Log in:  

Register

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Jun 2018 21:54

Yea, he is a great guy and it would be amazing to ride with Klöden and him.

Wish he was able to have won the Tour more or the Giro.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

12 Jun 2018 08:59

Oh man, 2006 is still a scarf on my soul. I will never forget: in march or april or something I order some stuff on the German T-Mobile webshop and it was delayed and delayed and delayed... and then came Black Friday, a day before the start in Fribourg and that afternoon... a box finally arrived at my home with the jersey, the cap, the socks that our hero would have worn on his way to brutal humiliation of Ivan Basso and Tour de France victory.

What a painful memory.
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

12 Jun 2018 10:25

In how good of a shape was Ullrich in 2006? I mean with that route, he could easily have beaten Basso, but maybe not Robo Basso?
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,132
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

12 Jun 2018 11:06

Valv.Piti wrote:In how good of a shape was Ullrich in 2006? I mean with that route, he could easily have beaten Basso, but maybe not Robo Basso?


I believed he was in een superb form, which himself he called it a Bomben-Form. That TdS time trial was magnificent.
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re:

12 Jun 2018 14:21

Valv.Piti wrote:In how good of a shape was Ullrich in 2006? I mean with that route, he could easily have beaten Basso, but maybe not Robo Basso?

He won Tour de Suisse that year, even though, as I recall, Koldo Gil was beating him on the climbs. And he won the long TT in the Giro ahead of Basso, but not by much.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,286
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

12 Jun 2018 17:52

Poor Kessler, I had no idea he was paralyzed
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,019
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: Re:

12 Jun 2018 18:45

Pennino wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:In how good of a shape was Ullrich in 2006? I mean with that route, he could easily have beaten Basso, but maybe not Robo Basso?


I believed he was in een superb form, which himself he called it a Bomben-Form. That TdS time trial was magnificent.

I dont doubt it, look how (relatively) skinny he was around that time.

Image
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,546
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

Re:

12 Jun 2018 18:57

Pennino wrote:Oh man, 2006 is still a scarf on my soul. I will never forget: in march or april or something I order some stuff on the German T-Mobile webshop and it was delayed and delayed and delayed... and then came Black Friday, a day before the start in Fribourg and that afternoon... a box finally arrived at my home with the jersey, the cap, the socks that our hero would have worn on his way to brutal humiliation of Ivan Basso and Tour de France victory.

What a painful memory.


Do you really believe in that? :rolleyes:

Sure, Jan was a great rider with a unique panache and Ivan had the Giro in his legs, but how could you be so sure he would have "humiliated" the only rider who managed to stay with LA on the climbs in 2004 and 2005 Tours (bar Courchevel 2005)?
User avatar Ivan_Basso_77
Junior Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 18:19
Location: Karlovo, Bulgaria

Re: Re:

12 Jun 2018 19:47

classicomano wrote:
Pennino wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:In how good of a shape was Ullrich in 2006? I mean with that route, he could easily have beaten Basso, but maybe not Robo Basso?


I believed he was in een superb form, which himself he called it a Bomben-Form. That TdS time trial was magnificent.

I dont doubt it, look how (relatively) skinny he was around that time.


He says in the interview he cracked in 1998 because he was skinnier than other years, so I wouldn't look to that
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,019
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

13 Jun 2018 00:33

It would have been a grest race because he beat Basso in the TT when he was in not as good form plus both teams were stacked. If he was in or close to 03 form he had a high chance of winning while if it was 97 no one would have touched him.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re: Re:

13 Jun 2018 19:07

Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:
Pennino wrote:Oh man, 2006 is still a scarf on my soul. I will never forget: in march or april or something I order some stuff on the German T-Mobile webshop and it was delayed and delayed and delayed... and then came Black Friday, a day before the start in Fribourg and that afternoon... a box finally arrived at my home with the jersey, the cap, the socks that our hero would have worn on his way to brutal humiliation of Ivan Basso and Tour de France victory.

