Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

15 Dec 2017 21:11

Nibali in the Ronde? I need this in my life
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

15 Dec 2017 22:07

Valv.Piti wrote:
deValtos wrote:Playing the "what if" game for a second ...

If Froome wasn't in the Vuelta do we reckon Nibali would've finished first?

Or would the dynamic be so different that Contador would've won?

Most certainly IMO. Contador was stronger than Nibali was. Without Sky, Im pretty sure Contador would have won!

That was my first thought when i read the notice about Froome. And it was sad for me, and i believe for him( Contador)...
Some people can argue that Nibali was 2nd., and in fact it was, but wthout team sky it would have been a diferent game, without them Contador attacks had produced bigger gaps and much more trouble to the other riders because it´s sky train that follow him... Contador would have won that vuelta. That it´s very sad. It´s sad for him, it´s sad for Nibali that didn´t was able to get the feeling of win it ( or not) in the field...

I just don´t understand if UCI knew that Froome produced that result how they allowed hom to win that vuelta and participate in the worlds. Something is wrong and i´m affraid that cycling ( my favorite sport) regress again to the eyes of the people and sponsors... It´s a shame, cycling was getting better without so much doping cases.

Let´s wait and see what is going to happen next, but i´m really sad that Contador didn´t end the carreer with a victory in his last GT.
User avatar filipepc

Re:

16 Dec 2017 10:34

Red Rick wrote:Nibali in the Ronde? I need this in my life

Apparently after talking with Rik Verbrugghe (hired by Bahrain in September as a sports director) Nibali proposed Ronde van Vlaanderen. Rik says that "Nothing definitive has been decided yet, but in view of a Tour with a heavy cobbled ride, this seems like a good choice" "Bahrain-Merida has only four Flemish races oriented riders, so Vincenzo does not take anyone's place. The Ronde is also perfect in the Ardennes classics, Paris-Roubaix is ​​not."
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

16 Dec 2017 11:09

Rollthedice wrote:

Apparently after talking with Rik Verbrugghe (hired by Bahrain in September as a sports director) Nibali proposed Ronde van Vlaanderen. Rik says that "Nothing definitive has been decided yet, but in view of a Tour with a heavy cobbled ride, this seems like a good choice" "Bahrain-Merida has only four Flemish races oriented riders, so Vincenzo does not take anyone's place. The Ronde is also perfect in the Ardennes classics, Paris-Roubaix is ​​not."

That's certainly true. Roubaix is more dangerous, probably requires a lot more recovery, and de Ronde has a lot more precedent for Ardennes riders mixing it in.

Who's the designated leader, Colbrelli? Anyway, Nibali has nothing to lose, so I'd be hoping for him to make a speculative move.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Dec 2017 12:17

Interesting, I recently had a discussion with my uncle about who was the most complete cyclist in the pro peloton. I went with the shark, he went El Imbatido.

Anyways, Verbrugghe should be able to guide him safely true the cobbles, and perhaps he'll leave wanting more ;)
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

16 Dec 2017 13:17

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Interesting, I recently had a discussion with my uncle about who was the most complete cyclist in the pro peloton. I went with the shark, he went El Imbatido.

Anyways, Verbrugghe should be able to guide him safely true the cobbles, and perhaps he'll leave wanting more ;)

It always boils down to versatility in abilities to versatility in race coverage.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

16 Dec 2017 13:24

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Interesting, I recently had a discussion with my uncle about who was the most complete cyclist in the pro peloton. I went with the shark, he went El Imbatido.

Asked by Marca about LBL he said:
"I have been second, eighth, tenth, fifth ... and last! [Laughs] In my first year as a professional [2005]. How beautiful is Liege!"
Then the inevitable Valverde question, the great rival who won it four times:
"Valverde, Alaphilippe, many great champions will go there to fight for the victory. What do I have to do for winning? Overcome them all, hahaha!"
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

16 Dec 2017 13:30

YES please!
User avatar jsem94

16 Dec 2017 19:36

Oh man, so much more relaxed after going to TBM!
User avatar Climbing

17 Dec 2017 08:09

And to think I disliked Nibali before 2014 lol.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re:

17 Dec 2017 10:59

Climbing wrote:Oh man, so much more relaxed after going to TBM!

He definitely is... :lol: :lol: :lol:

From instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcxJwrsHmHw/
Last edited by huge on 17 Dec 2017 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
huge

17 Dec 2017 11:00

huge wrote:

"How's that coffee Vincenzo?"
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

17 Dec 2017 14:05

Red Rick wrote:
huge wrote:

"How's that coffee Vincenzo?"

Well if Froome can double dose, watch me go after this!
wheresmybrakes

Re:

18 Dec 2017 12:07

I won't surprised if he finish top 10
Alpe-Thibaut

18 Dec 2017 13:23

Alpe-Thibaut wrote:

It is not certain he'll take part and given that there are 20 days from Ronde to his target LBL he might not be ready to contest anything. He said he doesn't even know what to expect in Ronde if he goes. On the other hand either a suicide attack on Cote de Cherave or top 10 in Fleche is to be expected.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

18 Dec 2017 15:17

Rollthedice wrote:
Alpe-Thibaut wrote:

It is not certain he'll take part and given that there are 20 days from Ronde to his target LBL he might not be ready to contest anything. He said he doesn't even know what to expect in Ronde if he goes. On the other hand either a suicide attack on Cote de Cherave or top 10 in Fleche is to be expected.

Is he planning on riding the Amstel?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Dec 2017 15:24

Rollthedice wrote:
Alpe-Thibaut wrote:

If he goes to the Ronde he'll be going with little ambition indeed. I don't expect any result in de Ronde at all, and it's just to get used to riding on cobbles in a peloton again, without the risk of PR.

However, he might like the experience of the Ronde itself and have a shot at it in the near future. Let's hope for that. He isn't getting any younger, so if he wants to add more monuments to his palmares, it's time he starts riding (and focusing on) them ;-)
Valanga

18 Dec 2017 16:02

Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Alpe-Thibaut wrote:

Is he planning on riding the Amstel?

Yes.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

18 Dec 2017 16:09

jsem94 wrote:

YES please!

YES :)
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

19 Dec 2017 02:47

Just realising that Nibali could one day end up with as many GT's as Contador. '17 Vuelta, '18 Tour, '19 Giro?

Never thought I would ever see the day. Well I may not, but I might.
User avatar gregrowlerson

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing