Register

Simulated Tri-bars

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Should simulated tri-bar position be banned

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2012 06:57

ban the simulated tri-bar position
10%
allow short tri-bars in road events
15%
allow the simulated tri-bar position
74%

Total votes : 39

12 Apr 2012 19:44

therhodeo wrote:Its not that hard if you're reasonably flexible and can actually support yourself on your bike with your core.

For everyone else. http://www.backupbarz.com

Lol those look like they will murder you if you crash on them.
User avatar Cancellator

12 Apr 2012 19:52

Cancellator wrote:Lol those look like they will murder you if you crash on them.

I can't imagine getting over 10mph sitting that upright anyway.
therhodeo

12 Apr 2012 21:52

Cycling needs less triathlon influence, not more. And by that I mean dump TT bikes altogether.
"After studying my own case, I know the possibility of eating meat contaminated with Clenbuterol is very small but it is possible because farmers always want to boost animal growth." ~Alessandro Colò
User avatar goggalor

12 Apr 2012 22:47

gerundium wrote:Seriously? Tri bars are banned in mass start races for a reason, they pose a danger. IAB position has been used for a long time and is not inherently unsafe if you aren't a dumbass, especially among pro's who know very well when and when not to use it.

When i am riding myself i'll use this position pretty often on long, smooth and flat straights (don't use it on concrete slab roads, you'll bounce of the bar indeed)

Banning it is unneccesary, and opens up a whole new can of worms. Like what about this?

should we ban this too? he can't reach the brakes!

Or what about riding the tops, can't reach the brakes there either?

This is a bit of a silly argument if you ask me anyway, because i can't remember a crash that has been caused by IAB or could have been avoided if the rider wasn't doing IAB.

Not a lot wrong with the photographed position on a downhill run, I have seen worse like sitting on the top bar etc. and he does have a good grip on the bars. The type of aero bar I was suggesting was used a few years ago by tour riders and it comprised of a short round device with no pointed bits and it projected about 150mm from the extension but they could grip it firmly.
oaklegs

12 Apr 2012 22:59

OP, You poll should include "Learn how to ride"
User avatar RiccoDinko

12 Apr 2012 23:53

Panda Claws wrote:This poll has 2 options, both of them are bad.

You should add an "I don't know what I am talking about." option.

Rather rude Panda thingy, but as you are probably only about 12 years old and I am 75 I shall accept your silly remark anyway. Maybe when you have lost some skin due to another persons stupidity you will grow up a bit.
oaklegs

12 Apr 2012 23:56

RiccoDinko wrote:OP, You poll should include "Learn how to ride"

Well junior member when you grow up and ride with the big boys you will understand the finer points of losing skin due to another riders stupid actions.
oaklegs

13 Apr 2012 01:45

oh i am old and wise any1 that says i am wrong is young and dumb.

pfff face it, your poll is stupid because it lacks options which you don't agree with.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

13 Apr 2012 01:50

Parrulo wrote:oh i am old and wise any1 that says i am wrong is young and dumb.

pfff face your poll is stupid because it lacks options which you don't agree with.

No ****, that's quite a way to start up on the forum.

- Start a thread that's.... well let's call if controversial
- Insult other members
- PROFIT
Fetisoff

13 Apr 2012 02:11

50 posts, 4 votes, does this imply that there are in fact 46 votes for don't ban the position and maintain the ban on the bars?
karlboss

13 Apr 2012 02:13

karlboss wrote:50 posts, 4 votes, does this imply that there are in fact 46 votes for don't ban the position and maintain the ban on the bars?

It implies that its a ridiculous poll.
therhodeo

13 Apr 2012 03:18

this thread is pointless . ban all imaginary friends too
User avatar usedtobefast

13 Apr 2012 03:48

If a professional can't control his bike because he is resting his arms on the bars, well.... that just won't happen. If you ride road bikes you know that when you go into that position your not as stable but you never see anyone doing it unless they are by themselves or at the front of a little group. I ride like that often when i am against the wind and have not had troubles controlling my bike, I am sure a pro cyclist wouldn't either.
User avatar Unkown

13 Apr 2012 03:52

I ride in this position all the time when I am alone, riding with others, sometimes even racing (usually in crits when I am off the front or leading the chase), and over all kinds of road conditions and I have never had any problems. If you are balanced and stable on your bike than you shouldn't have any problem. This entire thread and poll is pointless, suggesting that we start making rules about what positions riders can ride in is ridiculous. If you want anybody to take your suggestions seriously than you need to prove that this kind of riding is actually dangerous for the pros.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

13 Apr 2012 04:02

I too ride like this against the wind. But only do it if the road isn't packed with cars. Some of the streets here in LA are pretty beat up, but yet I manage to stay in the "imaginary aero bar" position when I hit bumps on the road.
User avatar Eric8-A

13 Apr 2012 04:49

Add me tot he count of those that can't choose either of the poll options. Need a third of 'neither'
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is

13 Apr 2012 05:01

therhodeo wrote:It implies that its a ridiculous poll.

sorry about the non existent 3rd option, but not everyone cares to vote anyway it seems to me.
Did you vote?
oaklegs

13 Apr 2012 05:02

usedtobefast wrote:this thread is pointless . ban all imaginary friends too

That probably means that you will always ride by yourself, that is a shame. No one to sit behind.
oaklegs

13 Apr 2012 05:05

Unkown wrote:If a professional can't control his bike because he is resting his arms on the bars, well.... that just won't happen. If you ride road bikes you know that when you go into that position your not as stable but you never see anyone doing it unless they are by themselves or at the front of a little group. I ride like that often when i am against the wind and have not had troubles controlling my bike, I am sure a pro cyclist wouldn't either.

I agree if you are riding on your own, no worries and you probably don't wear a helmet either. However, if you are at the front of a bunch and you bring them down by riding in that position resulting in smashed equipment and bodies I think you are an idiot.
oaklegs

13 Apr 2012 05:14

Afrank wrote:I ride in this position all the time when I am alone, riding with others, sometimes even racing (usually in crits when I am off the front or leading the chase), and over all kinds of road conditions and I have never had any problems. If you are balanced and stable on your bike than you shouldn't have any problem. This entire thread and poll is pointless, suggesting that we start making rules about what positions riders can ride in is ridiculous. If you want anybody to take your suggestions seriously than you need to prove that this kind of riding is actually dangerous for the pros.

Google the name Graeme Obree (the flying Scotsman)and you will see how this tri-bar position began. And then it was controlled for safety reasons. I suppose one sometimes has to learn the hard way by losing skin and breaking bones and as long as it is just yours and not the guys behind you that is acceptable by me.
oaklegs

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing