he must be willing to take a vastly reduced salary. The motivation is still there, now he just needs a stress free build up to see if the legs are still good enough.
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 Aug 2018 13:12

Do you think there is any lingering effects or recurrence of the Epstein Barr virus he had last year? He has never really been back to 'normal' form since then from memory
jarvo

14 Aug 2018 21:02

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-to-miss-arctic-race-of-norway/
Mark Cavendish to miss Arctic Race of Norway
Cavendish missed the European Championships after being advised by his medical team to not race because of unspecified "unfortunate injuries".

Dimension Data confirmed that Cavendish will skip Norway but gave no further details. "An update on Mark's return to racing will be given in due course," the team announced.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Aug 2018 21:05

That doesn't sound good. I wonder what's really up.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re:

27 Aug 2018 17:31

jarvo wrote:Do you think there is any lingering effects or recurrence of the Epstein Barr virus he had last year? He has never really been back to 'normal' form since then from memory

Mark Cavendish (33) again suffers from Epstein Barr disease
last item in this from Het Laatste Nieuws
http://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/koers-kort-broers-izagirre-trekken-naar-astana-aqua-blue-sport-gooit-handdoek-wat-met-van-aert-cavendish-heeft-opnieuw-ziekte-van-epstein-barr~a1ac9938/
Tim Booth

27 Aug 2018 17:45

Oh that is terrible for him. Hopefully he can get better and that isn't the reason he is forced to retire. I wonder if he did at least to start and get it in the tour.
User avatar SHAD0W93

29 Aug 2018 07:44

Yep- DD just Tweeted that he will miss the rest of the season due to the virus not having cleared yet.
therealthing

Re: Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

29 Aug 2018 08:13

Sky Sports are reporting he is taking an indefinite break from cycling to recover.

Could that be a 'soft' retirement?
jarvo

29 Aug 2018 09:59

Tim Booth wrote:
jarvo wrote:Do you think there is any lingering effects or recurrence of the Epstein Barr virus he had last year? He has never really been back to 'normal' form since then from memory
Mark Cavendish (33) again suffers from Epstein Barr disease

Weird articles about this, and so you have to hope Peta Todd has normal resistance, or alternatively the unlikely hope that the diagnosis was just incorrect. Some cycling fans might like to hear an excuse for lagging results in the sprints, by Cavendish high standards... and think "that's good because Cav will return to form soon enough" but the truth is that Epstein-Barr herpes virus can have some serious long-term health consequences. There isn't any antiviral drug yet for the EBV herpesvirus, so hope it just goes dormant and doesn't keep recurring like this. The team doctors wouldn't make up that particular story about the causes of Cav's symptoms, because there is no public-relations benefit in stating something so specific and potentially serious
ClassicomanoLuigi

29 Aug 2018 13:25

That's unfortunate. Viruses than lie dormant and flare up from time to time are the worst. I've had shingles twice, but years apart. Miserable.

I hope this doesn't force Cav to retire and that he can recover full health soon.
Bolder

12 Sep 2018 09:41

El Pistolero wrote:What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?

Bahrain Merida
Tim Booth

12 Sep 2018 10:07

Tim Booth wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?

Bahrain Merida

Got a link, or is it just a rumour you're putting out there?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing