Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

17 May 2017 08:55

Red Rick wrote:Im not that sure Nibali is on active decline. Sure, he hasn't repeated the form of 2013 and 2014, but I'm ot sure that's due to age. He stopped trying in **** small races (cav approves) and continued winning big ones so far.

These are surely the best first 10 days of a GT he's had in a long time.
Hard to tell wether he'll be able to further improve his level, as he's done last year or in the 2015 Tour. He could be peaking earlier than usual.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

17 May 2017 09:05

Great TT! I Hope he'll getting better to end of the Giro! And after this I hope for Vuelta!
User avatar Oliver

Re:

17 May 2017 09:33

Red Rick wrote:Im not that sure Nibali is on active decline. Sure, he hasn't repeated the form of 2013 and 2014, but I'm ot sure that's due to age. He stopped trying in **** small races (cav approves) and continued winning big ones so far.

He said that he didn't had a proper winter holiday until 2012, then he married Rachele. He wants time with his family, it is very important and of great value to him so gradually, also with age, he became focused only on big races. I don't think he's a workaholic and is notorious for waking up late. Pro cycling asks for huge sacrifices that I think he no longer wants to take at the same level as in the past. Slongo is the man who knows how to manage this and put him to real work when it's needed, Nibs said that between the two there's a love-hate relationship.
User avatar Rollthedice

17 May 2017 19:25

My take is he's a bit off top form like Quintana in the 2016 TDF - he may still be crafty enough to eke out a podium.
yaco

17 May 2017 19:28

He still looks on the improve. The thing is, even if he manages to crack Dumoulin I can't see how he then also goes past Quintana. Because then he needs to be within 1 minute of Quintana on the final ITT. It seems very unlikely.

It's more likely Nibali helps win Quintana or Dumoulin the Giro by his actions (either helping Nairo in an attack or helping Dumoulin in a chase) then actually winning it himself.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

17 May 2017 19:32

Didn't look very strong today but TD and Mollema didn't look good either. Seems weaker than Quintana and Pinot. So he should try to gain time on Quintana whenever he can even though Nibali will probably get better but Quintana shouls till outclimb him. Let's see how he does against Quintana and TD on Oropa.
Forever The Best

17 May 2017 19:33

If he needs to, he will attack over Grappa, distance Nairo just enough on the descent (will be difficult with Amador) and connect up to teammates from the break. Yeah, seems way too farfetched with the strength of Movistar...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2017 19:36

Netserk wrote:If he needs to, he will attack over Grappa, distance Nairo just enough on the descent (will be difficult with Amador) and connect up to teammates from the break. Yeah, seems way too farfetched with the strength of Movistar...
Quintana in maglia rosa with a huge advantage on TD would be the perfect scenario for Nibali to go ballistic on Bormio or Asiago since Movistar riders would probably be in the peloton all day when Nibali goes and Quintana may be alone at the back while Nibbles has one of Pellizotti-Siutsou and some Italian riders to help him _O_
Forever The Best

Re:

17 May 2017 19:42

yaco wrote:My take is he's a bit off top form like Quintana in the 2016 TDF - he may still be crafty enough to eke out a podium.

He's lot better than he was last year.
Brullnux

17 May 2017 19:59

The good thing is he's still confident in his descending skills after Rio, he attacked a bit downhill today but there will be plenty opportunities in the last week. I think Dumoulin will be dispatched by Movistar, the sooner the better. Then we'll see.
User avatar Rollthedice

17 May 2017 20:16

Vince out of the saddle, in the drops stretches them out......
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-nibali-expected-a-quintana-attack-that-never-came-on-stage-11/

I think he is rounding into form :). Major Tom has no team and will weaken, Quintana is the problem.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

17 May 2017 21:00

It seemed like a pretty toothless attack, but you never know if you never try. He managed to drop Kruijswijk and Thomas, thats something.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

17 May 2017 22:13

Valv.Piti wrote:It seemed like a pretty toothless attack, but you never know if you never try. He managed to drop Kruijswijk and Thomas, thats something.

It was mostly a strange attack. He was at the front of the group when he attacked so the other riders never were outside his slipstream. Moreover he also didn't have a very impressive acceleration. It looked as if he just set a slightly higher pace at the front of the group for a few seconds and expected to get away like that. He really rather should have tried to get a gap on the last 100 meters of the climb with an explosive attack and then extend his advantage on the descent.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 May 2017 22:19

Nibali in the saddle is quickly reaching the myth of Contador sprinting on the hoods
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Re:

17 May 2017 22:22

Rollthedice wrote:

He said that he didn't had a proper winter holiday until 2012, then he married Rachele. He wants time with his family, it is very important and of great value to him so gradually, also with age, he became focused only on big races. I don't think he's a workaholic and is notorious for waking up late. Pro cycling asks for huge sacrifices that I think he no longer wants to take at the same level as in the past. Slongo is the man who knows how to manage this and put him to real work when it's needed, Nibs said that between the two there's a love-hate relationship.

Very interesting.

Nibali seems like the rider who's not gonna ride until his late 30s. When he has that season where it doesn't work, I just hope it stings him hard enough that he'll give it one last big **** off last hurrah.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

17 May 2017 22:55

Gigs_98 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:It seemed like a pretty toothless attack, but you never know if you never try. He managed to drop Kruijswijk and Thomas, thats something.

It was mostly a strange attack. He was at the front of the group when he attacked so the other riders never were outside his slipstream. Moreover he also didn't have a very impressive acceleration. It looked as if he just set a slightly higher pace at the front of the group for a few seconds and expected to get away like that. He really rather should have tried to get a gap on the last 100 meters of the climb with an explosive attack and then extend his advantage on the descent.

Yes, but apparantly he doesn't stand up in the pedals no more, he will need much harder stages to attack where people are on the limit if its his plan to accelerate like this. I think its a very good strategy to do that when responding to attacks, but he is easy to shut down. And besides, it didn't seem like he had any more left anyways, somewhat of a tester I imagine.

Meanwhile, Visco doing the same thing he did at Movistar, chasing those stage victories.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

18 May 2017 00:00

Nibali never was an explosive rider. Nowadays, even less.
I guess he's turning into Ivan Basso v2.
User avatar lenric

18 May 2017 02:01

Valv.Piti wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

Yes, but apparantly he doesn't stand up in the pedals no more, he will need much harder stages to attack where people are on the limit if its his plan to accelerate like this. I think its a very good strategy to do that when responding to attacks, but he is easy to shut down. And besides, it didn't seem like he had any more left anyways, somewhat of a tester I imagine.

Meanwhile, Visco doing the same thing he did at Movistar, chasing those stage victories.

Froome does the same, also when he is responding to attacks, he never gets out of the seat but it's kind of an odd change for Nibali at this point in his career. Contador and to a lesser extent Porte seem to be the only good GT riders who spend more time out of the seat now. Contador just stopped spinning small gears.
movingtarget
Veteran

18 May 2017 02:23

I think Bardet also spends some time out of the saddle.
User avatar lenric

18 May 2017 03:27

Just saw the beef between Tom Domoulin and Nibali.
Man, this guy likes to fight!
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing