Log in:  

Register

Simulated Tri-bars

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Should simulated tri-bar position be banned

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2012 06:57

ban the simulated tri-bar position
4
10%
allow short tri-bars in road events
6
15%
allow the simulated tri-bar position
29
74%
 
Total votes : 39

13 Apr 2012 05:30

oaklegs wrote:Google the name Graeme Obree (the flying Scotsman)and you will see how this tri-bar position began. And then it was controlled for safety reasons. I suppose one sometimes has to learn the hard way by losing skin and breaking bones and as long as it is just yours and not the guys behind you that is acceptable by me.


I already know who Graeme Obree is, did the hour record, rode in superman position, whats your point?

As I said before if you are centered and contolled on your bike it is very easy to maintain this postition without any trouble or difficulty. I never have trouble in this position and I expect the pro's to be much better bike handlers than I, so I doubt they have any trouble either.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

13 Apr 2012 05:37

oaklegs wrote:I agree if you are riding on your own, no worries and you probably don't wear a helmet either. However, if you are at the front of a bunch and you bring them down by riding in that position resulting in smashed equipment and bodies I think you are an idiot.
Ok first off why would you assume I don't wear a helmet, everybody who rides their road bike consistently wears a helmet, me included. Second, don't be calling me an idiot because I gave my opinion, and finally like AFrank said the position is stable if you know how to ride a bike. Have you even tried to ride a bike like that before or are you just assuming. When have you ever seen a pro rider bring down a lot of guys because he riding like that, never.
User avatar Unkown
Member
 
Posts: 414
Joined: 05 Feb 2012 20:59
Location: Ontario, Canada

13 Apr 2012 05:39

oaklegs wrote:sorry about the non existent 3rd option, but not everyone cares to vote anyway it seems to me.
Did you vote?

Most of us haven't voted because there isn't an option we agree with.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,470
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

13 Apr 2012 05:42

42x16ss wrote:Most of us haven't voted because there isn't an option we agree with.


This is what everyone is thinking.
User avatar Unkown
Member
 
Posts: 414
Joined: 05 Feb 2012 20:59
Location: Ontario, Canada

13 Apr 2012 06:34

Zam_Olyas wrote:ban riding on footpath to escape from cobbles is my option


New Poll! :)

And I voted just to rock the vote.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,918
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 03:19
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI

13 Apr 2012 06:39

oaklegs wrote:sorry about the non existent 3rd option, but not everyone cares to vote anyway it seems to me.
Did you vote?


2,188 views of this thread.

5 votes recorded...

:)
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,052
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 06:35
Location: Melbourne, Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:00

Afrank wrote:I already know who Graeme Obree is, did the hour record, rode in superman position, whats your point?

As I said before if you are centered and contolled on your bike it is very easy to maintain this postition without any trouble or difficulty. I never have trouble in this position and I expect the pro's to be much better bike handlers than I, so I doubt they have any trouble either.

I think my point has been already made, and once again I say if you want to risk your own safety then do it but do not risk anyone elses by riding in that position at the front of the group. If you tried it with me behind you I would simply back off after first telling you why in plain terms.
OMG where did common sense go to when the younger generation started cycling.
oaklegs
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 May 2010 06:44
Location: Perth in Western Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:01

Unkown wrote:This is what everyone is thinking.

So you in your infinite wisdom are speaking for EVERYONE now are you, what gives you the right to do that?
oaklegs
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 May 2010 06:44
Location: Perth in Western Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:03

Unkown wrote:Ok first off why would you assume I don't wear a helmet, everybody who rides their road bike consistently wears a helmet, me included. Second, don't be calling me an idiot because I gave my opinion, and finally like AFrank said the position is stable if you know how to ride a bike. Have you even tried to ride a bike like that before or are you just assuming. When have you ever seen a pro rider bring down a lot of guys because he riding like that, never.

There is always going to be a first time. If it has not happened already.
oaklegs
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 May 2010 06:44
Location: Perth in Western Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:15

I ride in the IAB position often, I also descend with my body in front of my saddle. My worst accidents on bitumen have occurred with both hands firmly on the bars and my bum on the saddle, maybe we the UCI need to attach diodes to every riders skull so they can monitor inattention and overconfidence.

I wear a helmet.

I also would like to vote "none of the above" on this poll and advise the OP to stop what is basically trolling. Sometimes it seems age doesn't automatically bring maturity.
Most people's signatures are a stupid waste of time, just like this one.
User avatar badboyberty
Member
 
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 06:41
Location: Willunga

13 Apr 2012 07:20

oaklegs wrote:So you in your infinite wisdom are speaking for EVERYONE now are you, what gives you the right to do that?