What a painful memory.


Do you really believe in that? :rolleyes:

Sure, Jan was a great rider with a unique panache and Ivan had the Giro in his legs, but how could you be so sure he would have "humiliated" the only rider who managed to stay with LA on the climbs in 2004 and 2005 Tours (bar Courchevel 2005)?


Well, I would like to preserve my memory like that ;)
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

13 Jun 2018 19:24

Ivan_Basso_77 wrote:
Pennino wrote:Oh man, 2006 is still a scarf on my soul. I will never forget: in march or april or something I order some stuff on the German T-Mobile webshop and it was delayed and delayed and delayed... and then came Black Friday, a day before the start in Fribourg and that afternoon... a box finally arrived at my home with the jersey, the cap, the socks that our hero would have worn on his way to brutal humiliation of Ivan Basso and Tour de France victory.

What a painful memory.


Do you really believe in that? :rolleyes:

Sure, Jan was a great rider with a unique panache and Ivan had the Giro in his legs, but how could you be so sure he would have "humiliated" the only rider who managed to stay with LA on the climbs in 2004 and 2005 Tours (bar Courchevel 2005)?


116 timetrial kms would have been a big advantage for Ullrich. Even out of shape during the Giro he was 30s faster than Basso. In peak shape he would have gained at least 5 minutes in the 3 timetrials. The 2006 route was tailor made for Ullrich.
skippo12
Member
 
Posts: 325
Joined: 14 May 2017 14:34

Re: Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

15 Jun 2018 13:14

In 2006 we would have finally seen the real Ullrich, the 96-98 Ullrich again. That's what makes it so hard to swallow. In 2006 his preparation was state of the art in every aspect. Much different to what it was from 99 - 05.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

15 Jun 2018 17:21

Not at all. He was injured for months and didn't start training till April. It was his worst preparation since 2002.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,019
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re:

15 Jun 2018 23:09

GuyIncognito wrote:Not at all. He was injured for months and didn't start training till April. It was his worst preparation since 2002.


Don't kill the dream! :D
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

16 Jun 2018 19:48

Nothing has come close to the kind of hype that he got after the first long ITT in the 2003 Tour de France, I still remember how people lost their mind and how everyone thought that the young Ullrich had finally returned.
My god, what a Tour, Mayo, Vino, Ullrich, Tyler being hard as nails, if I think about that Tour I still feel like the young boy who fell in love with this sport.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,243
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

16 Jun 2018 21:18

GuyIncognito wrote:Not at all. He was injured for months and didn't start training till April. It was his worst preparation since 2002.


That's not entirely true, he had a very good winter without any illnesses. He had his knee problems in march, but he had a good base .
Anyaway that was not what I was refering too when I meant his preparation was finally state of the art again, but of course, I know that's the wrong section of the Forum.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

Re:

16 Jun 2018 21:21

Mayomaniac wrote:Nothing has come close to the kind of hype that he got after the first long ITT in the 2003 Tour de France, I still remember how people lost their mind and how everyone thought that the young Ullrich had finally returned.
My god, what a Tour, Mayo, Vino, Ullrich, Tyler being hard as nails, if I think about that Tour I still feel like the young boy who fell in love with this sport.


If only Ullrich had tried an earlier attack the next day. I still don't get over that. Why the hell did he not try it.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

Re:

16 Jun 2018 21:30

Mayomaniac wrote:Nothing has come close to the kind of hype that he got after the first long ITT in the 2003 Tour de France, I still remember how people lost their mind and how everyone thought that the young Ullrich had finally returned.


Shame he lost so much time on Alpe d'Huez with a stomach bug and diarrhea
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,019
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

16 Jun 2018 22:14

Or not previewing the last ITT in person instead of watching a video. Unfortunately, we have all the hindsight compared to in the moment. I wish he had won another Tour and same with Klöden winning a GT.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 26 guests

Back to top