No he is saying the truth, why else would there be over 2000 thread views and just 6 votes? You have made a poll where people can only agree with you when voting. Then when people state they don't agree with you, you tell them go away and not post on this thread. How is there meant to be any sort of discussion on the issue when you come across as so self righteous and refuse to take note of anyones point of view except for those who agree with you?
Marcus135
Member
 
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Oct 2010 05:55
Location: Sydney, Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:21

oaklegs wrote:There is always going to be a first time. If it has not happened already.



So you've not seen someone crash using this position, how do you know it is unsafe? Maybe you tried and found it unstable? Skill makes everything change, what is safe unsafe for one is not for all. Just like everyone who takes their hands off the bars the first time, I'm willing to bet first time that is unstable. maybe we should ban two arm victory salutes.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

13 Apr 2012 07:38

Two arm victory salutes are way more dangerous than riding in tri-bar position.
User avatar quiqui
Junior Member
 
Posts: 222
Joined: 27 Mar 2012 03:40

13 Apr 2012 07:58

quiqui wrote:Two arm victory salutes are way more dangerous than riding in tri-bar position.


Especially as they are generally at or near outright max heartrate after a huge effort. When TTing in the pseudo position, you are generally closer to threshold than you are to max. generally! if not, that will be messy
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,052
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 06:35
Location: Melbourne, Australia

13 Apr 2012 09:43

karlboss wrote:So you've not seen someone crash using this position, how do you know it is unsafe? Maybe you tried and found it unstable? Skill makes everything change, what is safe unsafe for one is not for all. Just like everyone who takes their hands off the bars the first time, I'm willing to bet first time that is unstable. maybe we should ban two arm victory salutes.


They used to be banned in Britain for all road races, from juniors to the Independents. No idea if that ban was lifted. You would be instantly disqualified for dangerous riding.
Offtheback
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 06 Mar 2009 22:14
Location: Brisbane

13 Apr 2012 09:44

karlboss wrote:So you've not seen someone crash using this position, how do you know it is unsafe? Maybe you tried and found it unstable? Skill makes everything change, what is safe unsafe for one is not for all. Just like everyone who takes their hands off the bars the first time, I'm willing to bet first time that is unstable. maybe we should ban two arm victory salutes.

Actually you will find that two armed or even one armed victory salutes are banned in most clubs as they are in mine. That is for very obvious reasons and that is the danger that goes with them.
oaklegs
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 May 2010 06:44
Location: Perth in Western Australia

13 Apr 2012 09:47

Somebody has managed to put the "simulated tri-bar position" on the agenda. Is it off-season?
Signed,

13th best mountainbiker of the World (2004)
18th best mountainbiker of the World (2005)
Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,806
Joined: 15 Feb 2011 10:15
Location: Belgium

13 Apr 2012 09:51

Marcus135 wrote:No he is saying the truth, why else would there be over 2000 thread views and just 6 votes? You have made a poll where people can only agree with you when voting. Then when people state they don't agree with you, you tell them go away and not post on this thread. How is there meant to be any sort of discussion on the issue when you come across as so self righteous and refuse to take note of anyones point of view except for those who agree with you?

Let us get back to the beginning, the question was not intended to raise the hackles on anyone, I am actually of the old school when cyclists used to wave as they passed by everyone got on well together. It was simply asking for an opinion as follows: Poll Options
Should simulated tri-bar position be banned
1.ban the simulated tri-bar position
2.allow short tri-bars in road events
Now if anyone was offended by such a simple question then I sincerely apologize so now will you all get back to work.
Actually as I have never initiated a poll before, next time I shall make a point of including the 3rd option of None of those.
There was absolutely no need for anyone to get all annoyed and make nasty remarks. God help the motorist that upsets some of you guys, I do hope it is not me.
oaklegs
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 May 2010 06:44
Location: Perth in Western Australia

13 Apr 2012 10:10

oaklegs wrote:Actually you will find that two armed or even one armed victory salutes are banned in most clubs as they are in mine. That is for very obvious reasons and that is the danger that goes with them.


but not for pros ;)
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

13 Apr 2012 10:16

oaklegs wrote:A few years ago the practice of using small tri-bars on road bikes was allowed in major road events.
Then the practice was apparently banned for safety reasons. However now we see top bike riders such as Tom Boonen riding with their forearms on the top of the handlebars in a simulated tri-bar position. I have also seen it happening in the front of the peleton at times.

Having tried this position myself I have found it to be extremely uncomfortable and what is more it is extremely dangerous as it takes a while to get to a brake lever and if one were to hit a bump then the bike would be completely out of control.

Therefore I would like to see this practice outlawed by race managers before a serious accident occurs resulting in a mass pile up.
Bring back the small tri-bars as they were much safer.:mad:


What's this? a joke?
Absolutely keep the small tri-bars away. Simulated is fine with me. Their own choice.
It pretty much only happens when someone is solo anyways.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,210
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Geraint Too Fast, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 30 guests

Back to top